Heroes TV Series Returns in 2015

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Heroes TV Series Returns in 2015

Heroes Reborn will continue NBC's story of superpowered individuals with a 13-episode mini-series and digital-exclusive tie-in.

When NBC's Heroes first debuted in 2006, it was easily one of the best superhero stories to appear on television. Between its solid character development, interconnected plot threads, and Zachary Quinto's debut as a superpowered serial killer, Heroes surprised fans and critics alike, leaving them excited for upcoming episodes. Unfortunately, each subsequent Heroes season dropped the ball in the storytelling department, until the show was finally cancelled after four years. Still, when Heroes was good it was really good, so fans have long hoped the show would return for a more conclusive finale. Thankfully, it seems it will get its chance next year with a 13-episode mini-series and digital tie-in that reintroduces the superpowered universe.

"The enormous impact Heroes had on the television landscape when it first launched in 2006 was eye-opening," president of NBC Entertainment Jennifer Salke said. "Shows with that kind of resonance don't come around often and we thought it was time for another installment. We're thrilled that visionary creator Tim Kring was as excited about jumping back into this show as we were and we look forward to all the new textures and layers Tim plans to add to his original concept."

Digital tie-ins are nothing new for Heroes; in fact, NBC used to host a long-running webcomic that heavily expanded the show's backstory. The real question is which actors will come back for the new mini-series. Zachary Quinto's Sylar was a breakout role and fan-favorite character, but with the Star Trek reboot under his belt, it's uncertain that he'll return. Hayden Panettiere, Milo Ventimiglia, and Masi Oka also had major roles throughout the series, and that's not even scratching the surface of the extended cast.

By the time these digital tie-in are revealed, we should have more details on what to expect. In the meantime, I'll be hoping that the Heroes mini-series harkens back to the success of season 1, or failing that, brings some closure to the series and characters.

Source: <a href=http://mashable.com/2014/02/22/heroes-reborn-nbc-tv-miniseries/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link>Mashable

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I've fond memories of the first season of Heroes, and barely any of the seasons afterwards. Time will tell if this miniseries is going to match the first season in quality.

Fapmaster5000

May 13, 2011
Ldude893 said:
I've fond memories of the first season of Heroes, and barely any of the seasons afterwards. Time will tell if this miniseries is going to match the first season in quality.
You mean when they tried to remake Watchmen? Yeah, I can see how that would be really good, but I liked it better in the 80s. :p

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Well, I didn't expect this at all, but I'm really happy. Heroes was my favourite tv series in its hey-day.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Ldude893 said:
Agreed. the first series was easily one of my favorite television series's of all time. It then fell into the old superhero drama pile up with Xantos Gambits and Deus Ex Machina powers all over the place (Empathic mimicry...) as well as plot points which didn't lead to anything (That guy who could melt anything made of metal with his mind) and just sheer nonsense (An eclipse takes away all their powers despite it being shown that their powers don't have anything to do with it by that point)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
"Reborn" feels a lot like "Reboot" to me. My keen entertainment consumption instincts tell me that it will be slightly worse than Agents of Shield, but better than the new Batman tv series. Goes without saying that Arrow is the best so far. Not that there's a lot of competition.

In any case, I don't think many if any of the original cast will be returning. Yeah, reboot.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Eh. I think I'll pass, though that may be a kneejerk reaction. The writers just didn't seem to know what to do with the show after the first season. I kind of liked the plot in the second season with the gaijin samurai guy (existing as a villain in both the past and present simultaneously), but even he got killed off.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Is it Christmas again already? First Constantine, now this. I really gotta get a tivo. The sheer number of supernatural dramas currently running and coming up is going to leave me zero free time for anything else. One problem though is that, just like HBO would've had to do eventually if True Blood weren't ending, Heroes is likely going to run into the "Why have these effectively immortal characters aged?" scenario. But I'm not complaining. I want to see the aftermath of the live-on-TV powers revelation, and maybe someone jaunt into the future to grab that Scottish girl who was left behind. Didn't much care for the last season since it was largely a setup to put a crutch on certain overpowered characters, but the show still played out like a comic book and I admired that.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The success of failure of "Heroes" entirely depends on their ability to give it a high budget and the FX it needs, as well as finding good stunt people for the cast members that can't do choreography to save their lives. The problem with "Heroes" is that it started out in the first season as a cool origin story, but then it never really managed to progress much beyond that because none of the things that should have happened, did happen, largely because they just couldn't handle the idea of super-heroic combat within their limited budget, especially as a regular thing. This meant that they had to keep contriving reasons for very little to happen and everything remain almost purely dramatic, with the most frequently used powers being ones that could be done for very little money.

