Help with a little world Building

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Seeing how the collective reaction to the one story idea is one person willing to give it a shot, and the others finding increasingly more things to cringe about, lets go with the next best idea and one far older:

THis might be multiple posts just for the first army idea.

Convert my material I used for fanfic on a Warhammer: Dark Elves Army fan sight into none Games Workshop owned stuff.

Also my old computer died so I am going off what I saved and on the top of my head here,

I am trying to convert some old ideas, and figured I would start at the beginning of my character's journey back in the lands of the high elves.

I will skip over some of the technobabble and timy whimy gobligook, but Ineed some help with world building and I figrue nations and armies are a good place to start.

Since this started out as warhammer fanfic, I will for my own sanity in planning battles do mick fights with myself with rule sets borrowed here and there, but as the big battles are not going to happen yet I am mostly going to use them for battling.

Main Eurasian continent I am modeling on a Brontosaurus coming out of a swamp, the land of the high elves looks like a massive arrow head. The empire is much smaller since the once unified elves have split into different fractions, but the high elves have some colonies.

Tech wise: Most humans are going to be early firearm stage. Shield Walls and knightly charges are still a thing, a few even still use chariots.

One thing I am planning for future books is no race is wholly evil, and the few that are are very far and very few between. This means there are good orcs and bad orcs, heroic and villainous goblins; high elves you want to punch their pretty little teach out and dark elves you want to have a pub crawl with.

And then I got over zealous in coming up with ideas for different armies in the high elves, so need some help cutting some fat (namely elements GW will get upset by) and go from there.

Starting with high elves, I am basically doing old skaven idea where you have your mainstay units and then ones you can have as auxiliaries from the other clans, and High elves will be the test idea.

So now for the fluffy background

Typical elves: Most elves would look and act like children up until their mid to late 70's when they start entering puberty. The high elves usually keep a good education, then begun at least 3 decades of training, 20 years active service, and then on and off throughout the years and spend the rest of their time doing their own career paths. Many just learn enough to defend themselves and take up a club or spear in a jiffy, and either act as cooks, medics, smiths, or advisors. The more scholarly of the group can see themselves in doing the paperwork for the armies.

Though elves live in kingdoms, and each kingdom usually ruled by nobles, the lower class expect a lot from the upper crust and are not afraid to sling some mud or arrows if they treat them badly.

Elves tend to be pointy eared, swift, and dexterous, and built like like runners. There are some voluptuous ladies here and there, but unless magic is used, rare. Very muscular is also uncommon. There are some, such as one of the friends the main has, but this is limited to a few clans of dedicated monster hunters for the most part.

Magic is highly respected and used. Most elves have a dabbling at best, but wizards are present in all kingdoms and can act as aids to mines and farming communities, or or seers and aids, or even priests and priestess of certain deities. Others can use their gifts in defense of their homes or going off to war.

Common units through out the kingdoms.
Most of the kingdoms are named after gem stones or equally decorative gem like objects like amber and pearls.

The heart of most high elf armies are the spearmen and archers. Commoners receive training in both, but elves that show more aggression, bad aim, or do not meet the high standards of the trainer for rate of fire go to the spear ranks.

The spears I am largely treating like Greek phalanxes or blocks of pikemen; dangerous in the front, good offensive and defensive, bane of horsemen and monsters, but weak on the flanks and rear.

High elves use long bows, and will either skirmish with a shorter reaching but still deadly normal bows for smaller units of scouts. The larger units will form three or four rank deep gun lines of long bows which have a great range, but can go through some armors at half range.

Many an athlete are not exempt form combat, and the fastest runners usually go out with javelins. Either they run to the flanks and harass the enemy, or stand behind small spearmen blocks or blocks of swordsmen and hurl death from above while the enemy is busy dealing with the front.

Knights come in two varieties, foot nights in heavy armor, sword and shield footmen called foot knights (might give them an option to carry halberds or great swords) and normal ones that ride on barded horses with lance, breaking enemy lines.

Commanders usually come form noble families but a few rise up due to their talent. Many are captains of the army, leading the various sections of the armies, carrying the general's army or leading smaller sections of it for smaller skirmishes. The generals of a legion may often come from elite families, but no one wants the shame of an idiot destroying the family's reputation by loosing in a stupid matter. Usually good strategists, but nepotism is still a thing and elves have big egos.

They might be on horses, one of the different regional special mounts, griffons, or even a variety of dragons. Different dragons choose different things. Savage reds like the smell of battle, while flighty Coastal want to be the fasting thing around. Even when you think you have figured it out, they can surprise you. The black scaled and hearted swamp dragons, notorious for their cruelty streak, might choose an innocent child as their partner or even master if they amuse or impress them enough.

[note with my dragons, they can either do the breath attack like the 7th or 8th edition, or they can strafe enemy formations as they fly over enemy formations for play testing how a fight might work out. I was surprised this was never actually used in the game since we see this again and again in other media.]

Griffons are said to be smarter than their rider and very nobble. Strong and loyal in a fight, about the size of a good size truck or bigger.

A few brave or brazen ones might try manticores which tend to have a viscous steak, but are born brawlers with nasty claws and a poisonous stinging tail.

Common war machines are 3 styles of balista (giant crossbows used as anye olden seige weapon)

The typical size are called bear claws and hit like a charging bear. Can hurl spear length bolts or when laying siege to fortresses or particularly armored foes shaped round stones like early cannon balls. Either way, can go through ranks or do serious harm to monsters.

The smaller ones are called Wasp Sting Ballista and are modeled off Roman Scorpions. They are much weaker, but can field several teams of 2 or 3 and are much easier to move around.

The final type are called stag horn as they keep a pair of discarded antlers as a traditional target assist. This is a repeating bolt thrower, and while it lacks the range and power of the bear claw, or the maneuverability of the wasp sting, but can get a lot of foot long bolts out with a good steady cranking (think the model they made by the Heinamen and Savage in an old episode of Mythbusters way back when).

Would you guys like to see the other high elf stuff i have pulled out of the air