Hey Arnold: The Jungle Movie is playing now!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I forgot this movie is out now on Nickalodeon. I am watching it as we speak and I feel right at home, its like nothing has changed in this show.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ok this is getting too weird. Even for Hey Arnold this feels too much, I vastly underestimated that this is the "Jungle" Movie.

And this movie isn't pulling any punches, I mean actual charcater deaths happen here.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ok I am gonna say it, I think the parents should have been revealed to be long dead, I know it may sound utterly sad, but Arnold would have learned to accept it and moved on, to grow up and make his own family (and hey at the very least he would find out his parents died heroically so at least Arnold will feel proud of his mom and dad and that they will always love him) but no, apperently they were in a sleeping Coma, for NINE YEARS, and these tribals somehow have the capability to preserve their bodies all clean and neat as if nothing has changed and now Arnold Cured them from their Sleeping Coma, all I gotta say is Arnold and his parents have a LOT of catching up to do

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I mean, its a movie where the idea was a school taking a bunch of 4th graders, like, 9 or 10 year olds, into the MIDDLE OF A JUNGLE!

Hey Arnold may have often touched on weird, but I mean...

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Wait what?!?! Goddamn it there were no commercials for this! (then again, I don't watch Nickelodeon much anymore, thanks to the dragging out of cartoons and over-shilling of tween sitcoms.) Thank goodness for secondary channels...

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Ok, having finally seen it... yeah, it was pretty awesome! It?s been over 11 years since the last episode aired, and it?s nice to finally get some closure, something the cartoon channels seem to have forgotten. Nowadays all they seem to care about is removing good shows or stretching them out for too long or creating subpar reboots or pandering to the tween demographic... yes I?m m very bitter.

As for the above spoiler... while I understand the sentiment, I kinda prefer what we got. What can I say? I?m a sucker for happy endings.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
CrazyGirl17 said:
Ok, having finally seen it... yeah, it was pretty awesome! It?s been over 11 years since the last episode aired, and it?s nice to finally get some closure, something the cartoon channels seem to have forgotten. Nowadays all they seem to care about is removing good shows or stretching them out for too long or creating subpar reboots or pandering to the tween demographic... yes I?m m very bitter.

As for the above spoiler... while I understand the sentiment, I kinda prefer what we got. What can I say? I?m a sucker for happy endings.
The thing is if you have to bring the parents back to life, then you cannot just end it there, Arnold was finally reunited with his mother and father, but you must continue exploring that because these characters deserve to have more screentime and chemistry with each other, I feel this movie should lead to a new season of Hey Arnold where he now reconnects with his parents. But I don't think there will be a new series of episodes for Hey Arnold, I just think the parents being dead and Arnold now moving on would be a more fitting conclusion to the whole series rather than just leave it off with them being alive and the end.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Just saw it. It was a good send off, but I do see what Samtemdo8 means.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
The thing is if you have to bring the parents back to life, then you cannot just end it there, Arnold was finally reunited with his mother and father, but you must continue exploring that because these characters deserve to have more screentime and chemistry with each other, I feel this movie should lead to a new season of Hey Arnold where he now reconnects with his parents. But I don't think there will be a new series of episodes for Hey Arnold, I just think the parents being dead and Arnold now moving on would be a more fitting conclusion to the whole series rather than just leave it off with them being alive and the end.
Well, there was, apparently, going to be a post-time skip spinoff starring the Pataki family, so maybe it'll happen if they get that idea off the ground.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
It was made for TV, and honestly I don't know why people hated the original Hey Arnold movie because I thought it was ok.
I guess a lot of it was because that was a cheap, straight to TV or DVD film given a theatrical release (plus, if memory serves, it inverts some character development from the series). Originally, the Jungle Movie was meant to be the theatrical blockbuster (again, if memory serves).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
First thing, I clearly have forgotten some details about the show like I have no idea who Monkey Man is? Also the new voices were getting some used to despite not remembering it clearly.

