Heroes TV Series Returns in 2015

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I was completely and utterly obsessed with this show when it first aired in the UK. My then best friend and I would spend hours at a time trying to figure out what would happen next, it was so much fun.

I know it lost its way in the later seasons, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been secretly hoping for something like this. Might as well give it a go, right? Even if it's disappointing it's not like it'll take away from how brilliant the first couple of seasons were, and if they do strike gold... squeals uncontrollably

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Cool, I always did like this series, fingers-crossed it'll be decent. I wouldn't mind if they replace a lot of characters either, it wouldn't hurt to get some fresh blood in the series.

shteev

Oct 22, 2007
I never saw the appeal of this one. For me it was just another post-Lost show trading on a sense of foreboding for something the writers hadn't thought of yet. Still, Agents of SHIELD seems to have largely dropped the ball in bringing superheroes back to television, so maybe this is a good time for this show.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Therumancer said:
The success of failure of "Heroes" entirely depends on their ability to give it a high budget and the FX it needs, as well as finding good stunt people for the cast members that can't do choreography to save their lives.
That's not my issue with the show. What I hate about it is that virtually all the danger in the shows comes from the very existence of super powered beings to begin with. Where are the actual heroics? When do these people actually save people, as Superman does on the oil rig in "Man of Steel"?

And I'm tired of Zachary Quinto's character. He should have died in the first season!

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Unlike a lot of people, I didn't start really liking heroes until the second season.

Re-watching the first season puts it pretty close to the memories I have of season 2 though.

I really liked pretty much all of it, season 1 to 3 kept me watching and I enjoyed just about every minute, well except for...
Peter being their BS golden child all the time, when he got the Hatian's power and Sylar (invincible Sylar at this point) came after him, Peter effortlessly suppressed his powers, despite the fact that this was the first time he'd ever used the Hatian's powers and the Hatian himself could barely contain peter's dad for a short period who was vastly weaker than Sylar by this point in the show.

Now season 4 was a different story, I hated it, Zachary Quinto/Sylar was my favourite character, he had great character development up until season 4 and I remember watching every week just waiting for something to happen with him, it get's the finale where you are thinking "This is it!, what's sylar going to do here?" and then he goes off-screen and you don't see or hear anything.

Worst series end ever... which is why I am actually hopeful for this new mini series.

Edit: Though, I really, really hope that if it is all different characters, Noah reprises his role.

Jun 16, 2010
I think the reason it got crap is because the whole draw of the show was that they weren't heroes. The first season was all about beat cops and cheerleaders and junkie painters and nurses and other normal people who get powers and react to this in a realistic way. It was a new spin on the tired old spandex-wearing superhumans.

But then it got more and more comic book-y and less grounded in reality. After the first season it's all conspiracies and shadowy organisations and mad scientists and prophecies. It lost its relatability.

That, and there were too many characters to follow, which meant every episode only progressed a given story by a couple minutes.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Hopefully it's like a reboot with a completely new cast and new plotlines because the original turned in to a complete mess by the end. Throw in a few cameos of beloved fan-favourites but keep it fresh. Maybe have some actual heroes too.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
No NBC. Just no. There is no reason to give this show a new mini series. It had one good season. That's it. Everything after that was a train wreck. And usually the train wrecks were created in the process of trying to undo previous train wrecks. Just let the damn show die. While that first season may have been great, every season after it only served to show that season one was a fluke and the creator and writers had no idea what to do after that. Which leaves me with absolutely no hope they'll magically figure it out several years later.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
The first season of Heroes was great. Second season could have been great, but was a shell of what it could have been due to the writer's strike. After that I pretty much lost interest. All this feels like to me is NBC grasping at another straw to try to keep their network competitive and I really don't think it will work out in their favor.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Hm, I was hoping for this to happen. I do wonder how they will carry on, considering it has been so long and some of the actors looks considerably older. I heard they had started filming some more episodes but had to scrap it.

I am actually looking forward to this, I like the shows I watch to be wrapped up. Season 4 was pretty damn silly (killing someone by throwing rocks at them...? -_-) but I hope the new season is as good almost as good as the first one. I'm sure they can find good writers.

Hopefully they don't cock up again and air it in England months after USA, when it had come out on DVD over there.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
My favourite was the puppet guy. He had like 2 episodes or something and a mini-series on the web. But he was cool and had a neat power.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Good Christ, no. Someone get the axe and the garlic; the stake isn't doing the trick.

It had a very good first season, and then it went completely to hell. It's not budget, and it's not actors; most of the actors who gave it far more time than it deserved were pretty good performers. It was the writing, the writing, and for good measure, the writing. Tim Kring spouting off on "yeah, romance isn't a good fit for the show" showed just how badly he failed to understand: it wasn't that the audience hated romance, it was that the "romance" was watching one character devolve as she fell for an apparent sociopath because the script said she should.

