Herman Cain's Tax Plan Brings SimCity to Real Life

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
Heh. I posted a thread on this same subject, no one responded...ah well.

Fun bit is, though, there's no actual connection here. In Sim City, the rates are all for property taxes --- which Cain's plan says nothing about. Conversely, the corporate income, personal income and sales taxes which comprise Cain's plan appear nowhere in Sim City.

Only the "999" number is similar --- on essentially the same basis that religious nuts are yelling "flip 999 over and you get 666".

EDIT: ...which I see someone in this thread has already done. *eyeroll*

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"It's simple, it's fair," etc., is meant to reflect Cain's presentation of the idea, and ties into the first line, "Herman Cain has a plan for America," the sort of line you'd hear in a campaign commercial or a stump speech. I'm not opposed to a flat tax in principle and the relative simplicity of such a system certainly has appeal, but I don't think simplicity on the implementation side, which is to say turning your entire taxation system into a sound bite, is an adequate approach.

I pay 13 percent sales tax, by the way, and I also have access to free health care. That's fair.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Xanthious said:
Unfortunately for Cain I have just as much chance of writing a tax plan up on this discarded tissue in my waste bin and getting it passed as he does of passing that 9/9/9 plan. Even if he wins the White House (which is highly unlikely as Romney is pretty much all but written in on the ballots at this point) republicans and democrats both will shoot that thing down with a quickness. The conservatives will never let a new 9% federal sales tax pass on their watch while the liberals won't raise the taxes on the poor and middle class, many of whom pay no taxes at all and some even make money come tax time. Bottom line is this plan of his will be dead in the water before it's ever proposed.
Romney isnt going anywhere. A Mormon is unelectable. Look at how much opposition Kennedy had just for being a Catholic (which is a long established religion, not so for the upstart cult of "American Christianity" like Mormonism). I like Cain the best out of the GOP hopefuls, at least he is not a Christian Fundamentalist.

Enough with shitty GOP manufactured talking points. I pay taxes every time I get paid to both federal and medicare/ss .(Sure I get most of my FICA back, but I'm still forced to loan money to the US government [at no interest btw] annually. I get none of my medicare/ss back) I pay state taxes every time I buy something not food related. I pay who knows how many of 100s and 1000s of miscellaneous taxes.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
as much as I like the 999 plan, we have a lot more spending issues that the mayor of SimCity had to deal with.

What we need is a SimCountry? SimNation? type game. Seems like fun. I wonder if it actually exists...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
ugh. I dislike flat taxes. it always sucks leaving home where tehy dont take food and clothing, then going somwhere where they do.

But eh. Cain didnt pick this up from Sim City. Still its going to be funny to see the gamers make complete asses of themselves by saying he did and holding it against the "games are bad" political argument taken.

though really I find the whole presidential race to be funny since the qualified people dont want to run, and the few that do (clinton) get mocked and laughed down.

Plus the people who do the US budgest barely know economics, since most dont seem to understand the simple free market plan.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
tacotrainwreck said:
Unfortunately, there's no cheat codes for free money to augment that tax plan. ;)

And no on-call space invasions... rats...
Just call Ozzymandius for the space invasion part.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Can I just ruin the joke and say that the 9-9-9 plan is far too simplistic, single minded and inflexible to be effective, not to mention it actually raises taxes on the poor and wouldn't generate sufficient revenue.

Oh wait, everyone's ruined the joke already, now I don't feel so bad.

Damien Granz

Apr 8, 2011
Xanthious said:
Unfortunately for Cain I have just as much chance of writing a tax plan up on this discarded tissue in my waste bin and getting it passed as he does of passing that 9/9/9 plan. Even if he wins the White House (which is highly unlikely as Romney is pretty much all but written in on the ballots at this point) republicans and democrats both will shoot that thing down with a quickness. The conservatives will never let a new 9% federal sales tax pass on their watch while the liberals won't raise the taxes on the poor and middle class, many of whom pay no taxes at all and some even make money come tax time. Bottom line is this plan of his will be dead in the water before it's ever proposed.
The bottom 50% of the country, the poor, do pay taxes. Yes, they don't pay 'federal income' tax, but their income is taxed in payroll taxes by about 8%. Then they pay more state and local income taxes than the rich per dollar, more excise taxes than the rich per dollar, property tax (for the few that manage own anything anyways, and those that don't you can be assured will have their rent adjusted to offset the costs to their renters), higher percentage of their income in sales tax than the rich, etc.

