Here Are All the Confirmed Games for the Nintendo Switch with Trailers

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Here Are All the Confirmed Games for the Nintendo Switch with Trailers

Here's every game that's been confirmed for the Nintendo Switch, along with all the available trailers.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
OMG YEARLY TITLES, TWO YEARS OLD OR LESS PORTS, AND...LoZ.

YAY?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Confining it to games from this list that have my interest, and insert obligatory "world needs to know my opinion" mode in 3...2...1...

-Breath of the Wild: This might push me to get a Wii U (much cheaper at least) but want...now...

-Fire Emblem Warriors: Not too long ago I suggested that a Fire Emblem spinoff in the vein of Dynasty Warriors should be made. Guess they listened. ^_^

-Super Mario Odyssey: So, they took a leaf out of Sonic Adventure and went to New York (yes, Station Square is arguably more based on San Francisco, bite me)? Has Mario gone home? Oh well, doubt I'll get it, but looks fun in of itself.

-Xenoblade Chronicles 2: XENOBLADE!!!!

Okay, I have no idea what's up with the art style, and I don't know if this is meant to be a direct or spiritual sequel to the original Xenoblade Chronicles, and I don't know what that means for X (not that I've played it), and if a direct sequel, I'm left to ask whether the original actually needed one, and whether it might be better for a spiritual sequel, and by Zanza I really dislike the art style here, but all that said...

...XENOBLADE!!!!

-Sonic Mania: Or, "Nostalgia: The Game."

Yeah, I'm mixed. Haven't played a Sonic game since Unleashed or Rush Adventure (whichever came out more recently), but this is...um, fine, I guess? Personally more interested in Project Sonic 2017, but apparently everyone wants a 2D Sonic game (nevermind we've been steadily getting those since...well, forever), so hey, what do I know?

There's lots of other non-exclusive stuff, but I liked the showing.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Yes!
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Fire Emblem Warriors

Maybe?
Has Been Heroes
I Am Setsuna
Splatoon 2
Farming Simulator 18
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Shin Megami Tensei
Disgaea 5 Complete
Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2
Rime
Syberia 3
Minecraft: Story Mode - The Complete Adventure
Minecraft: Switch Edition

No.
1, 2 Switch
Super Bomberman R
Just Dance 2017
Snipperclips - Cut it Out, Together!
Skylanders Imaginators
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Arms
LEGO City Undercover
Puyo Puyo Tetris
NBA 2K18
Super Mario Odyssey
Arcade Archives
Fast RMX
FIFA
Rayman Legends Definitive Edition
Steep
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers

Please Die
Project Sonic 2017
Sonic Mania

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
The new HD sprites for Ultra Street Fighter 2 really don't work with the lack of animation frames. Street Fighter Alpha 3 looks good because of the smooth movements of it's characters. This looks jerky even compared to the totally borked SNES version of Street Fighter Alpha 2.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Is that regular Skyrim or Skyrim SE? You'd think it's the latter, but I haven't seen anything super graphically intensive on the Switch yet.

OT: Maybe I'll get it around June, when there's more games for the thing. I like the look of the new Zelda, but I have the Wii U pre-order. I already got burned by the Wii U, the 3DS and the Xbox One, I'm not getting burned by this.

Bit of a tangent here, but does anyone else loath Project Sonic 2017 already? I like the look of Mania, but the pre-rendered trailer for PS2K17 took itself far too seriously.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Rangaman said:
Bit of a tangent here, but does anyone else loath Project Sonic 2017 already? I like the look of Mania, but the pre-rendered trailer for PS2K17 took itself far too seriously.
I'm the opposite - I have far more dislike for Mania than 2017

"Dislike" is kind of too strong a word, but the thing is, Mania is a game that tickles my nostalgia, but not so effectively that I'm not aware I'm being tickled. Mania's selling point is "look, 2D Sonic remade!" and...that's it. No story to speak of, nothing new gameplay-wise, it's basically "Nostalgia: The Game." Which is fine, I guess, I have a lot of nostalgia for Sonic, but if nostalgia is your only selling point, don't expect me to be enamored.

