Here's a Picture of Catwoman Fondling Her Own Boobs (For a Good Cause)

Noble_Lance

Sep 4, 2011
Fieldy409 said:
So what was the crack about the new 52 anyway? I must be too slow to get it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_52

There you go

Portrayal of female characters

DC has also received criticism for its handling of certain female characters during the relaunch, sparking discussion of exploitative overtones in titles such as Catwoman #1 and Red Hood and the Outlaws #1. Laura Hudson of ComicsAlliance and Andrew Wheeler of Bleeding Cool criticized the relaunch for oversexualized characterization of its female characters, such as Catwoman, Starfire and Voodoo, and for cancelling books with female leads like Power Girl, and relegating the star of that series to the status of Mister Terrific's girlfriend.[34][35] Keith Phipps and Oliver Sava agreed with the observations of Catwoman and Red Hood and the Outlaws, but opined that Voodoo was a positive example how to incorporate a female character's sexuality as a relevant aspect of the story without appearing exploitative.[27] Wheeler also complained that retconning Barbara Gordon's paralysis as a temporary injury from which she recovered,[36] and restoring her as Batgirl, to the exclusion of Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown, made the DC Universe less diverse and inclusive.[35]

I'm assuming its probably about that too.

salinv

Mar 17, 2010
samsonguy920 said:
tombman888 said:
OT: I wonder what Marvel and DC would be thinking about this (That is if they had nothing to do with this, and it was made completely by the awareness campaign)
They can be amused or annoyed. There isn't anything directly tying any of those figures to actual characters(Though Wonder Woman's(ahem, the one looking like WW) might be cutting it close), therefore no infringement on copyright.
I think they are going to keep their mitts off this, as even their lawyers should be hesitant downtrodding anything promoting breast cancer awareness. Especially if DC and Marvel want any hope of expanding their reader base to beyond just males.
Actually, if they are going for visibility and don't mind looking like a jerk, they could sue the awareness agency, then drop the charge at the last minute, or find some other way of having no ill effect. The media would have a field day with it if it got out and many people would hear about it, all at the cost of them looking like a dick.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
JdaS said:
Mmmmm... She-Hulk... What? I like 'em green, muscular and 2m tall! Okay, I'll stop now.

In all seriousness though as someone else might already have mentioned, even Marvel and DC's lawyers might think twice before bringing down the hammer of litgation on a breast cancer awareness program in Africa. Especially since they're not profiting off the images.

People tend to forget that Marvel and DC team up all the time, I mean there have been crazy numbers of crossovers between the two companies, even seeing the two of them collaberate for that whole "Amalgam Universe" thing.

I think the perceived animosity between the two is just for show, and have frequently suspected a lot of their throw downs over the years have been about as genuine as most rappers and hip hop performers threatening to cap each other publically for crime-related reasons. :)

If they cross over characters, why wouldn't they both agree to support a Breast Cancer pitch?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
From what I understand, mammograms and breast examinations potentially do more harm than good. People find a lump, panic, head to the doctor and get incorrectly treated for cancer. Often the lump can be attributed to something fairly harmless, though that isn't usually realised until after the woman has undergone dangerous treatments such as a chemotheraphy, or a biopsy.

In otherwords, though there is a tiny chance (we are talking literally 1:1000) that high risk women might catch the cancer early and get vital treatment, there are many more women (up to 600:1000) who are misdiagnosed and risk harm by going for needless treatments.

Myan

I Want to Go to There!
Dec 16, 2003
maninahat said:
From what I understand, mammograms potentially do more harm than good. People find a lump, panic, head to the doctor and get incorrectly treated for cancer. Often the lump can be attributed to something fairly harmless, but often that isn't realised until after the woman has undergone dangerous treatments such as kemotheraphy, or biopsy etc.

In otherwords, though there is a tiny chance that high risk women might catch the cancer early and get vital treatment, there are many more women who come to harm by going for needless treatment.
Actually, that's not quite true (in the US anyway). The usual course of action is generally ultrasound >> mammogram (based on age, history, risk) or needle biopsy (which most doctors can do in the same office visit for most lumps). Then depending on the pathology of the lump sample a course of action is decided.

An ultrasound can determine quite a lot and easily detect benign tumors without the unnecessary radiation (and discomfort) of a mammogram. Mammograms are not given as often as they once were because it is radiation after all, even if it's a low dose. Detection technology has come a long way in the past 10 years and is saving a lot of women (and men!) in the process.

