Here's the Final Numbers on the Humble Indie Bundle #2

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Here's the Final Numbers on the Humble Indie Bundle #2

The second Humble Indie Bundle sale is officially over, and it's safe to say that it was a success in every conceivable way.

The Humble Indie Bundle 2 has been making headlines for the past few days, for a number of different reasons. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105996-The-Humble-Indie-Bundle-Comes-to-Steam>It came to Steam. It <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106298-Humble-Indie-Bundle-2-Hits-Steam-Breaks-1-2-Million>surpassed the amount of money raised by the previous bundle. The original Bundle was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106400-Pay-Enough-For-the-Second-Humble-Indie-Bundle-Get-First-as-a-Bonus>included as a part of the deal. Now, the final amount of money the sale raised has been revealed.

The sale managed to raise $1.8 million. The bundle itself was purchased a total of 232,849 times, and the average price paid was $7.83. Linux users paid the highest amount per purchase, shelling out an average of $13.76. Mac users paid an average of $9.26, Windows users' average was $6.67. The Bundle's homepage also tracked the largest purchases and the highest amount paid for it was $6,132.96 (for a while, notch - the guy behind Minecraft - held that spot with his $2,000 purchase).

At the moment, there's no news on how the money was split up between the various groups involved. When asked about how much money was sent to the EFF, Jeff Rosen of Wolfire stated that the final numbers were still being tallied.

Source: Humble Bundle

Dec 14, 2009
It's good to see that not all people are selfish fuckers who only shelled out 1 cent for what is a good collection of games.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Linux users paid the highest. Windows users paid the lowest. The former were twice as generous as the latter. Why am I not surprised?

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
SimuLord said:
Linux users paid the highest. Windows users paid the lowest. The former were twice as generous as the latter. Why am I not surprised?
Windows users are a majority, thus more people who want to avoid paying more. Linux users have always been generous when it comes to developers who are contributing to their community.

PS: I paid 8 dollars, just enough to get the first bundle included in the sale.

EDIT: Vansau, you forgot to mention that Bundle has also reached the Desura distribution platform.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
That's great. I paid 8 bucks as well to get the first bundle.

So far I've only played and finished Machinarium and Penumbra: Overture from both the bundles, but they were a ton of fun.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Now to see how many people pirated the collection even though they could have paid even a single dollar for it.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
SimuLord said:
If for the sake of argument there are 50 Linux users, and 100 Windows users, even if the the 50 Linux users paid $13 each, and made up a total of 650 dollars, the 100 Windows users would still have raised 600 dollars or so even though they individually paid much less.

All seems to even out, even if it does paint the picture of one group simply being more or less generous than the other.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
i only spent 3 bucks.... in fairness though, that was all my money in my account. christmas broke the bank.

Oct 14, 2010
Even with all you hear about people paying a penny, it's truly amazing to reach such a high mark. I would not have imagined it.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
Now to see how many people pirated the collection even though they could have paid even a single dollar for it.
And hopefully people who wanted it free, pirated it via bittorrent or a similar protocol, because if they'd pay 1cent for it, they would just be taking up bandwidth from their servers, while contributing nothing to the bundle. However, the guys behind the bundle did give out an anonymous survey for those who pirated the game, apparently a very common answer was that people just loved bittorrent as a protocol, as a response they put a torrent of the games on their own webpage as an alternative method of download. Heh...

Also, I paid 15$. Windows user.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
Like last year? Probably a lot. Jerks are abound.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Due to the high demand for pirating it the humble bundle guys actually created a torrent themselves in which people can use to get it.

http://torrentfreak.com/humble-indie-bundle-2-embraces-bittorrent-101224/

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
redmarine said:
StriderShinryu said:
Due to the high demand for pirating it the humble bundle guys actually created a torrent themselves in which people can use to get it.

This may be a bit of a threadjack, but how long before the US government officially outlaws BitTorrent under the DMCA? Yes, BT can be and has been used to do things that are entirely legitimate (this link, Blizzard's distributed method of getting WoW patches out, most Linux distros, just to name three off the top of my head) but usually "torrent" is all but synonymous with "means of piracy".

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
redmarine said:
StriderShinryu said:

I encourage everyone to use the official torrent after you buy it to download it so it saves them bandwidth costs.

Echo136 said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
I feel like a prick... I only paid $0.94...
Dont feel bad. I paid only $.50
Last time I spent only $0.09...

JamesCG

May 3, 2008
I only paid a penny, because I literally had no money except for what was left on a Visa Gift Card. : <