Characters kept doing stupid things for stupid reasons because it was necessary to stumble along to the next plot point or cliffhanger. Characters were killed off because it was easier than actually bringing their convoluted and contrived branches to meaningful conclusions. In season one, it was possible to ask simple questions and expect intelligent answers; further on, that flew completely out the window.

No, Heroes, you don't get to hurt me any more.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Good. The first season was really good, and then the Writers Guild strike happened, and Season 2 suffered because of it. By season 3, it was already too far gone to save.
So, I'm hopeful for a reboot with actual writers instead of whoever they can pull out of their ass, which is what they did to get Season 2 out there. Also, let's hope that Sipher isn't the only meaningful plot point this time around (like, seriously, did everything have to revolve around him?)

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Hmm, seems like a decisive thread. Makes sense I suppose.

I loved, loved, LOVED the first 2 seasons of Heroes. The first season was all about them discovering their powers and the second season was them discovering what else they could do with them, like testing them out and stuff. First season was better than the second, but the second wasn't too terrible or anything. After the Writer's strike, while Heroes has some really good episodes, it was more of an "good ideas bad execution" going on.

-Another Company style faction called Pineherst that is more evil than the supposed bad guys, building up their own villains to go against the heroes

-A synthetic formula to give the masses powers, leading to some of the main cast haven been given this.

-The government rounding up all people with super powers leading to an Us VS Them scenario.

-A power hungry man who gets stronger with more supers around him but offers sanctuary to said supers until he's had enough.

-And then you throw in some time travel and alternate bad futures, along with some flashback episodes.

-Having a weekly Canon comic posted online at their website detailing the minor stories/background of the characters (Linderman, Candace, The Haitian, Rebel, Hana Gittlemen, Kensei, etc)

All good ideas, but it was sort of a mess (the comics not so much). Thinking back on it, it also felt that sometimes the characters would go all over the place. I remember reading how much budget was an issue, and how to do some of their big battles required way too much.

The worst was probably just what they would do with the characters. After the second season, it was like the show didn't want to kill off ANY of the characters, like they were too scared to let any of the actors go or something. The ones they didn't kill off were constantly forgotten, especially the smaller side characters (Wes, Monica, Molly, Peter's infamous girlfriend from Season 2, etc) and never brought them up again. Some characters powers kept getting too out of control, and apparently realistic travel time was thrown out of the window too. So much stuff was left unresolved only to never be brought up at all.

What was with that room the shanti virus was in? So many strange objects that looked like they would go in depth to but never did.

What was with the constant Symbol that kept appearing everywhere in the background? It seemed like they had a plan for that since it appeared in every character's stories, but nothing happened.

Same goes for the cockroaches. You always felt something weird was going on, but nope. Unanswered.

How could that one future painter give Matt and Hiro the ability to see the future?

How/Why does the Eclipse give/take away powers?

How come the formula is never brought up again, as well as how many people were actually given it?

Every few episodes these little things would keep on piling on until you just got annoyed/fed up.

I supposed what I liked the best (besides Time Travel/Flashback episodes, those were always pretty good) was how the main cast would only interact occasionally in the first two seasons. Each character/group had their own personal drama going on, but were all slowly realizing that they were getting into something bigger than themselves. They would crossover with each other for bigger episodes or events, but for the most part it was pretty loose. Come the next seasons it felt like they would constantly find someway for the main cast to be together, and it didn't always work so well. The acting was good though, so there should be no problems there. I suppose having some actual Humans instead of the plethora of Heroes they have would be better though.

So color me interested. I have no idea what they are going to do, but hopefully its better than how it ended the first time. I was really obsessed with the show, and I should probably go back and watch the seasons (have them all on DVD), but at the same time its like..."ugh this is probably going to be worse than I remember".

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Well, I'm interested. The later seasons were of lower quality, but maybe a second chance is just what it needs.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Mr.K. said:
Unless you can find the writers that made the first season happen don't even waste your time, I don't know what the fuck happened with their production but season one was jaw dropping and everything else utter garbage... the only thing I can think of is that their writing staff was all on one plane which crashed and burned.
Writers strike happened, basically. Was a huge thing in the US for a couple years, and the lack of writers really crippled TV and even film for a while.

OT: I am going to echo the sentiments of everyone here, and hope they can manage to bring back the amazing quality of season 1. Season 1 was seriously some of the best TV I have ever seen. Every season after that was either mediocre or laughably bad. I kind of hope they just do a full-on reboot, actually. I doubt there is anything good that they could salvage from the series by the time it ended. :\

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Mr.K. said:
Unless you can find the writers that made the first season happen don't even waste your time, I don't know what the fuck happened with their production but season one was jaw dropping and everything else utter garbage... the only thing I can think of is that their writing staff was all on one plane which crashed and burned.
pretty sure one of the reasons why the show took a dead drop of quality after season 1 is because of the writer's strike happened before season 2, thus kneecapping the show from then on.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic with this show, but am still hoping it'll return to its season 1 glory.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Gorfias said:
Therumancer said:
The success of failure of "Heroes" entirely depends on their ability to give it a high budget and the FX it needs, as well as finding good stunt people for the cast members that can't do choreography to save their lives.
That's not my issue with the show. What I hate about it is that virtually all the danger in the shows comes from the very existence of super powered beings to begin with. Where are the actual heroics? When do these people actually save people, as Superman does on the oil rig in "Man of Steel"?