Samwai

Jun 8, 2010
samsonguy920 said:
Short of Catwoman, name one that would actually be vulnerable to cancer of any sort. She-hulk got her condition from a gamma radiated blood transfusion, something you would think would cause cancer; if that isn't going to do the trick, nothing will. Wonder Woman is a goddess, therefore invulnerable to mortal diseases. Storm is a mutant. Her body probably creates little tornadoes in her system, sucking away anything harmful. Superwoman...well refer to reference to Wonder Woman for your answer. Though one wonders why any -el wouldn't be a likely candidate for cancer due to kryptonite radiation exposure. They have all seen enough of the stuff throughout their careers.
Might be something worth hitting on in the Ultimates. Maybe too much cosmic radiation triggers the cancer switch in Sue Richards. It would be something Marvel best handle with their best talent, though. I don't take kindly to breast cancer being handled with kid gloves. I am quite sure neither do a lot of other people.
When it's done right, realism can have the occasional place in Superhero comics, but not nearly to the extent of using virtually immortal fictional characters to increase awareness of a real disease. There's a reason comic books and their readers have been outcasts for most of their history. Unlike most other fiction, Superhero comics are not meant to represent real life. I don't read them to see how well I can relate to flying men who have to punch armies of invading aliens to death in order to save the galaxy. I read them because they're actually good. Who among us, after reading Beowulf, thought "This needs an inner monologue portraying the protagonist's hidden insecurities and fears"?

Anyway, back on topic, this betrayal of the lore is really just a side effect of the irrational sexual objectification of female characters who were initially created as vigilantes, not as strippers. And no, "vigilante" is not Italian for "five-star hooker". This developed because the target audience has increasingly dropped their testicles without actually growing up. All told, this is why I prefer the cartoons from 1992 to 2004.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I know this makes the pictures impossible to do but they should be doing that when they aren't wearing cloths since it's fairly hard to examine their flesh through a few inches of leather and cloth. Also, She-Hulk is already a big gamma radioactive epicenter due to her powers and is probably immune to cancer. I do support the idea of showing unconventional female figures examine themselves for breast cancer as a way of informing the public that its something important though.

Robert Sanders

Jul 9, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
Cant wait for the ones of Wolverine, Batman, The Hulk, and Superman grabbing their junk for testicular cancer and hernias.

thogh im not gonna lie, i saw the title and thought this was a really shallow attmept to get views. then i saw it was in the latest content section. XD
Whatever, just don't let them start in on the prostate exams!

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
Otaku World Order said:
Maybe they should sell prints of these for charity.

Qitz said:
I'm surprised they didn't go for Power Girl, she's more stacked than any of them.

Still, it's not like guys need to be told about boob cancer, if it threatens our glorious boobage we already know.
Fun fact: An artist at DC kept drawing Power Girl with larger and larger boobs to see how far he could take it before the editor noticed.
lmao bet he still hasn't noticed

SlugLady28

Feb 24, 2011
I clicked the title because i wanted to answer the question: WTF? Then i saw the pictures, and i burst with laughter at how awesome it is.

Make you're boob jokes if you want. These images are still better diagrams then the drawings they give us at the doctor's office.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
okay um..the way this ad was done strikes me as strange. one of the many many many complaints feminists have against fashion advertisements is the way that, frequently, the ad focuses on just the breasts or ass or something like that, dehumanizing the individual by chopping of her head and making her literally nothing but a nice set of tits. thats exactly what these ads are doing but unlike the fashion industry, these ads are intended to help womyn. i just find it interesting that they are pursuing a feminist cause, by using non-feminist tactics

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
you know, that might actually make for an interesting issue, a female super hero gets breast cancer and has to fight that off, if for no other reason then to throw every one off for a few issues
Short of Catwoman, name one that would actually be vulnerable to cancer of any sort. She-hulk got her condition from a gamma radiated blood transfusion, something you would think would cause cancer; if that isn't going to do the trick, nothing will. Wonder Woman is a goddess, therefore invulnerable to mortal diseases. Storm is a mutant. Her body probably creates little tornadoes in her system, sucking away anything harmful. Superwoman...well refer to reference to Wonder Woman for your answer. Though one wonders why any -el wouldn't be a likely candidate for cancer due to kryptonite radiation exposure. They have all seen enough of the stuff throughout their careers.
Might be something worth hitting on in the Ultimates. Maybe too much cosmic radiation triggers the cancer switch in Sue Richards. It would be something Marvel best handle with their best talent, though. I don't take kindly to breast cancer being handled with kid gloves. I am quite sure neither do a lot of other people.
that's true, but it was a better post then what i was thinking so i went with it

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Bah. Both She-Hulk and Wonder Woman have enhanced healing factors. I'm pretty sure breast cancer is a non-issue for them.

Now if you want a cancer spokesperson, I'm sure you could get Deadpool to do it.