Helpful Old Lady Ruins 200-Year-Old Portrait

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
Aw, I feel sorry for her. She really just wanted to help, and didn't realize till it was too late. I find it hard to be very resentful of bad results from good intentions, especially good intentions from little old ladies.

Maybe since she did tell the historical society, they can recreate the image as it was, at least, since obviously from the photos above, they had images of what it looked like previously. Since they say the original image wasn't of value, repainting it after what she did should not make the issue any worse certainly, and it might result in what the woman wanted all along--getting the painting restored to full color beauty.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
Wow... it does look like a Goron.

Bless the woman though, suppose she had the best of intentions at heart xD

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Jesus Christ!
What in all that is holy did she do to it!? God damn, that is a spectacular screw up.
Now I don't want to sound all high and mighty here, but my cat could probably have done a better job.
What in gods name made her think she could do this?
I mean, good heavens. This is why we have professionals lady!

Well I guess it does look absolutely hilarious though, so kudos for that.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Arkynomicon said:
It's not like someone welded a huge copper dong to the Statue of Liberty or something else the rest of the world might care about.
But that would be both the most overwhelmingly well thought out and excecuted act of vandalism ever in the history of humankind! At the same time it would be a greatly symbolic political commentary about how the so called "Liberty" of the land which turned into a hugely monopolistic semi fascist shithole through a lack of market regulation, straight up FUCKS most of the people who live there...

But yeah, the image of that "Restored" art should be printed to scale, and either used to start a cult, or preserved as a warning for idiots that want to restore art with no idea how to do it, or both!

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
She should be prosecuted for vandalism to the full extent of the law for being so incredibly stupid.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Howler Monkey > Jesus Christ.
She made an improvement. This is just to damn hilarious to be mad about and even as a person with no respect for biblical figures or religious institutions still thinks church vandalism is a horrible thing to do.

LKArtillery

Mar 30, 2011
My art teacher showed this to our class earlier today.

A collective gasp of horror escaped the mouths of 30 or so art students all at the same time.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Didn't paint using vagina or menstruation. A*.

Still, this just annoys me and i'm not even religious. Stupid lady.

Quttan

Mar 7, 2009
Let's not all be hasty now. I honestly think that Damien Hirst would call it a masterpiece...and that's why I hate Damien Hirst.

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
I just find it funny if that painting had a Picasso or Dali or Warhol attached to it, it would be worth millions... If I was in a modern museum and saw that I wouldn't even bat an eyelash. That village should run with what they have and build on it. maybe make a whole buncha Jesus painting and let elderly ladies paint them up.