Heroes tv Series

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
The first season was really good, then the series fell down the stairs, had a long stay in the hospital and was never the same again.
  1. Season 1 was really good
  2. Season 2 was still good
  3. Season 3(first half) is where Fanon discontinuity kicked in at the part where Hiro about to be offered to become a villain(due to karmic nature of Arthur Petrelli powerdrains Hiro Nakamura scene) and the second half of Season 3 has Emile Danko
  4. Season 4 has something that leads to it's cancellation: Nathan vainly uses Sylar's mindwiped body as his new vessel
  5. Heroes Reborn was failed revival of the show

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
  1. Season 1 was really good
  2. Season 2 was still good
  3. Season 3(first half) is where Fanon discontinuity kicked in at the part where Hiro about to be offered to become a villain(due to karmic nature of Arthur Petrelli powerdrains Hiro Nakamura scene) and the second half of Season 3 has Emile Danko
  4. Season 4 has something that leads to it's cancellation: Nathan vainly uses Sylar's mindwiped body as his new vessel
  5. Heroes Reborn was failed revival of the show
I remember season 3 was so bad that it was good and Robert Forster was a hoot.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
anyone here remember Heroes tv Series(2006-2010 one)?
Yes, I remember the show. Season 1 was really good, and I recall loving it a lot, and being genuinely enthusiastic about a lot of the plot elements. Then, like the real comics it's inspired by, it started to get really weird and convoluted with varying power levels and metaplots, as time went on. Last I recall watching was somewhere in...season 2 I guess? Around the time they did the whole time traveling to feudal Japan story, whenever that was.

I watched the reboot of Reborn for a handful of episodes, but it was just....not good.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yeah, I remember Heroes. I liked season 1 a lot. Tuned out by the end of season 2. Seems to be a common thread.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I hated that the Heroes always seemed to be fighting with the consequences of their existence rather than doing things like rescuing stuck cats from trees.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I hated that the Heroes always seemed to be fighting with the consequences of their existence rather than doing things like rescuing stuck cats from trees.
Yeah superhero stories, seem to have a big problem with scale of threat. They seem to operate under the premise that if the threat isn't global, it's not actually dramatic or worthy of notice. Which I find odd given how many classic action films, have the scale being WAY smaller. Like the first Die Hard film. One of the greatest examples of excellent storytelling through action...and there's what, maybe 100 or so lives on the line, if even that many? Hell it's not even a single CITY at risk. It's just a multitude of people.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yeah superhero stories, seem to have a big problem with scale of threat. They seem to operate under the premise that if the threat isn't global, it's not actually dramatic or worthy of notice. Which I find odd given how many classic action films, have the scale being WAY smaller. Like the first Die Hard film. One of the greatest examples of excellent storytelling through action...and there's what, maybe 100 or so lives on the line, if even that many? Hell it's not even a single CITY at risk. It's just a multitude of people.
You could start a whole thread on this topic. I loved, for instance, 2012's "Dredd". Like Die Hard, it takes place in one building regarding a crime investigation. On the other hand, Fanfourstick the entire world is a stake in the last 15 minutes of their 1st (and hopefully only) movie. Where do you go from here?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
You could start a whole thread on this topic. I loved, for instance, 2012's "Dredd". Like Die Hard, it takes place in one building regarding a crime investigation. On the other hand, Fanfourstick the entire world is a stake in the last 15 minutes of their 1st (and hopefully only) movie. Where do you go from here?
Another planetary threat, or upgrade to galactic/universal threat. If you're lucky, you will get something like Winter Soldier, or Civil War, which were, by design, meant to be smaller scale. WS was a city sized threat at minimum, national threat at most, though it could be argued that Hydra would've then of course do what all evil organizations do, pull a Pinky and the Brain, and TRY AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!

