Here It Is: Your Complete List of Academy Awards Nominees

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
4,828
0
0
ecoho said:
Fox12 said:
ecoho said:
MarsAtlas said:
ecoho said:
and of course the most controversial movies of the year get a nod for best picture but an actually good film doesn't, sounds like the Oscars to me.
Query: Which film? I don't recall any of them getting much controversy. Even Spotlight didn't seem to get much outside of the usual catholic church apologists that everybody already ignores.
The Revenant,The Big Short, and spotlight have all had a bit of controversy. also what do you mean by "catholic church apologists"?
Presumably the people who defend the church, even when they're in the wrong. Such as the sex abuse scandal, which the church sought to cover up.

I liked most of the films listed, personally. I wasn't even aware that Revenent had controversy. Out of curiosity, which good film did you feel got snubbed?
well star wars for sure should have at least got a nod(out of respect if nothing else)
creed deserved to be seriously considered as its the first rocky movie I actually enjoyed start to finish.

As to the catholic church thing, what most people don't understand is that the church is basically another country. so its like if a foreign ambassador was charged with a crime, as such no country has the right to detain said person without permission from the head of state, in this case the pope. Also good to note is most members of the catholic church not only admit these things happened but also fell great regret for them being handled the way they were.

All that said at this point I could care less what people think on that matter as at this point it does no good for anyone.
Sure, but nobody tried to arrest the pope. If the church had handed over the criminal responsible then I would be inclined to fogive them. Instead they tried to cover up what happened, ensured that the individuals responsible escaped justice, and put said individual into another parish, where he could potentially continue preying on children. Thus the church actively defended the systematic rape and torture of children. I know that a lot of Catholics want to sweep it under the rug and move on, but it's something we need to remember. This obviously says nothing about the average catholic, who is an upstanding individual, but it does say something about the people who actively defend the church in this situation, such as Bill Donohue.

As for Star Wars, I'm not sure why people keep mentioning it. I get that people liked it, but it wasn't a very well made movie. At best it was a nostalgia trip that got its best ideas from the original trilogy. The actual script and plot were a little... substandard. The film needs to stand on its own if it wants to get nominated, and the force awakens didn't do that. If force awakens was the first Star Wars movie, and not the seventh, then no one would be calling for an academy award.

I haven't seen Creed, so I can't judge that, but I think Revanent deserved its nomination. It was well acted and well directed. The script needed work, but altogether it was a very good movie.
 

Zelderahn

New member
Feb 19, 2014
37
0
0
Yeah, Force Awakens was a great movie-going experience, but beyond special effects (which it is getting recognized for with those nominations) it wasn't.. transcendent?

It is quantum leaps beyond the prequels, but I think we're all more relieved they didn't bungle it up again than anything else.

If it hadn't been quite such a movie in service to it's own franchise and shackled to old glories it might have been a contender though, because the new parts of the story were genuinely interesting/appealing.
 

ecoho

New member
Jun 16, 2010
2,093
0
0
Fox12 said:
ecoho said:
Fox12 said:
ecoho said:
MarsAtlas said:
ecoho said:
and of course the most controversial movies of the year get a nod for best picture but an actually good film doesn't, sounds like the Oscars to me.
Query: Which film? I don't recall any of them getting much controversy. Even Spotlight didn't seem to get much outside of the usual catholic church apologists that everybody already ignores.
The Revenant,The Big Short, and spotlight have all had a bit of controversy. also what do you mean by "catholic church apologists"?
Presumably the people who defend the church, even when they're in the wrong. Such as the sex abuse scandal, which the church sought to cover up.

I liked most of the films listed, personally. I wasn't even aware that Revenent had controversy. Out of curiosity, which good film did you feel got snubbed?
well star wars for sure should have at least got a nod(out of respect if nothing else)
creed deserved to be seriously considered as its the first rocky movie I actually enjoyed start to finish.

As to the catholic church thing, what most people don't understand is that the church is basically another country. so its like if a foreign ambassador was charged with a crime, as such no country has the right to detain said person without permission from the head of state, in this case the pope. Also good to note is most members of the catholic church not only admit these things happened but also fell great regret for them being handled the way they were.

All that said at this point I could care less what people think on that matter as at this point it does no good for anyone.
Sure, but nobody tried to arrest the pope. If the church had handed over the criminal responsible then I would be inclined to fogive them. Instead they tried to cover up what happened, ensured that the individuals responsible escaped justice, and put said individual into another parish, where he could potentially continue preying on children. Thus the church actively defended the systematic rape and torture of children. I know that a lot of Catholics want to sweep it under the rug and move on, but it's something we need to remember. This obviously says nothing about the average catholic, who is an upstanding individual, but it does say something about the people who actively defend the church in this situation, such as Bill Donohue.

As for Star Wars, I'm not sure why people keep mentioning it. I get that people liked it, but it wasn't a very well made movie. At best it was a nostalgia trip that got its best ideas from the original trilogy. The actual script and plot were a little... substandard. The film needs to stand on its own if it wants to get nominated, and the force awakens didn't do that. If force awakens was the first Star Wars movie, and not the seventh, then no one would be calling for an academy award.