Looking at what "Sanctuary" did with Green Screen, and some of the fights in more recent outings like "The Tomorrow People" it makes me think that some of that is spilling over onto "Heroes" with the guys holding that IP now seeing what they could be doing with it, given a similar budget.

As far as Zachary Quinto goes, he's an "A" lister for the moment, but his position is tentative. The reactions to the "Star Trek" movies were mixed even if he winds up not getting terribly mauled (people, including me, tend to like him as a young Spock even if they don't like much else about the movie, he at least looks the part). I don't remember him getting signed for any big movies recently (though I could be forgetting something) and really his most recurring work has been on the small screen, having done heroes and of course "American Horror Story" (both seasons, especially the second one), unless he's been signed to a bunch of projects I'm forgetting, I'd imagine he'd be pretty easy to land for another TV show in order to keep working and keep his name/face out there. Masi Oka at least is also pretty easy since his current gig, a recurring role on "Hawaii 5-O" seems to be coming to an end as the show is in it's last season apparently, which means a 2015 release of "Heroes" is perfect for him to pretty much keep working as well. I can't comment on a lot of the other people mentioned though. Oh and Malcolm Mcdowell seems to like to work so he might possibly make a return somehow, he's had a recurring villain role on "The Mentalist", so even if they didn't hire him as a recurring character, he does seem to be within the small screen price range to show up for a few episodes.

Stormtyrant

Nov 5, 2011
Personally I've been hoping for "Hiro Nakamura: A Space-Time Opera" to be a thing for a while now...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Just for my own sake and peace of mind, tie the shit up thats been dangling in the plot since Season 2. And pretty much every other major plot thread/hole that was never really tied up.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
The plot got too convoluted, even for the people writing it. What they should have done, and what I hoped was the case back then, was to introduce a new cast every season. Every season we would get completely new heroes a completely new ensemble cast and completely new storylines with only a thin thread connecting each season.

The show mythology just got completely out of hand. All the familial relations turned into a soap opera with powers.

Another thing that peeved me was that they never actually became super heroes, at least not by the time I stopped watching, this is however just a minor peeve.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
season 2 of heroes was so baffling they had what seemed like it was going to be a long drawn out season and then wrapped it up in two episodes it was around the same time they had that writers strike so that might explain it

they never seemed to know what to do with sylar though

O maestre said:
Another thing that peeved me was that they never actually became super heroes, at least not by the time I stopped watching, this is however just a minor peeve.
i would argue that peter did at least try to do the super hero thing but then they decided that it wouldn't be "fair"
for one guy to have every characters powers its like how they kept having to come up with excuses for why hiro couldn't just solve all their problems with time travel

person427

May 28, 2009
Funny, I was just talking about this show earlier. I actually liked the first 2 and a half seasons, but then season 3 completely changed direction for the second half. I kept watching though, and while I can't say I was a big fan of Season 4 I did still like the characters and was very disappointed by the cliff hanger ending. I'm not getting my hopes up for this one, but I'll definitely check it out.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I have no faith for this show to make a comeback especially the trainwreck they did in the last couple of seasons especially the final-
The cheerleader exposed her power to the News people live by jumping off the ferris wheel thus revealing the existence of super powered people.
What I loved about the first season was how those powered individual were connected but unaware of it and how they had cross each other paths a few times but again didn't realise it until later on. Now that they all became friends pretty much loose thatmystery connection they all had.

The only way I would watch it again is if it was complete reboot starting from season 2 and they had some how mind wipe my memories from season 2 til the final (preferable the Men In Black mindwipe deive).

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
well colour me excited, I loved heroes, even the delightfully awful later seasons, I'm looking forward to this

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Unless you can find the writers that made the first season happen don't even waste your time, I don't know what the fuck happened with their production but season one was jaw dropping and everything else utter garbage... the only thing I can think of is that their writing staff was all on one plane which crashed and burned.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I don't think this will turn out well. I hope it does, but I don't think it will. The first season, many will agree, was pretty damn good. Then it all went to heck in a handbasket and didn't stop being terrible until it was cancelled. Well, maybe some parts of season 4 were okay.... but it was still bad.

If they bring it back, I hope, oh I so hope, that they ditch the original cast. Keep the concepts, but ditch the original story and all the mess that accumulated with it.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
I'm very sceptical given how spectacularly the show crumbled after season 1. They ran into a huge fundamental problem in that the first series built up anticipation of the show progressing into something that the people behind it had neither the means nor the will to deliver.

From there, it was a bewildering (and tedious) exercise in shark-jumping. It got so out of its depth fundamentally, that I don't see how it can be saved from the scrapheap without a complete top-to-bottom re-staff & rebuild with a sufficient budget and a brand new (and significantly more competent) long term plan for where the show is going and how to keep everything in check.