Sonic 2017 on the other hand, does strike me as being its own thing. I have no idea how that thing will turn out, but it does at least raise questions (what's the resistance? Has Eggman took over the world? How will it play? Is this possibly set after Sonic Chronicles? Etc.). It's also a personal welcome return to form for me, in that it's a game that seems to be taking itself seriously, but not so seriously that we're in Shadow the Hedgehog territory. Because if anything, the trailer feels like a send-up of past cliches, because as soon as Classic Sonic turns up, the tone does a...well, not so much a 180, but more a 90 degree turn, that genuine stakes remain, but we haven't forgotten that this is a setting of anthropomorphic animals and whatnot. I can enjoy Sonic material that is focused primiarly on comedy (e.g. the Boom cartoon), but there's a reason that SatAM is my favorite Sonic cartoon for instance. I've noticed that the Sonic games have been focusing more and more on camp (Colors, Generations, Lost World, Boom), so something on the level as, say, Sonic Adventure 1/2 would be welcome.

Will 2017 be "good?" No idea. But I get the sense that 2017 is at least trying, while Mania is a cynical attempt at reliving the "good ol days," Green Hill included. Because of course Green Hill is included. Thank you Mania, you've made me resent the presence of Green Hill Zone. :(

Jan 27, 2011
Goddamn Nintendo, you're making me want this thing.

Splatoon 2 as an early game, meaning it might potentially last a good while? Early LOZ? A good mix of third party stuff that, while not interesting to me personally, is still a good sign? Another proper Xenoblade game?! Wait...ewww, those eyes on the characters, WTF? AND a potential Shin Megami Tensai game, maybe?

Assuming I actually manage to finish university this year and land an actual job, I might very well end up picking this up.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wait skyrim isn't even a launch title?! How does that make any sense? What development is there left?

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Meiam said:
Wait skyrim isn't even a launch title?! How does that make any sense? What development is there left?
Porting the original Skyrim (NOT SE) to a format that the Switch supports, probably. I mean, you know how archaic Nintendo can be with their hardware and software, and the Switch is pretty much a lightweight when it comes to the hardware, so I think they need to cut Skyrim down by quite a lot to make it run in a half decent state on that thing.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Kibeth41 said:
JenSeven said:
Porting the original Skyrim (NOT SE) to a format that the Switch supports, probably. I mean, you know how archaic Nintendo can be with their hardware and software, and the Switch is pretty much a lightweight when it comes to the hardware, so I think they need to cut Skyrim down by quite a lot to make it run in a half decent state on that thing.
It's not a power issue. Nothing needs to be 'cut down', if we're talking about standard Skyrim (Although the bloom makes it look like remaster in the trailers). It's just a compatibility issue. The Switch hardware isn't entirely unknown. It's using hardware that's a similar format to the Nvidia Shield, just better.

Porting games just isn't a one-button process, despite what the general consumer-base assumes.
The Switch runs on 720p, and can upscale to 1080p when hooked up to a TV. But that is still an upscaled resolution, it runs at 720p native.
The Playstation 4.5 will be able to handle a 4k resolution.

I know that the resolution wars are really futile as most tvs won't run at 4k, but it is indicative of the processing power of the console. And in this, the Switch is without a doubt a lightweight compared to the PS and Xbone.

And also, a 32gb of storage space on it? That is pathetic. I know, you can expand it with SD cards, but still. My phone has more storage space than that.

And as you mentioned the nVidia Shield, let's just mention the resolution that runs at: 1920x1200. So, if the Switch has better hardware, then why does it run on a much lower resolution?

Now, as to explain why this whole resolution thing matters. Normally a console just forwards the video to the monitor or TV and lets the footage scale to the resolution that matches that of the TV or Monitor. Most games therefor have a native resolution that matches the most used or at least base resolution. With the xbox360 and the PS3, this usually was 720p, as that is the lowest resolution that still counts as High Definition, also called HD-Ready. With the Switch, it has an inbuild screen that runs at 720p, so in order to accommodate that, all the Switch's games need to run at 720p native, and not higher. Which means that the switch will be able to match the visual quality of the Xbox360 and PS3, AT BEST. This is not accounting for processing power, but in terms of visual resolution, it cannot go any higher due to that build in screen.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I'm guessing the Minecraft port will be exactly the same as the WiiU version due to the puny 32GB storage. Goddammit, Nintendo, you just don't get it, do you? Why do people keep letting them try to make hardware? Even when they come up with an idea that isn't garbage, they have to fuck up all the fine details.