Also the movie kinda had a Samurai Jack vibe to be well if only a little that they broke broundries with those henchmen death.

While the film did took some advantage of the modern day stuff althought I found it weird that the rich girl had a somehow modern day phone (well not too modern as it wasn't a touch screen) since I thought she would have semi brick phone. Still I had an idea what the original scripts was going to be like maybe Big Bob Beeper wasn't closing down and the henchmen didn't get killed off.

Honestly, having read dozen to the reunion scene. The ending we got was PERFECT!!! Seriously, people CRY when Arnold saw his parent awoken from the sleeping curse! I agreed with that decision to have an happy ending, I mena Arnold deserved it given to the many good deeds he has done throughout the series!

Lastly the cure thing didn't make sense to me. Ok so they had everything except to open the statue thing??? Even then it just took some gold to start the mechism???

Oh and with Helga and Arnold, I guess Helga is the first yandare!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I liked it. Thought it was a solid send off to a great show, and much better than Samurai Jack's send off. I kind of lean toward the parents being dead, but at the same time I'm happy that they were still alive.

Very shocked about what happened to the villains. Very, very shocked. I know Hey Arnold could go to some dark places, but wow...

Did anyone else think that maybe Helga's parents got divorced at the beginning, when her mom wasn't there but her dad was? It's clearly not a healthy marriage, so I thought that maybe they took the final step...

I liked that the rest of the kids weren't just sidelined for the rest of the movie. They took an active role in their fates, and that makes me happy.

I guess my two biggest complaint would both be about the ending.

1) How did everyone stay alive? Does The Sleeping Sickness make it so the body doesn't need to eat or be taken care of? And who raised all those kids? Because looking at them, they looked like they should have all been infants when this sickness hit.

2) The time skip. I'm glad my mom pointed it out to me--they spend the whole summer together--but it bothered me that we didn't get to see the shock, the tears, the reunion of this family that has been broken for over a decade. What about Grandma and Grandpa getting to see the parents again? What about hearing about Arnold's life, meeting his friends, and just getting back into society? I wanted to see that, but oh well.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Did anyone else think that maybe Helga's parents got divorced at the beginning, when her mom wasn't there but her dad was? It's clearly not a healthy marriage, so I thought that maybe they took the final step...
Well, if it's worth anything, apparently, a subplot in the proposed Pataki-centric spin off involves marriage counseling.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Sniper Team 4 said:
I liked it. Thought it was a solid send off to a great show, and much better than Samurai Jack's send off. I kind of lean toward the parents being dead, but at the same time I'm happy that they were still alive.

Very shocked about what happened to the villains. Very, very shocked. I know Hey Arnold could go to some dark places, but wow...

I liked that the rest of the kids weren't just sidelined for the rest of the movie. They took an active role in their fates, and that makes me happy.

I guess my two biggest complaint would both be about the ending.

1) How did everyone stay alive? Does The Sleeping Sickness make it so the body doesn't need to eat or be taken care of? And who raised all those kids? Because looking at them, they looked like they should have all been infants when this sickness hit.

2) The time skip. I'm glad my mom pointed it out to me--they spend the whole summer together--but it bothered me that we didn't get to see the shock, the tears, the reunion of this family that has been broken for over a decade. What about Grandma and Grandpa getting to see the parents again? What about hearing about Arnold's life, meeting his friends, and just getting back into society? I wanted to see that, but oh well.
That's the biggest problem I have with the parents being alive because they were in a Sleeping Coma for almost 10 years, and I doubt these Pseudo-Mesoamerican tribals would have the skills at body preservation. Than again I don't know if body preservation was a thing in Mesoamerican societies.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Oh and with Helga and Arnold, I guess Helga is the first yandare!
She's a Tsundere actually, but really high on the tsun tsun. A Yandere is someone who's so obsessed with their love that they'd murder for them.