And I'm tired of Zachary Quinto's character. He should have died in the first season!
Well, again, super-heroics cost money. That scene in "Man Of Steel" probably cost a few million dollars to make.

What's more one of the big problems with a lot of these "let's make the heroes fairly low powered and realistic" means that their level of direct influence is limited. Especially when the guys doing the show want to show the actors as much as possible (a problem that afflicts super hero movies as well) and avoid things like costumes. Part of the whole reason why a hero wears a mask is to avoid accountability for what they do, so they won't be found by the authorities (which classically also pursue a lot of characters like Spider-Man), or have to worry about being sued or whatever. Given that one of the big rules (only broken briefly by the Japanese duo) seemed to be "no costumes" it means you weren't about to see these guys donning costumes and masks to disguise their identity and go running out fight crime. Really the only one that had the power level to operate on a full blown "super hero" level and the inclination to do it was Peter, and they waffled between making him dysfunctional and powering him down so they never had to address that.

I had no problem with Sylar being what he was, every hero show needs a rather tough villain, but I think they dragged him out too long, especially seeing as we never really got to see a common sense reaction to him or anyone with a high power level try and take him on. I mean once we had what people thought was going to be the much anticipated Peter/Sylar fight when Peter had all of his powers, but they decided not to actually show it, and it was in an alternate timeline anyway.

At any rate love it or hate it, I think on some levels "Heroes" sort of showed the entire problem with the deconstructionist super hero movement, and why it's a bad idea and you want to either do things flat up heroic, or engage in re-constructionism. re-constructionism is when you acknowledge the points of the deconstructionist movement but then follow it through to it's logical conclusion that takes it back into the same territory. After all, whether your noble or totally self-serving, if your going to use your powers overtly your going to want to conceal your identity, that means wearing a mask or a helmet (albeit probably requiring full facial coverage unlike some heroes) and probably wanting to wear something that helps disguise your body shape to a casual observer, which means we're going back into stage tricks with shoulder pads, capes, and similar things. Half the point of a flashy costume is that people remember the costume and it's details, and less about the person wearing it. The whole "that looks ridiculous in real life" thing comes from a perspective that nobody actually has super powers and thus doesn't have those kinds of concerns about using them. On some levels the more ridiculous (or corny/cool) your costume looks, the more of a chance your going to have of getting away with whatever your doing and not being identified later. Besides about the time you start flying faster than most vehicles, bouncing bullets off your chest, flipping cars with a hand gesture, and similar types of things is about the time people are going to take you seriously no matter what you decide to wear.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Wow. I really, REALLY don't care. Why would they bother? It's not exactly a series that people have been clamoring for like, say, Firefly.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Xathos said:
So much stuff was left unresolved only to never be brought up at all.

What was with that room the shanti virus was in? So many strange objects that looked like they would go in depth to but never did.

What was with the constant Symbol that kept appearing everywhere in the background? It seemed like they had a plan for that since it appeared in every character's stories, but nothing happened.

Same goes for the cockroaches. You always felt something weird was going on, but nope. Unanswered.

How could that one future painter give Matt and Hiro the ability to see the future?

How/Why does the Eclipse give/take away powers?

How come the formula is never brought up again, as well as how many people were actually given it?
It's been a while but I think I remember enough of the show than I can answer a few of those for ya!

(guess) The point of the items was to indicate a sense of "this stuff happens all the time", consider it padding out to give a sense of a lived in world AND adding a backdoor for future plot devices.

(guess) The symbol was the symbol of the first "special" person and ended up becoming the symbol for the "illuminati-esque" people behind the scenes controlling it all.

(positive) The cockroaches were meant to symbolise evolution. Tim Kring confirmed this in an interview at some time but I don't have the link handy; google it if you don't want to take my word for it

(stumped) I honestly have no clue how that one worked out. If I had to take a wild stab in the dark the writers thought it was a cool power that they wanted to bring back ham-fistedly.

(guess) I do somewhat recall Tim Kring saying in an interview (see above) it was just meant to be more symbolism for the people being gifted with powers. Something like "the odds of a person being born with powers were the same odds of there being a total eclipse". Then of course the crap-flinging apes who got hold of the script afterwards decided there was more to it and decided ecplise = radiation trigger for powers.

(guess) The replacement writers they got were pants-on-head retarded. Simples.