Helpful Old Lady Ruins 200-Year-Old Portrait

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Helpful Old Lady Ruins 200-Year-Old Portrait

Jesus Christ has never looked so ... hairy.

An octogenarian woman living in Borja, Spain, was appalled to discover that a 200-year-old fresco of Jesus Christ taken from a 16th century hospice had fallen into disrepair. Being the helpful sort, she took it upon herself to "restore" the painting, despite having little, or indeed no, experience in art restoration.

The results speak for itself. What was once a dignified portrait of the Lamb of God, now more closely resembles a crayon sketch of a mildly obese howler monkey in a dress. Of course, judging the image in its current state is somewhat unfair, as it isn't anywhere near finished. At some point, it became apparent to the amateur painter that she was way out of her league, and she contacted the local cultural heritage institution to inform them of the changes she'd made.

The painting, by 19th-century artist, Elias Garcia Martinez, was worth little, even before its impromptu restoration, but it apparently held a great deal of sentimental value for locals. It was donated to the Centro de Estudios Borjanos by Martinez's granddaughter only a few weeks previously.

While western culture isn't exactly hurting for paintings of Jesus performing his trademark head tilt, it's always tragic when art is lost, be it to war, theft, decay or, in this case, excess helpfulness.

Source: Centro de Estudios Borjanos [http://cesbor.blogspot.com.es/2012/08/un-hecho-incalificable.html] via Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/ykyww/an_old_church_in_spain_needed_to_restore_a_worn/]

(Grid Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/publicplaces/7378412974/sizes/l/in/photostream/])

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
To say that she is in need of glasses, is an understatement.

At this point, it's glasses and anti-dementia drugs, or something, good lord.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Honestly I'm always amazed at the length people go before they realize they should've quit while they were ahead.
That said, I can only chuckle when imagining her initial reaction being something along the lines of:

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Mistakes were made, but yeah, A for effort.

Jesus actually looks slightly more like an Arab in the 'restored' image.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
Ldude893 said:
Mistakes were made, but yeah, A for effort.

Jesus actually looks slightly more like an Arab in the 'restored' image.
show me one Arab that looks like that.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Look, I'm not religious, but I do appreciate art.

Art decays over time. It's unfortunate and sad, but true.

She... Did a terrible job. And it's sad to see a fairly decent painting turned into a 9 year old's art class project.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
I like it. Dark colors and simple lines and shapes make for an interesting interpretation of the man.

I'd still rather see the old work restored, but she did a pretty good job.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Okay. I was having a very bad week up until this point, but this is bloody hilarious.

Smooth move, lady, smooth move.