Heroes & Heralds Now Available For Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Heroes & Heralds Now Available For Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3

At long last Capcom has released the free Heroes & Heralds gameplay mode for Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3.

The update adds a host of gameplay additions and tweaks to the fighter, which are best outlined in Capcom's official press release:

Heroes & Heralds is a separate mode that adds new and customizable features to online and offline gameplay. Players will choose between two factions - Heroes or Heralds- and will engage in a series of battles with the opposing side to help save the world or take it over. Gameplay in the Heroes & Heralds mode will be altered through the acquisition of Ability cards that range from basic alterations (speed boost) to game-changing, combo enhancing powers (invisibility or ability to pass through projectiles). Cards can be used in online and offline versions of the Heroes & Heralds modes as well as the training mode. Ability cards are based on classic Marvel and Capcom characters.

More specifically, the mode allows players to outfit their team of fighters with cards based on famous Capcom and Marvel Comics characters that sport a number of interesting effects. One card might turn your team of three into a team of one, while another might turn your fighter invisible. All told there are over 100 such cards in the new mode [http://www.capcom-unity.com/marvelvscapcom/go/thread/view/102977/28773325/Heroes__Heralds_Ability_Card_list] and while you're granted an initial handful, you'll have to play the game to unlock the rest.

Additionally, Heroes & Heralds brings with it a new online gameplay mode in which players choose a side (either Heroes fighting in defense of Earth or Heralds of the planet-devouring Galactus) and battle for control of virtual territory.

Most crucially, all this added stuff is totally free of charge. Just fire up your console of choice, drop in the Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 disc and as soon as you start the game, you'll be asked to install the pertinent update.

Oh, and those of you still complaining that Mega Man is nowhere to be found in Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3? Sorry to crush your contrarian dreams, but the Blue Bomber does make an appearance with this update. Granted, he's only a still image on a relatively underpowered card, but that's better than nothing, right?

(That wasn't hypothetical. I really can't decide if that's actually better than nothing.)

Dec 14, 2009
Don't really care for H&H, looks broken as fuck.

Interestingly enough, they nerfed Phoenix Wright but left Wesker untouched, with his randon Phantom Dance crossup, sunglasses buff which is essentially a level 1 X-factor for the price of one bar of hyper, which also stacks with actual X-factor, meaing that Wesker on anchor has a level 4 X-factor.

Nice to see Capcom know what they're doing...

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Don't really care for H&H, looks broken as fuck.

Interestingly enough, they nerfed Phoenix Wright but left Wesker untouched, with his randon Phantom Dance crossup, sunglasses buff which is essentially a level 1 X-factor for the price of one bar of hyper, which also stacks with actual X-factor, meaing that Wesker on anchor has a level 4 X-factor.

Nice to see Capcom know what they're doing...
It being broken is pretty much the point though, and it's not necessarily broken if everyone has the same options available to them. Plus, it's an entirely separate mode that has no impact on the regular experience. For people who are looking for a wackier party fighter experience with, unlike most party fighters, an actual underpinning in a real solid fighting game it probably fits the bill perfectly.

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
with his randon Phantom Dance crossup
that leads to nothing and does minimal damage outside of certain specific and unreliable DHCs

sunglasses buff which is essentially a level 1 X-factor for the price of one bar of hyper
it's weaker than x-factor 1 on any character and is a punishable hyper

which also stacks with actual X-factor, meaing that Wesker on anchor has a level 4 X-factor.
Not true at all when you do the numbers.

It's pretty well regarded that Wesker is not the best character in the game, he's just popular at this point due to being easy and his assist making your point character easy. Everything about him is just average, he's nothing outstanding.

Dec 14, 2009
Hitman Dread said:
Daystar Clarion said:
that leads to nothing and does minimal damage outside of certain specific and unreliable DHCs

sunglasses buff which is essentially a level 1 X-factor for the price of one bar of hyper

which also stacks with actual X-factor, meaing that Wesker on anchor has a level 4 X-factor.

It's pretty well regarded that Wesker is not the best character in the game, he's just popular at this point due to being easy and his assist making your point character easy. Everything about him is just average, he's nothing outstanding.
Minimal damage!?

Which game have you been playing?

I've lost matches a countless number of times because a level 3 Wesker managed to hit me out of nowhere with PD, he's the cheesiest character in the game.

The guy is broken as hell, has above average health and does insane damage by just doing a basic magic series. The guy's a fucking monster with X-factor.

Dec 14, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Hitman Dread said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Have to agree. His Phantom Dance is extremely weak. Only time it ever actually did anything for me is when I used it against Galactus.
I'm not disputing that it's weak outside of X-factor, but the move is super safe (beam hypers can catch him if they're quick enough), but it randomly crosses up. I was in a fight today, my level 3 x-factor Ammy against level 3 Wesker. I would have chipped the guy out (his x-factor was pretty much done) but his random PD crossed me up out of nowhere and it cost me the match.

Dec 14, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Daystar Clarion said:
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Hitman Dread said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Have to agree. His Phantom Dance is extremely weak. Only time it ever actually did anything for me is when I used it against Galactus.
I'm not disputing that it's weak outside of X-factor, but the move is super safe (beam hypers can catch him if they're quick enough), but it randomly crosses up. I was in a fight today, my level 3 x-factor Ammy against level 3 Wesker. I would have chipped the guy out (his x-factor was pretty much done) but his random PD crossed me up out of nowhere and it cost me the match.
Well now I see the problem. You were using that fucking dog from Okami.
It doesn't matter. It's crossed up X-23, Vergil, Morrigan.

The damn move is broken.

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
I'm not disputing that it's weak outside of X-factor, but the move is super safe (beam hypers can catch him if they're quick enough), but it randomly crosses up.
That can't be something you can rely upon.
And no it isn't safe, you just have to learn how he lands and how to punish it. Most charecters can wavedash over it and mess his stuff over.

Dec 14, 2009
Hitman Dread said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I'm not disputing that it's weak outside of X-factor, but the move is super safe (beam hypers can catch him if they're quick enough), but it randomly crosses up.
That can't be something you can rely upon.
And no it isn't safe, you just have to learn how he lands and how to punish it. Most charecters can wavedash over it and mess his stuff over.
Well the moves finishes where it starts, so if he starts it from the opposite side of the screen, it's mega safe, but if he starts it next to you and block it, it's super punishable. Most of the wesker users I've faced will throw it out at the end of a combo, or from a place on screen that I can't get to in time. (I consider Vergil's teleport quicker than wavedashing across the screen and I still can't punish a full screen PD).

Remove the random crossups and the glasses buff and the guy is fine.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
I absolutely love this discussion over balance in MVC.

Mostly because it reminds me why I don't play fighting games online. Folks start counting frames and discussing how many seconds in between moves. CRAZY.

But at least ya'll having fun.

I don't own Ultimate...but this mode might be a selling point for me :).