I haven't seen Creed, so I can't judge that, but I think Revanent deserved its nomination. It was well acted and well directed. The script needed work, but altogether it was a very good movie.
from what i under stand the ones who were without a doubt guilty were sent to monasteries to be monitored and purified. which is another way of saying they were sent to church prison so we don't have to publicly admit they did this. many foreign governments do something similar, as for political reasons you never admit fault. Spotlight borders on slander (but its not) that's why many Catholics, myself included, don't believe it should be up for an award like best picture.

The Revenant deserves its nomination, I just don't think spotlight, and the big short deserve theirs. that said I haven't watched the big short yet so may be wrong there.

as to why star wars deserves a nomination, its more out of respect for the franchise then them getting a chance at actually winning, but creed defiantly deserves a spot.
 

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
4,828
0
0
ecoho said:
Fox12 said:
ecoho said:
Fox12 said:
ecoho said:
MarsAtlas said:
ecoho said:
and of course the most controversial movies of the year get a nod for best picture but an actually good film doesn't, sounds like the Oscars to me.
Query: Which film? I don't recall any of them getting much controversy. Even Spotlight didn't seem to get much outside of the usual catholic church apologists that everybody already ignores.
The Revenant,The Big Short, and spotlight have all had a bit of controversy. also what do you mean by "catholic church apologists"?
Presumably the people who defend the church, even when they're in the wrong. Such as the sex abuse scandal, which the church sought to cover up.

I liked most of the films listed, personally. I wasn't even aware that Revenent had controversy. Out of curiosity, which good film did you feel got snubbed?
well star wars for sure should have at least got a nod(out of respect if nothing else)
creed deserved to be seriously considered as its the first rocky movie I actually enjoyed start to finish.

As to the catholic church thing, what most people don't understand is that the church is basically another country. so its like if a foreign ambassador was charged with a crime, as such no country has the right to detain said person without permission from the head of state, in this case the pope. Also good to note is most members of the catholic church not only admit these things happened but also fell great regret for them being handled the way they were.

All that said at this point I could care less what people think on that matter as at this point it does no good for anyone.
Sure, but nobody tried to arrest the pope. If the church had handed over the criminal responsible then I would be inclined to fogive them. Instead they tried to cover up what happened, ensured that the individuals responsible escaped justice, and put said individual into another parish, where he could potentially continue preying on children. Thus the church actively defended the systematic rape and torture of children. I know that a lot of Catholics want to sweep it under the rug and move on, but it's something we need to remember. This obviously says nothing about the average catholic, who is an upstanding individual, but it does say something about the people who actively defend the church in this situation, such as Bill Donohue.

As for Star Wars, I'm not sure why people keep mentioning it. I get that people liked it, but it wasn't a very well made movie. At best it was a nostalgia trip that got its best ideas from the original trilogy. The actual script and plot were a little... substandard. The film needs to stand on its own if it wants to get nominated, and the force awakens didn't do that. If force awakens was the first Star Wars movie, and not the seventh, then no one would be calling for an academy award.

I haven't seen Creed, so I can't judge that, but I think Revanent deserved its nomination. It was well acted and well directed. The script needed work, but altogether it was a very good movie.
from what i under stand the ones who were without a doubt guilty were sent to monasteries to be monitored and purified. which is another way of saying they were sent to church prison so we don't have to publicly admit they did this. many foreign governments do something similar, as for political reasons you never admit fault. Spotlight borders on slander (but its not) that's why many Catholics, myself included, don't believe it should be up for an award like best picture.

The Revenant deserves its nomination, I just don't think spotlight, and the big short deserve theirs. that said I haven't watched the big short yet so may be wrong there.

as to why star wars deserves a nomination, its more out of respect for the franchise then them getting a chance at actually winning, but creed defiantly deserves a spot.
The church talk is getting off topic, so we'll have to agree to disagree. Still, I think there must be some value to any film that can create discussion like this. I haven't seen spotlight, though, so I can't really argue much for or against it.

As for Star Wars, I get what you mean, but I don't think we should necessarily hand out awards just because a film belongs to a popular franchise. Even the original Star Wars movies didn't win, according to George Lucas. I'm all for future Star Wars movies winning, but I think they need to earn it first. Disney is already drowning in money and accolades. It's probably healthy to curb their enthusiasm. I've heard nothing but good things about Creed, though, I'm surprised it didn't get nominated.
 

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
4,828
0
0
GrumbleGrump said:
Give Leo your energy! Even if you don't believe!
The spirit bomb is his last hope! It's the only thing that might let him break through the brick wall between him and his Oscar!
 

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
35,522
2,380
118
Zelderahn said:
Yeah, Force Awakens was a great movie-going experience, but beyond special effects (which it is getting recognized for with those nominations) it wasn't.. transcendent?

It is quantum leaps beyond the prequels, but I think we're all more relieved they didn't bungle it up again than anything else.

If it hadn't been quite such a movie in service to it's own franchise and shackled to old glories it might have been a contender though, because the new parts of the story were genuinely interesting/appealing.

OT: I still need to see The Revenant, but until I do it's a hard choice between Fury Road and The Martian for best picture.
 

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
19,316
0
0
-"The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared" Love Larson and Eva von Bahr

I - pardon me, what?

OT: Well, maybe Leo can finally get that damned Oscar he's been gunning for forever.