And to say that they're not responsible for any corporate taxes is also misleading, because if a company pays a % of it's profit in taxes, there's no way that some of that money is not coming out of the wages of employees and prices are raised on consumers to make up the difference. So the poor do effectively pay corporate taxes if they work for one, unless you think that a single CEO pays all corporate taxes out of pocket out of the goodness of his heart.

The bottom 50% is responsible only for roughly 2.5% of the nation's wealth, but it (directly) pays for about 4% of the federal budget.

It's easy to be misleading if you ignore pretty most of the data. Saying they pay no taxes is about as intellectually honest as saying that a bag of skittles only contains red pieces, if you just happen to not count any other color piece.

tehroc said:
Romney isnt going anywhere. A Mormon is unelectable. Look at how much opposition Kennedy had just for being a Catholic (which is a long established religion, not so for the upstart cult of "American Christianity" like Mormonism). I like Cain the best out of the GOP hopefuls, at least he is not a Christian Fundamentalist.

Enough with shitty GOP manufactured talking points. I pay taxes every time I get paid to both federal and medicare/ss .(Sure I get most of my FICA back, but I'm still forced to loan money to the US government [at no interest btw] annually. I get none of my medicare/ss back) I pay state taxes every time I buy something not food related. I pay who knows how many of 100s and 1000s of miscellaneous taxes.
To be fair, times have shifted a bit away from the worry that a Catholic president would be basically a puppet leader for a foreign Papal leader, just because he's Catholic. Now people just think that if somebody's a half black half white Protestant they'll be a puppet leader for a foreign Islamic state, just because his name's spooky and they can't tell the difference between Arabic and Kenyan.

Wait, did I say times have changed? Never mind. Carry on, sir.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
tehroc said:
Xanthious said:

Isn't Cain the guy who was going to single out muslims for "loyalty checks" to the constitution if they wanted to work in his cabinet?
Because I am sure there is something in that big ol' document that America loves to harp on about so much that says that any form of check based on religion is directly antithetical to the nature of the country

Im not too sure about that dude not being too religious.

rainbowunicorns

May 18, 2009
LGC Pominator said:
Isn't Cain the guy who was going to single out muslims for "loyalty checks" to the constitution if they wanted to work in his cabinet?
Because I am sure there is something in that big ol' document that America loves to harp on about so much that says that any form of check based on religion is directly antithetical to the nature of the country
I would be very interested to hear what part of the constitution you believe disallows that.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
MatthewAmirault said:
LGC Pominator said:
I would be very interested to hear what part of the constitution you believe disallows that.
Article 6 Paragraph 3 of the united states constitution:

"The senators and representatives before mentioned and the members of the several state legislatures and all executives and judicial officers of the United States shall be bound by oath and affirmation to support this constitution, but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States"

Done

rainbowunicorns

May 18, 2009
It's not a test of their religion. That he intends to check the loyalty of Muslims to the United States would indicate that that he is willing to hire them.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
And I would commend him for that, except for the fact that he singled out that particular faith for a check of loyalty to the constitution, stating that he is uncomfortable with them that makes me sick, not mentioning his confusion of the declaration of independence with the constitution anyway, something makes me think he hasn't even read it, hell I am a foriegner and I still took the time to give it a read through.

From the perspective of an independent observer, America seems like a really strange country, the whole thing with republicans going on about how democrats won't "support the troops" then booing a soldier who has come out as gay, claiming to be "pro-life" but then trying to pass a bill that would restrict women who need access to procedures in order to save their life, basically killing them, and going on and on about how much they love Reagan, even when he wouldn't be electable as a democrat these days, given his tax rates and the deals he made with middle eastern groups that will go unnamed.

Captain Trek

Jul 21, 2011
LGC Pominator said:
...and going on and on about how much they love Reagan, even when he wouldn't be electable as a democrat these days, given his tax rates and the deals he made with middle eastern groups that will go unnamed.
You mean unelectable as a Republican, right? Even so, although he wasn't the sort of conservative modern neo-cons like to think that he ws, his policies still managed to screw America over something chronic...

http://newsjunkiepost.com/2011/02/06/the-disastrous-legacy-of-ronald-reagan-in-charts/

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
As an Australian, it sounds like an awfully low tax rate, though I'd be damned if I could cite my own countries equivalent.

violinist1129

Oct 12, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
mjc0961 said:
I hope it's 9 percent flat tax for all individuals with no limit. Tax breaks for the rich are insanely stupid.
He's a Republican. Of course it isn't.
The whole point of the equivalent income and corporate tax is so that the super-rich can't hide their money in their business to get out of taxes. It's really annoying when people dismiss politicians for belonging to either party as if every member of a party held the same views.