JenSeven said:
Now, as to explain why this whole resolution thing matters. Normally a console just forwards the video to the monitor or TV and lets the footage scale to the resolution that matches that of the TV or Monitor. Most games therefor have a native resolution that matches the most used or at least base resolution. With the xbox360 and the PS3, this usually was 720p, as that is the lowest resolution that still counts as High Definition, also called HD-Ready. With the Switch, it has an inbuild screen that runs at 720p, so in order to accommodate that, all the Switch's games need to run at 720p native, and not higher. Which means that the switch will be able to match the visual quality of the Xbox360 and PS3, AT BEST. This is not accounting for processing power, but in terms of visual resolution, it cannot go any higher due to that build in screen.
That... makes no sense? There's no reason why the system can't be designed to accommodate either resolution and switch between them depending on whether it's docked or not. Just like how you can make a laptop output at a higher resolution than its own screen when you plug a monitor in.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Steve the Pocket said:
That... makes no sense? There's no reason why the system can't be designed to accommodate either resolution and switch between them depending on whether it's docked or not. Just like how you can make a laptop output at a higher resolution than its own screen when you plug a monitor in.
It mostly depends on the hardware scaler that is built in. But, as we know, the lowest resolution that the games need to run on is tied to the resolution of the screen, which is 720p. So, the games need to be made to natively have that 720p resolution. Any upscaling is all due to the hardware scaler that needs to be built in, but that is all that it's going to be, an upscaled version of the native 720p resolution.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Hawki said:
I'm the opposite - I have far more dislike for Mania than 2017

"Dislike" is kind of too strong a word, but the thing is, Mania is a game that tickles my nostalgia, but not so effectively that I'm not aware I'm being tickled. Mania's selling point is "look, 2D Sonic remade!" and...that's it. No story to speak of, nothing new gameplay-wise, it's basically "Nostalgia: The Game." Which is fine, I guess, I have a lot of nostalgia for Sonic, but if nostalgia is your only selling point, don't expect me to be enamored.

Sonic 2017 on the other hand, does strike me as being its own thing. I have no idea how that thing will turn out, but it does at least raise questions (what's the resistance? Has Eggman took over the world? How will it play? Is this possibly set after Sonic Chronicles? Etc.). It's also a personal welcome return to form for me, in that it's a game that seems to be taking itself seriously, but not so seriously that we're in Shadow the Hedgehog territory. Because if anything, the trailer feels like a send-up of past cliches, because as soon as Classic Sonic turns up, the tone does a...well, not so much a 180, but more a 90 degree turn, that genuine stakes remain, but we haven't forgotten that this is a setting of anthropomorphic animals and whatnot. I can enjoy Sonic material that is focused primiarly on comedy (e.g. the Boom cartoon), but there's a reason that SatAM is my favorite Sonic cartoon for instance. I've noticed that the Sonic games have been focusing more and more on camp (Colors, Generations, Lost World, Boom), so something on the level as, say, Sonic Adventure 1/2 would be welcome.

Will 2017 be "good?" No idea. But I get the sense that 2017 is at least trying, while Mania is a cynical attempt at reliving the "good ol days," Green Hill included. Because of course Green Hill is included. Thank you Mania, you've made me resent the presence of Green Hill Zone. :(
Yeah, Mania is a blatant nostalgia tease. But it actually looks like it's changing the old zones (well, zone) up a bit with some new level design and adding its own zones too, so I'm okay with it. It doesn't look like the bland rehash that Sonic 4 was, in other words.

Project Sonic 2017...y'know what? Fuck that name. Sonic Resistance (for lack of a better title) does remind me a bit of the Adventure era, but I don't really have any nostalgia for that era (I was too young to play videogames at that time) and after playing both Adventure games, I think Generations and Lost World are better written (though SA2 has its moments).

Besides, if the trailer is any indication of the gameplay, it's using the Boost gameplay. And as much as I like Generations, I still say that Lost World has the best 3D gameplay by far (the less said about the 2D sections the better). Immediately chucking it out the window because Lost World averaged about a 64 on Metacritic does seem like an overreaction and a bit of a cop-out. But who knows. Maybe when we get to see the actual game it will change my mind. But until then, I can't say I'm impressed.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
ahh farming simulator 18 is the small hand held version of 17. im less confused now.

the only game out of that list that interests me is skyrim and i already own 2 versions of it.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Wow. I would only ever bother to play one of those games, and I would much rather do it on another platform.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
JenSeven said:
Steve the Pocket said:
It mostly depends on the hardware scaler that is built in. But, as we know, the lowest resolution that the games need to run on is tied to the resolution of the screen, which is 720p. So, the games need to be made to natively have that 720p resolution. Any upscaling is all due to the hardware scaler that needs to be built in, but that is all that it's going to be, an upscaled version of the native 720p resolution.
Games can also be designed to run at multiple resolutions natively and switch between them. Or haven't you ever played a PC game in your life?