Helpful Old Lady Ruins 200-Year-Old Portrait

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Forever when I see jesus I will think of the howler monkey now.. Religion just got a whole lot more appealing!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The second coming of Jesus Christ... as a bloated chia pet.

Well worth the 2000 year wait, I'd say.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
SnakeoilSage said:
Nobody ever draws Jesus looking confident and optimistic, a firm believer in his ideals of peace and good will to others. They always draw him with this limp, cast-his-eyes-to-the-heavens as if to say "WTF dad romans crucified me" look.
I dunno, some of the religious images of him in my grandmothers place had this really freaky 'I forgive you' look. It wasn't so bad, it just that there were smaller versions of them next to the light switches for some reason.

SomeBrianDude

Nov 30, 2010
Words can't do justice to how much I laughed after I first saw this. It was a proper, full-on belly laugh for about 20 minutes, then fits of giggles for about 2 hours whenever I thought about it. Every time I'm feeling down, I'll remember this, and feel the blues no more.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Is it a copy or is it the real deal?

Either way that's funny as fuck LOL :p

On a more serious side, wasted a good piece of art :(

dtgenshiken7

Aug 4, 2011
Normally I'd just stay quiet, her being an old lady and all, but GOOD LAWD, what has she done? I'm sort of an art conoisseur, so I suppose maybe I would get a little bit more agitated at this than most, but what was she thinking? And grey, that was the single greatest comment I have ever seen. A mildly obese howler monkey in a dress. My day is made.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I bet there's a special circle of hell for people who make Jesus look like a howler monkey. It's not too bad of a place, but you have to live for the rest of eternity looking like what you'd created. If that turns out to be the case, I would not want to be that woman.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'm sure god will forgive her.

That said, my inner geek wants to know if this picture will catch on in fandom, and start making apperances in the backround art of games and such. Just imagine your shooting up a museum and see that hanging on the wall, or find it hanging in a church or something. :)

It could be a fun inside joke for a while if it wasn't overdone.

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
All of the news outlets are like "awww she had her heart in the right place". They are being incredibly nice cause she was old, but if someone in their twenties did it, everyone would be declaring them to be idiots. Yet another strike that our elders know what is best and are wise.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
While certainly an "interesting" take, it still upsets me that another piece had to be used. Hopefully there's something that can be done to reverse the damage, but at this point I'm not holding out.

I'm surprised no one has made a Dolan comparison, because this definitely looks like a Dolan character

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I lol'd.
I'm not religious and I'm not laughing because of that. Just the fact that the lady thought "Hey! I bet I can restore this AND make it better! If anyone can do this, it's me!". And then at some point she thought "Hm, this isn't as easy as Bob Ross makes it look. Maybe I oughta get some input from an expert, just so that they can see I'm being helpful and to help me finish it up".

What was the old lady smoking?! And how come no one stopped her before she even picked up the first crayon and aimed it at the painting?

Either way, I guess it's not that bad considering she was an amateur. I mean, yeah, it sucks. She literally vandalized an old work of art. But if she had done it from scratch, it'd be decent.
AdamG3691 said:
I think it looks pretty good acturally
[puts on snobby beret] it's a commentary on the concept of abstract religion, being only what we personally see, the fact that he's missing half of his face represents that we must each fill in our own interpretation of the true face of religion[/beret]

huh? it's NOT modern art?
so I didn't need to make up a bullshit reason for it?
No, no. You're right. In fact, you might have just saved tons of people a couple of years of art school.
Why, good sir, are you an art teacher? You sure sound like it!

Draxz

May 2, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
The second coming of Jesus Christ... as a bloated chia pet.

Well worth the 2000 year wait, I'd say.
So the second coming is this year, right?

Wait... I thought you said 'China'... Either way, if it was 'China' he'd come back as a Dragon (Year of the Dragon). I heard that Swine flu and Bird flu were invented by the government (appeared) on the years of the Pig and the Bird.

Greni

Jun 19, 2011
The7Sins said:
It may be easy to be overzealous but sometimes the easy overzealous action is the correct one.
Notsureif.txt

Anyway, it's all a huge lulz for me. I may not be a religious man or the most hygienic, but the original was rather shit, and the restored is hilarious. I think that's an upgrade.