Here's everything it takes to get PS5 SSD transfer speeds on PC

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Except not really?

Linus hasn't actually touched a PS5 yet. He's basically guessing at what the speeds supposedly are based on the info that Sony has publicly released, which isn't a whole lot.

The set-up he's using also ends up with 8x the storage of the PS5, and I'm guessing the component quality is also a hell of a lot better.

I'm giving the PS5 less than 2 years before there's an affordable solution for the PC market that allows similar performance, and that's assuming Sony isn't blowing smoke up all of our asses the same way they did with the cell-processor architecture during the PS3 era.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I'm giving the PS5 less than 2 years before there's an affordable solution for the PC market that allows similar performance,
You mean, same as most console generations except for this last one where the consoles underperformed PC's at release :ROFLMAO:

I agree, I just find it depressing hilarious to have the same conversation every few years with the addendum "But no, this time is different, see..."

I know the PS5 has supposedly been built to cut RAM out of the equation and that would be a little feat that standard motherboards can't replicate, but as far as I can tell from the specs it just has a combined VRAM source for all memory needs and a nicely engineered SSD along the lines of NVMe drives currently on PCs.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It only takes ~$5,000 to do what the PS5 will be able to do on PC, which includes a 24-core Threadripper.

Yet somehow I’m still not worried that the new PC I’m building on the weekend is going to be overshadowed by a $600 console.

I do like watching Linus do his thing though; such exuberance :)

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I've always found PC vs Console arguments to be fundamentally dishonest. It comes in basically two flavors:
1) "That $400 console is vastly inferior to my much more expensive desktop computer" (It better be, or you got fleeced)
or
2) "if you buy a sketch processor and graphics card used from a server farm, get a once-a-year screaming sale on a hard drive and motherboard, already have a case and keyboard and mouse, pirate an operating system, and scavenge a power supply from a recycled computer somebody threw out, you can get a computer that's barely better then a new, off-the-shelf $400 console that comes with a warranty" (Great, now compare the computer to that sketchy $150 PS4 Pro that fell off the back of a truck being sold on eBay)

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I didn't post the video for PC vs Console argument purposes. I feel, especially since current-gen being x86 architecture, it's pretty pointless as all games are on all platforms now whether it's some super small indie game like Obra Dinn, CRPGs like Divinity or Pillars, or a much more graphical tour-de-force like Witcher 3 (that was primarily a PC game series beforehand). There's no games like Crysis anymore that a console can't run.

The point is to be able to pull data from a SSD like the PS5 can do, you need like 8-10 cores just allocated to decompressing data. I very much doubt PC mobos are going to start shipping with built-in chips that the PS5 has to handle that on their own nor is the average PC gamer going to buy a Threadripper just to be able to do this either. Even if you do build a machine to be able to do this, devs aren't going to code their games in a way pull data straight from the SSD when probably not even 1% of their audience has a system that can do it. Whereas every PS5 has the ability so devs can take advantage of it (though I doubt multiplatform games will). I'm not sure if say 1st-party PS5 games will be able to do anything gameplay-wise that can't be done otherwise. I'm guessing that it'll just allow PS5 games to make the most of their hardware as what the game can display at any one point is still limited by the GPU.

The best games now rarely even push graphics anymore and the best looking AAA games are usually shit games so I don't see what the point of arguing over graphical capabilities is anymore. Gamedec looks far more ambitious than Cyberpunk for example and I'm sure my Ryzen APU will be able to run it without issue.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Oh definitely. Specialized yet standardized hardware is one of the ways consoles have the potential to outdo PCs. Happened back in the early 3D/Turok era.
Nintendo's top-dog at that sort of thing these days (at least for big developers) and it mostly comes down to, like you said, them designing around a set system and not worrying about being multi-platform. Mario Odyssey would probably be much bigger than 6 Gb and much jankier if it had to be designed with 100's of variations of hardware in mind.

That said, console manufacturing tends to add in weirdness of its own, like how the Nintendo Switch technically has all the hardware necessary to stream 4K video, but uses a proprietary doohickey so that the signal put out from its usb-c port is SD unless it's plugged into the proprietary dock, in which case it upgrades to HD. Then again, it's only streaming services are NicoNico, YouTube, and Hulu, and it definitely doesn't have the power to *render* 4k games, so 4K streaming isn't exactly a priority. It's just a weird thingy to make people buy a $90 dock.

So yeah. It'll be interesting to see if Sony isn't just creatively describing what the PS5 can do, how it stacks up to the nuBox overall, and how it compares to generalized computer hardware.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I look forward to seeing what the PS5 can do.

To upgrade my current Ryzen 1700, RX 480 8 Gb desktop to match my Xbox 1 X would cost me a fortune. So, $500 for gen 9 seems a good deal.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I look forward to seeing what the PS5 can do.

To upgrade my current Ryzen 1700, RX 480 8 Gb desktop to match my Xbox 1 X would cost me a fortune. So, $500 for gen 9 seems a good deal.
Exactly, getting a video card and power supply for me would probably be close to a next-gen console in price anyway considering I'll probably wait a couple years as I doubt there'll be a must play title for at least a year.

Reactions: gorfias

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I'm thoroughly uninterested in switching from a PC to a console, but it's nothing to do with raw power; my PC built around a 1050TI and 7th gen i5 can barely keep up with the current gen, let alone next gen. What I like about the PC is that it has a huge variety of games, and they're often not very expensive, and I can play them all on the same machine I browse the web and do work on.

Reactions: SupahEwok

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I'm thoroughly uninterested in switching from a PC to a console, but it's nothing to do with raw power; my PC built around a 1050TI and 7th gen i5 can barely keep up with the current gen, let alone next gen. What I like about the PC is that it has a huge variety of games, and they're often not very expensive, and I can play them all on the same machine I browse the web and do work on.
I just have a Ryzen 5 3400g APU and it plays every game from last-gen at 60+ fps. And, most of what's considered "typical PC games" like say Divinity or Cities Skylines don't push graphics too much anyway and my APU can play them just fine. You really only need the power for the AAA shinies that are getting shitter and shitter.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I just have a Ryzen 5 3400g APU and it plays every game from last-gen at 60+ fps. And, most of what's considered "typical PC games" like say Divinity or Cities Skylines don't push graphics too much anyway and my APU can play them just fine. You really only need the power for the AAA shinies that are getting shitter and shitter.
The only games that i have that somewhat push the boundaries of my system are Stellaris and similar titles. And certainly not because of graphics.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Not necessarily true. You sometimes need a decent amount of processing power not just for graphics but games that have a lot of physics calculations, like Kerbal Space Program, or where there are a lot of characters on screen at once, like Vermintide.

It's also not necessarily about how shiny your game is, but also how fast it runs. I can't imagine playing Doom 2016 on a Switch and getting below 30fps and considering that "playable." Some games you just really need a high framerate to really enjoy.

Having a powerful enough PC also really helps with poorly performance optimized games.