Here It Is: Your Complete List of Academy Awards Nominees

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Here It Is: Your Complete List of Academy Awards Nominees

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1255/1255816.png

Among the notable snubs: Ridley Scott, Creed, and the goddamn Force Awakens!!

It's that time of the year again, folks. A time when we celebrate the greatest cinematic achievements that the past year had to offer. A time of dignity. A time of class. A time when all of Hollywood's best and brightest gather in one room to engage in the proudest display of ass-kissing since the reign of King Edward the First. It's the 2016 Oscars!

Kicking off from the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, California on February 28th, the 88th Academy Awards is sure to be the most extravagant celebration since...the Golden Globes last week, or at least the 2015 Academy Awards. So without further adieu, let's get to the nominees!

Best Picture
-The Big Short
-Bridge of Spies
-Brooklyn
-Mad Max: Fury Road
-The Martian
-The Revenant
-Room
-Spotlight

Performance by an actor in a leading role
-Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
-Matt Damon, The Martian
-Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
-Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
-Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

Performance by an actress in a leading role
-Cate Blanchett, Carol
-Brie Larson, Room
-Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
-Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
-Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

Best director
-Adam McKay, The Big Short
-George Miller, Mad Max
-Alejandro Inarritu, The Revenant
-Lenny Abrahamson, Room
-Tom McCarthy, Spotlight

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
-Christian Bale, The Big Short
-Tom Hardy, The Revenant
-Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
-Mark Rylance, The Bridge of Spies
-Sylvester Stallone, Creed

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
-Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
-Rooney Mara, Carol
-Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
-Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
-Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

Best documentary feature
-Amy, Asif Kapadia and James Gay-Rees
-Cartel Land, Matthew Heineman and Tom Yellin
-The Look of Silence, Joshua Oppenheimer and Signe Byrge S?rensen
-What Happened, Miss Simone?, Liz Garbus, Amy Hobby and Justin Wilkes
-Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom, Evgeny Afineevsky and Den Tolmor

Best documentary short subject
-Body Team 12, David Darg and Bryn Mooser
-Chau, beyond the Lines, Courtney Marsh and Jerry Franck
Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah, Adam Benzine
-A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy
-Last Day of Freedom, Dee Hibbert-Jones and Nomi Talisman

Achievement in film editing
-The Big Short, Hank Corwin
-Mad Max: Fury Road, Margaret Sixel
-The Revenant, Stephen Mirrione
-Spotlight, Tom McArdle
-Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Maryann Brandon and Mary Jo Markey

Best foreign language film of the year
-"Embrace of the Serpent" Colombia
-"Mustang" France
-"Son of Saul" Hungary
-"Theeb" Jordan
-"A War" Denmark

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling
-"Mad Max: Fury Road" Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega and Damian Martin
-"The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared" Love Larson and Eva von Bahr
-"The Revenant" Si?n Grigg, Duncan Jarman and Robert Pandini

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
-"Bridge of Spies" Thomas Newman
-"Carol" Carter Burwell
-"The Hateful Eight" Ennio Morricone
-"Sicario" J?hann J?hannsson
-"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" John Williams

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
-"Earned It" from "Fifty Shades of Grey"
Music and Lyric by Abel Tesfaye, Ahmad Balshe, Jason Daheala Quenneville and Stephan Moccio
-"Manta Ray" from "Racing Extinction"
Music by J. Ralph and Lyric by Antony Hegarty
-"Simple Song #3" from "Youth"
Music and Lyric by David Lang
-"Til It Happens To You" from "The Hunting Ground"
Music and Lyric by Diane Warren and Lady Gaga
-"Writing's On The Wall" from "Spectre"
Music and Lyric by Jimmy Napes and Sam Smith

Achievement in production design
-"Bridge of Spies" Production Design: Adam Stockhausen; Set Decoration: Rena DeAngelo and Bernhard Henrich
-"The Danish Girl" Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Michael Standish
-"Mad Max: Fury Road" Production Design: Colin Gibson; Set Decoration: Lisa Thompson
-"The Martian" Production Design: Arthur Max; Set Decoration: Celia Bobak
-"The Revenant" Production Design: Jack Fisk; Set Decoration: Hamish Purdy

