Hey Canadian Escapists, is it all it's cracked up to be?

MistahFixIt

Mar 31, 2009
Misconceptions:

"WOOOO WE KICK UR ASS IN 1812!"

1. Canada was still a British Colony. So in essence, the British won the War of 1812, not 'Canadians'... at least not in the official capacity.

2. We did not 'burn the White House' to the ground. We set it on fire, and a large portion of it did burn to the ground, but a large majority of the building remained standing.

"Milk comes in bags."

Only in Ontario, to the best of my knowledge. Everywhere else its in jugs or cardboard cartons.

"Tuition in Canada is stupid cheap."

This one's actually true, insofar as I've seen. My college expenses this year has worked out to just under $2,000. That's tuition, material fees, books, and... well I didn't need to pay for housing or meal plans.

MahBoii

Nov 10, 2011
Regnes said:
Canada kicks some serious ass, but we've been falling behind a lot lately, mostly because our prime minister is an incompetent swine who's sole strategy is to either ignore any issue he doesn't like, or to abuse and exploit the system to carry out his personal agendas.

http://shitharperdid.ca/

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

But yeah, our government is lousy, but we've got some really awesomely nice people, and the scenery is to die for, especially if you're in British Columbia.
The worst part about Harper is that he seems to be pretty much the unseatable emperor of Canada at the moment. The liberal party has no strong opposition (partly because Harper focuses more on finding ways to further bankrupt the liberal party than on fixing our eceonomy) and Jack Layton is now gone, and he was the cornerstone of the strength of the NDP party. Although I am unsatisfied with any of our political parties to be honest. We're in for a lot of dumbassery in the near future with regard to our government. Although i mostly follow american politics, I'm comparatively uninformed about Canadian government goings-on.

OT: yeah, it's not bad up here. At least as a Canadian I know my government is not directly responsible for most of the world's problems atm.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
lotr rocks 0 said:
I don't know much about where would be good to learn computer science, just want to point out that you shouldn't rule out quebec necessarily because of french. In montreal at least, I think there's a strong english community, and McGill University, one of the best in Canada, is in Montreal and I think it's mostly english.
Ah, alright. I thought a big majority of Quebec/Montreal spoke only French.

(Sorry if this counts as Thread Necromancy, that is not my intention)

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
keneth231742 said:
zHellas said:
Gmans uncle said:
craftomega said:
cheaper education (It costs me 6k a year to go to a Large Univercity, and that is including books.)
That sounds REALLY good to me, I plan on going to collage, but I didn't think I would be able to afford going to anywhere fancy because of my crap ACT scores, anyone know exactly how you obtain a student's visa in Canada?
I would also like to know this, though I have apparently good SAT scores.

for most universities in Alberta and BC at least they do not care about you SAT or spesific test scores all you need is good grades and your set.
Sweet.

Mostly B's & A's, with a few C's and one F (only by one point, and was just an Art class).

(Again, not intentional Thread Necromancy.)

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Empty2011wpg said:
Dress warm... don't say eh every sentence that's not how we speak lol :p
Don't goto Winnipeg unless you like ugly citys with high crime lol
I would have said Hamilton or Windsor. But then I've never been to Winnipeg.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
I live in Canada and it's like being in a retirement home. Canadians love people in authority such as the police, and have an almost fanatical devotion to rules and by-laws; something they have absolutely no sense of humour about. There is a lot of truth in the old joke:

- How do you get 300 drunk Canadians out of the swimming pool?"
- Say "Please will you get out of the pool"

The government also runs gambling and booze (well in BC anyway) - amazing! Still, it's not really that surprising - just like the septics, puritanism rules is the day.

(and, btw, hate speech being illegal is really not a good thing)

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
zHellas said:
lotr rocks 0 said:
I don't know much about where would be good to learn computer science, just want to point out that you shouldn't rule out quebec necessarily because of french. In montreal at least, I think there's a strong english community, and McGill University, one of the best in Canada, is in Montreal and I think it's mostly english.
Ah, alright. I thought a big majority of Quebec/Montreal spoke only French.

(Sorry if this counts as Thread Necromancy, that is not my intention)

The thing to remember is that Canada is Bilingual. This means that everyone has to learn both English and French at least through grades 1-8. So even in major areas of Quebec people should have some understanding of French. Then in major areas like Montreal or the City of Quebec, thats the capital of the province of Quebec, there is a large mix of both English and french speakers so many signs have both English and french and the stores should have both. Also living in a language is one of the best ways to learn it as you learn how it is really said. Much of the French that you someone would learn in school is not the way people talk and you would probably me laughed at for talking school french.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
Not to burst your bubble, but isn't moving to a new country kind of a pain in the ass? As in, if you even want to be considered you need some pretty good skills and reasons for why they should accept you to their country. It's not about what you want, it's about if they want you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp
That's for citizenship, its much easier to become a permanent resident. He could get the skills he would want in Canada without having to become a citizen. I would even say it would be cheaper to do so in Canada since the highly centralised, subsidised universities of Canada are probably more efficient than the scatterred and numerous universities of the U.S., even though out of province/country students don't get subsidies.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Gmans uncle said:
Is this a good time to mention that I'm a Bisexual male with a strong male preference?

Speaking of which, how's the LGBT community doing in Canada? Is it better up there or is there just as much homophobia as there is down here?
Move to Toronto