Heroes of the Storm Tournament Will Cover Your College Tuition

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Heroes of the Storm Tournament Will Cover Your College Tuition

Blizzard Entertainment and TeSPA's "Heroes of the Dorm" is a Heroes of the Storm tournament with an entire college career tuition as the main prize.

If there was any lingering doubt as to whether esports were actual sports, one detail will clear it up - if you're good enough, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137631-League-of-Legends-NACC-Registration-Opens>it will totally cover your college tuition. Take Blizzard Entertainment, which just announced its new "Heroes of the Dorm" competition. Anyone can now sign up right now for a Heroes of the Storm elimination bracket, automatically unlocking the beta for training purposes. That puts you in the running for over $450,000 in prizes, with the top prize awarding tuition payments for an entire college career. Oh, one more thing: Those tournament finals will be aired on ESPN.

Organized by Blizzard and TeSPA, Heroes of the Dorm will be an elimination bracket between 64 five-player teams. Those teams will be selected via qualifying rounds on March 28-29, in preparation for an official competition starting on April 11. All players of the winning team will be awarded full college tuition, while players in their fourth year can earn up to $25,000 to cover past expenses.

As the tournament progresses, the Heroes of the Dorm website will keep audiences engaged with a fantasy bracket. Visitors can make predictions for how the game will unfold, with top predictions earning anything from a gaming PC to a $10,000 prize. That's all very impressive for a game <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139452-Heroes-of-the-Storm-Closed-Beta-Has-New-Map-Thrall>that only recently went into closed beta.

So are you a college student who thinks you could win a Heroes of the Storm tournament - and more importantly, balance it around your course finals? If yes, the Heroes of the Dorm website is taking submissions until March 26, 2015. Best of luck!

Source: Heroes of the Dorm

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Sounds like a nice prize gimmick

...though for the people who live in countries that offer free university educations, its kinda useless - so I doubt it'd work where I live.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
webkilla said:
Sounds like a nice prize gimmick

...though for the people who live in countries that offer free university educations, its kinda useless - so I doubt it'd work where I live.
I'd imagine a cash equivalent would work just fine in such cases...

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
I love Blizzard, I really do, but... A tournament held in a game that isn't even out of the beta?

What will they do if something terribly wrong happens in the game due to several bugs? In a tournament with cameras, an audience and cash prices no less!

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
iLikeHippos said:
I love Blizzard, I really do, but... A tournament held in a game that isn't even out of the beta?

What will they do if something terribly wrong happens in the game due to several bugs? In a tournament with cameras, an audience and cash prices no less!
The same thing Rito did; keep playing. Honestly with Blizzard and e-sports, something going wrong at the stage is far more likely than bugs. :p

OT:
Pretty neat.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
iLikeHippos said:
A tournament held in a game that isn't even out of the beta?
They've been holding tournaments in this game for months. I got a Beta invite about a month ago myself and only found one minor bug that didn't affect gameplay. Game is already very polished.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
iLikeHippos said:

Blizzard Betas are so close to the finished product usually that it barely matters.

WoW is the exception since the development team for WoW is so under pressure all the time that I'm surprised there aren't more mental breakdowns. The content for WoW is never enough.