Best animated short film
-"Bear Story" Gabriel Osorio and Pato Escala
-"Prologue" Richard Williams and Imogen Sutton
-"Sanjay's Super Team" Sanjay Patel and Nicole Grindle
-"We Can't Live without Cosmos" Konstantin Bronzit
-"World of Tomorrow" Don Hertzfeldt

Best live action short film
-"Ave Maria" Basil Khalil and Eric Dupont
-"Day One" Henry Hughes
-"Everything Will Be Okay (Alles Wird Gut)" Patrick Vollrath
-"Shok" Jamie Donoughue
-"Stutterer" Benjamin Cleary and Serena Armitage

Achievement in sound editing
-"Mad Max: Fury Road" Mark Mangini and David White
-"The Martian" Oliver Tarney
-"The Revenant" Martin Hernandez and Lon Bender
-"Sicario" Alan Robert Murray
-"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Matthew Wood and David Acord

Achievement in sound mixing
-"Bridge of Spies" Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom and Drew Kunin
-"Mad Max: Fury Road" Chris Jenkins, Gregg Rudloff and Ben Osmo
-"The Martian" Paul Massey, Mark Taylor and Mac Ruth
-"The Revenant" Jon Taylor, Frank A. Monta?o, Randy Thom and Chris Duesterdiek
-"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Andy Nelson, Christopher Scarabosio and Stuart Wilson

Achievement in visual effects
-"Ex Machina" Andrew Whitehurst, Paul Norris, Mark Ardington and Sara Bennett
-"Mad Max: Fury Road" Andrew Jackson, Tom Wood, Dan Oliver and Andy Williams
-"The Martian" Richard Stammers, Anders Langlands, Chris Lawrence and Steven Warner
-"The Revenant" Rich McBride, Matthew Shumway, Jason Smith and Cameron Waldbauer
-"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan and Chris Corbould

Adapted screenplay
-"The Big Short" Screenplay by Charles Randolph and Adam McKay
-"Brooklyn" Screenplay by Nick Hornby
-"Carol" Screenplay by Phyllis Nagy
-"The Martian" Screenplay by Drew Goddard
-"Room" Screenplay by Emma Donoghue

Original screenplay
-"Bridge of Spies" Written by Matt Charman and Ethan Coen & Joel Coen
-"Ex Machina" Written by Alex Garland
-"Inside Out" Screenplay by Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, Josh Cooley; Original story by Pete Docter, Ronnie del Carmen
-"Spotlight" Written by Josh Singer & Tom McCarthy
-"Straight Outta Compton" Screenplay by Jonathan Herman and Andrea Berloff; Story by S. Leigh Savidge & Alan Wenkus and Andrea Berloff

The good news: Mad Max: Fury Road got itself a Best Picture nomination! It has no chance in Hell of actually winning, but still, (*double thumbs up emoji*)!!! It's also nice to see Sylvester Stallone scoring a "Best Supporting Actor" nomination for Creed, fresh off his win in the same category at the Golden Globes.

And now, the bad: Aside from Stallone's nod, the thoroughly excellent Creed was snubbed in basically every other category. Director Ryan Coogler managed to pull off a rare feat in both injecting new life into a long dead franchise and doing so with arguably the best Rocky film since the original, and deserved at least a nomination for his efforts. Plus, what other actors were willing to get repeatedly knocked unconscious for there roles like Michael B. Jordan did [http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/12/9/9880288/video-creed-rocky-michael-b-jordan-sylvester-stallone-real-punches]? I'll tell you how many: none, zich, zilp, nathan, and nada!

Of course, the even bigger snub has to be that of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which aside from a few technical awards and a Best Score nomination, was completely shut out from the big ones. Poor J.J. Abrams...I guess he'll only have that infinity pool filled with $1000 bills to comfort him.

