Here Comes The Halo Encyclopedia

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Here Comes The Halo Encyclopedia

Perfect for shelving right next to your Star Wars and WWE encyclopedias, the authoritative guide on all things Halo will weigh in at 352 full color pages.

What's a Forerunner? Is 343 Guilty Spark programmed to be that annoying? Why are these games even called Halo to begin with? All questions worthy of answers, and all answerable by typing a couple words into Google and hitting enter.

In this digital day and age, however, sometimes you just want your information to be big, bulky and displayable on your coffee table so that your nerd friends will be impressed when they come over for a Rock Band party. This is where the Halo Encyclopedia comes in.

The Halo Encyclopedia weighs in at a hefty 352 full color pages and is being put together by Microsoft and DK Publishing, who are responsible for other novelty tomes like The WWE Encyclopedia and DC Comics Encyclopedia. So far DK says that the book will only cover content from the games, but I'd imagine they'd want to dig into the backstory in the numerous Halo books if they want to make this thing respectable. It will also feature a foreword by former Bungie staffer and current Microsoft franchise runner Frank O'Connor.

Of course, any respectable Halo nerd doesn't even need an encyclopedia to know what the heck ODST stands for, but the rest of us losers can look for this invaluable reference tool come November.

[Via Crispy Gamer [http://www.crispygamer.com/news/index.php/2009-04-07/halo-encyclopedia-coming/]]

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Now is the time of our rejoicing, when we shall all become... as Gods.

Yeah, I'm a fanboi. I might as well set the money aside for this now, so there isn't a giant hole in my budget when it comes out.

-- Steve

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
..Not only is Google better and free, it's also easier to find the information, no doubt.

Pointless.
To be fair, I didn't like Halo, but I wouldn't buy something like this no matter what, unless it had information nobody had released before.

Even then, it'd be on the internet soon enough.
You're missing the point. There's enough backstory that you can bludgeon Halo detractors in a righteous fury, yea, unto death. Not only that, but as true fan credentials it's cheaper than the Mjolnir armor. It'd look cool on my shelf, but several other holes in my pocket are larger, viz. the "Get goofy t-shirts fund".

I'll just have to keep using the Halo wiki.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Can't... contain... inner... halo... geek...

Now, if it's just Microsoft publishing this, then to hell with it. If it's from the Bungie guys, Day One purchase.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
I'm no Halo fan, but I totally understand the need for memorabilia.

As the world becomes evermore digital, us geeks take pride in owning physical evidence of our love for the digital world and gamer culture. I enjoy wearing my "gaming t shirts" and I'd probably buy a GTA Encyclopedia even if it weren't as useful as Google for searching info.

Other than that...I've got my share of art books sitting on the coffee table to impress my friends when they come over for Rock Band.

Ok...I haven't got Rock Band. Or a coffee table.

But my art books are nicely displayed on my shelf. :)

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
sunami88 said:
Can't... contain... inner... halo... geek...

Now, if it's just Microsoft publishing this, then to hell with it. If it's from the Bungie guys, Day One purchase.
exactly. but microsoft is doing it not bungie so it will prolly be crap

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
Halo wiki....

But of course, if I was a die hard fan, I'd definitely prefer a glorious book over staring at a glaring computer screen.

Now all they need is a Starcraft Encyclopedia...

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Would bungie just release the Halo bible already?

I'll be getting this.

kiyeshi

Aug 8, 2009
that's pretty awesome, hopefully they include the book background in some semblance of order, cause the books kinda randomly jump around now

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I'll probably get it if it's cheap enough...and I can't find anything worth spending the money on. I like the games, although I wouldn't go as far as to say they're great. But the story/universe is pretty cool, so are the novels. Not to mention it's reading material....