Helpful Old Lady Ruins 200-Year-Old Portrait

FeloniousMonk

Aug 24, 2012
Portraits of Christ are trite tat. I think she improved it, hell, it's more historically accurate because Christ was probably a black dude with an afro.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
This is only the beginning!

The real tragedy is that the place that held the picture had hired someone professional to restore it a few days after Ms Oldebag decided to fix it, herself.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Quaidis said:
This is only the beginning!

The real tragedy is that the place that held the picture had hired someone professional to restore it a few days after Ms Oldebag decided to fix it, herself.
Cannot stop laughing. Cannot stop laughing. Cannot stop laughing. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! I really hope this spawns thousands of meme things. Hilarity can ensue.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
that Restoration is so bad that it's funny
but i imagine art critics and art people alike must be sad at the sight of this
on the bright side it could be put in a modern art museum now as long as you add some bullshit "deep" meaning to it
or maybe it could still be restored but i doubt it

and mr bean

also stupid dish catchas
i miss the fun random ones

arbitterm

Mar 31, 2010
Oh boo hoo, one less painting of Jesus. He's easily the most depicted person in classical art. And nobody cared about the painting until this, even though it was clearly falling apart. They should give it back to her and let her finish it. At least her painting is unique.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Now this one has been one of the funniest news stories I've read in a long time. Bravo old woman.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Grenge Di Origin said:
Personally I think it symbolizes how many Christians warp the bible to their own benefit, without really paying close attention to the details that give it a much more realistic and well-rounded view, though imperfect.

A+.
That, of course, was her intention. It takes 80+ years to fully realise that point of view.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
arbitterm said:
Oh boo hoo, one less painting of Jesus. He's easily the most depicted person in classical art. And nobody cared about the painting until this, even though it was clearly falling apart. They should give it back to her and let her finish it. At least her painting is unique.
She basically stole it to restore it, though as someone in the thread already pointed out, a couple days after the old woman had taken it, the place that was holding it had hired a professional to restore it, but of course they didn't realize she had stolen it. So people obviously cared about the painting. I'm guessing that the relative of the original artist, that the painting was being donated back to, wasn't too thrilled about what happened either.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Coming from a Christian: It's just a painting. Foolish of her, but not terrible.

That said, beyond that it the attachment others have to the painting and that is what is really sad here.

Criminal punishment? Why? From the description of the article she's just angered her whole town by doing this.

That is punishment enough.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Personally I like it, we have plenty of pictures of Jesus... but this guy? We only have 1 of whoever this is.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
dunam said:
Sonic Doctor said:
It wasn't that unique/ valuable of a painting. Also she didn't steal it, she painted it inside the church.
Well, the news bits I've watched seem to hint at that she did it without anybody's permission and anybody watching her doing it, and they used the words "took the painting". So, I just don't see how she could have done it in the church without anybody seeing her and stopping her.

Edit: Well I feel something, because even though it wasn't considered valuable, it was over a hundred years old. That means the artist is long dead and one of the things that the family can remember the relative by has been defaced. A physical part of that family's history is gone.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
The real tragedy of all this is that I've got relatives who are sweet, good hearted, well meaning, church going little old ladies like this but they're even worse artists than she is.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Well that was terrible, though I have a few questions, WHY did she think that this was a good idea? WHY didn't she at least try to practice and see that she was a terrible artist, and WHY didn't she stop at any point while painting and realize she was destroying it, and WHY didn't she ask if a professional was going to restore it.

arbitterm said:
O b o o, on ls pnng f Jus. Hs sly e st dd pson cical rt. A nbd rd abt e painting ul, en th t s cy flg art. Ty shd ge i bk t hr d her ft. t st r paig s unique.
Sorry, your comment was a little old, so I tried restoring it, at least now it's unique.
It doesn't matter that Jesus was a common thing to be painted, it's always a shame when good art, that somebody took time and effort to make (no matter how old or how many of it there is), is wasted because somebody else thought they could do it better.

Mkvenner

Jun 12, 2010
LooooooooooL This made my day and possibly my week. Its these little things that makes life so fun and interesting :D