Nov 28, 2007
Don't you know? The Force Awakens was a slap in the face to all Star Wars fans!

Yeah, that aside (and please note, I'm not making fun of people who had issues with TFA. I'm making fun of the people who overreact to The Force Awakens not being great), I'm fairly pleased with the nominees. That said, if Star Wars does not win Best Visual Effects, I will not be pleased. Say what you want about the plot, the movie was gorgeous, and I can't think of any effects that did not work out as intended.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
I wouldn't exactly say The Force Awakens was snubbed. Landing 5 categories really isn't bad. And I believe it was in those categories that TFA really shone. The cinematography was very reminiscent of the original trilogy (e.g. landscape shots, giving Resistance pilots the focus in dogfights), which certainly worked in its favor, and the visual effects were spectacular (the physical effects in particular). And, of course, the musical score which brought with it so many memories of sitting on the living room floor watching the original trilogy on VHS.

Putting aside TFA, I hope Jennifer Jason Leigh wins best supporting actress. She without a doubt earned the nomination and I believe she deserves the award. She played her part perfectly. She was vulgar, she was vicious, and she was delightful to watch. To speak further of The Hateful Eight, like most things Tarantino, I loved the soundtrack and with his overture, Ennio Morricone shows once again that he is a master of sound. He's won an honorary award before, but I'm going to be a little disappointed if he doesn't land the win this time around. I'm also a bit disappointed there wasn't a best picture nomination for The Hateful Eight, or even best director for that matter but that's probably just my bias speaking. I thought the movie was quite possibly Tarantino's best work.

I like that George Miller got a nomination. Without him, Fury Road would not have been what it was and what is was was fantastic.

I don't think it surprised anyone that Leo got another nomination, and no doubt many are hoping he finally wins one. Count me among them, if only to prevent yet another year of jokes about Oscars slipping through Leo's fingers. And I've little doubt his performance was great, I plan on seeing for myself soon.

Inside Out is a good choice for original screenplay. It's a great movie and I like the idea of the pitch being, "What if feelings...had feelings?"

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
A bad film not getting nominated isn't a snub. Why on earth does The Force Awakens deserve a nomination? I'd sooner nominate Michael Bay : P

I'm shocked Fury Road got nominated, but there's no denying it was a gorgeous film. If Mad Max and The Revenent lose best visual effects to Star Wars, I'm going to stone a wookie. Those films really delivered. Hopefully Leo will net his first Oscar, and Tom Hardy will get recognized for his phenomenal performance in Revenent.

It's a pretty solid lineup. Out of curiosity, is it just me, or was there no animated picture category? I'm curious what the nominees are.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I'm not surprised TFA didn't get a nomination. First off, it's a space opera, it wasn't going to win even if it got nominated. Secondly, it's basically A New Hope again. It probably shouldn't be on the list if it's a rehash of a previous movie in a series.

Nov 28, 2007
Fox12 said:
It's a pretty solid lineup. Out of curiosity, is it just me, or was there no animated picture category? I'm curious what the nominees are.
The nominees for Animated Feature Film are:

Anomalisa- Charlie Kaufman, Duke Johnson, and Rosa Tran

Boy and the World- Ale Abreu

Inside Out- Pete Docter and Jonas Rivera

Shaun the Sheep: The Movie- Mark Burton and Richard Starzak

When Marnie Was There- Hiromasa Yonebayashi and Yoshiaki Nishimura

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
thebobmaster said:
Fox12 said:
The nominees for Animated Feature Film are:

Anomalisa- Charlie Kaufman, Duke Johnson, and Rosa Tran

Boy and the World- Ale Abreu

Inside Out- Pete Docter and Jonas Rivera

Shaun the Sheep: The Movie- Mark Burton and Richard Starzak

When Marnie Was There- Hiromasa Yonebayashi and Yoshiaki Nishimura
Ah, thank you.