I think the problem is that, a lot of current writers, don't bother with spending time making us care about the people being threatened, so they just go for body count. But, the drawback, is that when you make the people in peril, literally a faceless mass, I'm less emotionally invested in them. I mean I don't even know their names, or anything about them. I hope they don't die sure, but frankly the larger the scale of victims, the MORE likely they are to survive. But a handful of people? Yeah you're probably going to kill off someone the audience likes.

I dunno, just, I mean big threats are fine, but most characters, in good stories, are motivated by more direct, personal stakes, and that's way more engaging for the audience. I don't care as much about the nameless party goers in Die Hard, because they're just extras. I do care about the pregnant lady they gave speaking lines to, and Holly Genero. Hell, I even care about that coked out business guy that got his head blown off. But if you make it "the entire European Union", well, ok that's bad, sure, but, I have nobody to latch onto as someone that I hope makes it through.

So yeah, I'd rather they narrowed the focus more, and made the stakes smaller, but more personal, and emotionally investing. And in some ways, the Japanese stuff like One Punch Man, and My Hero Academia do that. By making the heroes, literally everyday emergency response personnel, in the employ of the government, it's more, matter of fact in how things play out. And there are several story arcs, in both shows, that directly address the role of heroes, and why it's just as important to save one cat, or kid stuck in a tree. And I like that.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Barely. I watched the first season and never bothered after the fact. I know it got a lot of hype at the time.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Another planetary threat, or upgrade to galactic/universal threat. If you're lucky, you will get something like Winter Soldier, or Civil War, which were, by design, meant to be smaller scale. WS was a city sized threat at minimum, national threat at most, though it could be argued that Hydra would've then of course do what all evil organizations do, pull a Pinky and the Brain, and TRY AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!

I think the problem is that, a lot of current writers, don't bother with spending time making us care about the people being threatened, so they just go for body count. But, the drawback, is that when you make the people in peril, literally a faceless mass, I'm less emotionally invested in them. I mean I don't even know their names, or anything about them. I hope they don't die sure, but frankly the larger the scale of victims, the MORE likely they are to survive. But a handful of people? Yeah you're probably going to kill off someone the audience likes.

I dunno, just, I mean big threats are fine, but most characters, in good stories, are motivated by more direct, personal stakes, and that's way more engaging for the audience. I don't care as much about the nameless party goers in Die Hard, because they're just extras. I do care about the pregnant lady they gave speaking lines to, and Holly Genero. Hell, I even care about that coked out business guy that got his head blown off. But if you make it "the entire European Union", well, ok that's bad, sure, but, I have nobody to latch onto as someone that I hope makes it through.

So yeah, I'd rather they narrowed the focus more, and made the stakes smaller, but more personal, and emotionally investing. And in some ways, the Japanese stuff like One Punch Man, and My Hero Academia do that. By making the heroes, literally everyday emergency response personnel, in the employ of the government, it's more, matter of fact in how things play out. And there are several story arcs, in both shows, that directly address the role of heroes, and why it's just as important to save one cat, or kid stuck in a tree. And I like that.
A better understanding of the danger helps in creating suspense too. Take for example, Matrix Revolutions. The bad robots move with such power and speed that I have no understanding of why the good guys are alive outside of it being in the script. Vs. "Witness". Harrison Ford has a 6 shooter with bullets that had been stored with some flour. He is up against 3 trained, ruthless cops with shotguns. His survival isn't just in the script. He can do it but he is up against the odds.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I watched the first two seasons but kinda just lost track of it. The writer's strike happened and I heard a lot of bad shit about later seasons so I kinda just moved on and stopped caring.

I definitely enjoyed what I watched though.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was too busy wasting my time discussing LOST theories to watch anything else.
Lost I hated even more, and I stopped watching after the first four episodes. Because I had a feeling it was going to get really stupid. Glad I opted out of that.

Last edited:

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
Lost I hated even more, and I stopped watching after the first four episodes. Because I have feeling it was going to get really stupid. Glad I opted out of that.
even when I like Heroes better than lost, I have nothing against Lost