I'll be pulling for Marnie, since it's just about one of the best animated films I've ever seen. It really deserves an oscar nod. It would be a nice acknowledgement of Ghibli's last film.

But we all know Inside Out will win.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised to see TFA walk away with only 1 Academy Award, they really only deserves to win Original score because John Williams is the man.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I generally don't give a rat's ass about the Oscars, but if Fury Road wins best picture, I may have to rethink it.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Mad Max in best picture totally shocked me. It was a great film and everything but it was good in a way that I didn't think the academy recognises, virtually no plot, mostly action and over-the-top throughout. The feminist/patriarchy angle was there but wasn't exactly an in depth. Well done for going outside that comfort zone academy.

I was expecting Carol in best picture so that's fun. Creed is nowhere, (almost) WTF!

The Force Awakens wasn't a snub, it was very enjoyable but wasn't close to being better than any of the films on that list (the ones I've seen anyway). Big sales figures don't impress the academy.

Listing Animated feature is kind of pointless since Inside Out was wonderful and Pixar (almost) always wins anyway.

Di Caprio should totally get his Oscar this year, (though I thought that for Wolf of Wall Street too)

I'd like the Martian to win something because I really really loved it.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
and of course the most controversial movies of the year get a nod for best picture but an actually good film doesn't, sounds like the Oscars to me. hence why I don't watch them anymore, that said if matt damon doesn't win best actor for his role in "The Martian" then they really are deaf, dumb, and blind.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nobody seriously expected the new Star Wars movie to be nominated for Best Film, right? Good movie but hardly Oscar material.
I'm delighted to see Mad Max: Fury Road up for Best Film though. Fingers crossed!

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
All I really want is When Marnie was There to win best animated picture. One last hooray for Studio Ghilbi...we all know it won't though.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Performance by an actress in a leading role
-Cate Blanchett, Carol
-Brie Larson, Room
-Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
-Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
-Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

No Charlize Theron, Mad Max: Fury Road? SHAME! SHAME!

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
ecoho said:
and of course the most controversial movies of the year get a nod for best picture but an actually good film doesn't, sounds like the Oscars to me.
Query: Which film? I don't recall any of them getting much controversy. Even Spotlight didn't seem to get much outside of the usual catholic church apologists that everybody already ignores.
The Revenant,The Big Short, and spotlight have all had a bit of controversy. also what do you mean by "catholic church apologists"?

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
ecoho said:
MarsAtlas said:
ecoho said:
and of course the most controversial movies of the year get a nod for best picture but an actually good film doesn't, sounds like the Oscars to me.
Query: Which film? I don't recall any of them getting much controversy. Even Spotlight didn't seem to get much outside of the usual catholic church apologists that everybody already ignores.
The Revenant,The Big Short, and spotlight have all had a bit of controversy. also what do you mean by "catholic church apologists"?
Presumably the people who defend the church, even when they're in the wrong. Such as the sex abuse scandal, which the church sought to cover up.

I liked most of the films listed, personally. I wasn't even aware that Revenent had controversy. Out of curiosity, which good film did you feel got snubbed?

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Fox12 said:
ecoho said:
MarsAtlas said:
ecoho said:
Presumably the people who defend the church, even when they're in the wrong. Such as the sex abuse scandal, which the church sought to cover up.

I liked most of the films listed, personally. I wasn't even aware that Revenent had controversy. Out of curiosity, which good film did you feel got snubbed?
well star wars for sure should have at least got a nod(out of respect if nothing else)
creed deserved to be seriously considered as its the first rocky movie I actually enjoyed start to finish.

As to the catholic church thing, what most people don't understand is that the church is basically another country. so its like if a foreign ambassador was charged with a crime, as such no country has the right to detain said person without permission from the head of state, in this case the pope. Also good to note is most members of the catholic church not only admit these things happened but also fell great regret for them being handled the way they were.

All that said at this point I could care less what people think on that matter as at this point it does no good for anyone.