Hey you! Dumbass! Tell us about your gaming idiocy.

CyanideSandwich

Aug 5, 2010
Basically every God of War puzzle. I guess I don't go into a God of War game with a puzzle-solving mindset or something, but I rarely can figure those things out without quite a bit of trouble (and sometimes help from a walkthrough [small]ssshhh[/small])

Oh, and in GTA IV it took me a while to figure out that you can whistle for the taxis. I often play as a law-abiding citizen, so when I went to go get a taxi, I'd just sprint after it like an idiot.

Shadow flame master said:
Denamic said:
My weapon is lacking a single round of its 32 round magazine. I must reload.

Does not help when playing Anarchy Mechromancer in Borderlands 2.
I'm the same way in other shooters. "Look at me with my LMG full of 300 rounds, I can take on any mutha' fuka' here an- wait, does my ammo count say I have 299/300 rounds? COVER ME I'M RELOADING!!!!!!!" *dies*
This right here, as well. The very reason why I NEVER use LMGs. I liked in Sabateur that it catered for people like us by reloading automatically if you stop shooting for more than a second or two.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
You know the tutorial boss battle in Dark Souls? Yeah, didn't know I could escape, so I spent the first hour of the game trying to take that monster down with a sword hilt. I should've known better, given Demon's Souls first boss battle. Then again, it was my own arrogance that caused me to do that. After all, the first thing I said when I realized it was a tutorial section was, "Pft, please. I played Demon's Souls already, I know the controls," and proceeded to ignore the little orange hints until I was ripping my hair out.

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
It took me about 40 hours of gameplay to realize that I could continually drink water in Fallout 3. All that frustration for nothing!

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
Hey it works more often than not. Someone pointed out I subconsciously play nothing but all the manly characters. Pantheon, Hecarim, J4, Ezreal and so on
Needs more Taric. Only the manliest of men wear fabulous shades of pink. :D

Admittedly, Dark Souls lays claim to one of my dumbest moments. I got the game when it came out. Pre-ordered it and got the Collector's Edition. I recently started up a Faith oriented character so I can finally get that miracle trophy(it's the only one I need for the platinum). I went and challenged the Greatsword Black Knight atop the tower(because I can normally kick his ass no problem), forgetting I was a lowly Cleric with minimal equipment.

He wrecked my shit and I went to retreat. I made it back to the bonfire and sat right the hell down to reset him. Only for the Black Knight to promptly kick my ass.

...Yeah, turns out that Black Knights can and will ignore bonfires, entirely. Being that this was the first time I'd ever fled from a Black Knight, I had no idea and damn did I feel stupid. Oh well. Year and a half later and I'm still learning things. :D

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
My recent dumbass moments are in Dark Souls. Every single moment in Sen's Fortress.

Rolling Balls: dodge roll off cliff
Snake mages: Block then hit by pendulum off the walk way.
Floor Traps: Always forget they were their.
Open a cage: accidental roll off cliff
Giant (any of them): stepped on and then off a cliff.
Tower Knight: Burned to death
Thinking I can take on a Titanite demon after dropping down: Falls to death

I never learn in this area.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
GamerMage said:
Tropicaz said:
Nowhere Man said:
Skyrim. How many dungeons have I been in where I get to a locked door and I go fumbling around the room for minutes on end only to realize there was a lever subtly placed right next to the damn thing.
I did this loads.

Also in Portal 2 there were many times I felt like an utter idiot when I worked out how very basic the solution to the area I spent 45 minutes on was.
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. It was the Queen boss,I was struggling to damage it,wondering why my attacks weren't doing much,only to discover I had to damage the arms first. /facepalm
Never managed to finish that damn game. Got stuck on what I believe was the final boss. Though surely you've played enough games now to realise that you've got to remove the enemy's offensive capabilities before wading in and doing your own damage. Or maybe I'm just a sick bastard who likes doing the video-game equivalent of ripping off a butterfly's wings and legs before stamping on it. I dunno.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I just remembered another instance of my stupidity.

It was in Metal Arms: Glitch in the System.

It was the level in the spy factory, and I had to search in all of these lockers for a chip. The trick was, I had to go to the center of the room every now and then because of this scientist Mil who comes and inspects me every so often, thinking I was one of the spies built in the factory. Unfortunately, I got caught every time. At the time, I thought I had to stand in a VERY specific way on the outlines for my feet. I even went so far as to try to take pictures of my position before I started to move around in an attempt to figure out where I was supposed to stand.

I gave up after a while and didn't play the game again for a few years. I then restarted the game and got up to that point again. This time, I decided to open just one locker and go back into position. I was expecting the scientist to catch me like before, but instead, he goes over to the open locker and closes it, wondering why it was open, and then he left the room again.

That's when it hit me: I was supposed to CLOSE the lockers after I searched them.

Why am I an idiot?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Knights Of The Old Republic

ok this is embarrasing

when we have to sneak food smells and a grenade into a pile of rubbish so the rancor would eat it and the grenade so he would die. for somereason i couldnt figure out how to do it (i was young and stupid... and i dont know how i could have possibly been that stupid) so what i ended up doing was running out and shooting it, then running into the tunnel where it couldnt get me, then running out and shooting it again etc

took me like 10 minutes

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
ALL TIME: I accidentally rooted myself while quad-kiting hill giants in Everquest. I'd been nicked by a blow, and the regeneration symbol and the root symbol were identical. That was a painful, painful error.

MOST RECENT: Last night I was in a 0-0 tie in NHL 13, going into overtime. I stripped the puck off one of their forwards and carried it back into my own zone, intending to cut across my net and send it up the wing. Instead I scythed in front of my net and neatly tucked the puck behind my goaltender. I literally face-palmed.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Lost Odyssey... I went through the game for almost 25 hours using the same characters assumming I wont need the others. Needless to say that I have yet to finish this amazing game.

Steamtech

Oct 5, 2010
My first play through of KOTOR 2, I never used the smuggler companion (name escapes me at the moment). I never equipped him, never leveled him, never paid him a second thought. So, near the end of the game, when you have a solo fight with him against a pair of assassins... yeah that went real well for the first 5 autosave loads.

Sealpower

Jun 7, 2010
spartandude said:
Knights Of The Old Republic

ok this is embarrasing

when we have to sneak food smells and a grenade into a pile of rubbish so the rancor would eat it and the grenade so he would die. for somereason i couldnt figure out how to do it (i was young and stupid... and i dont know how i could have possibly been that stupid) so what i ended up doing was running out and shooting it, then running into the tunnel where it couldnt get me, then running out and shooting it again etc

took me like 10 minutes
Did that on my first run as well, but that was because I had sold or discarded all stealth field generators because I had never found any use for them

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
So I was playing Dark Souls, and I was experimenting with the controls and I soon exclaimed "HOLY CRAP, I CAN ACTUALLY JUMP USING THE SPRINT????!!!!"

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
lRookiel said:
Dandark said:
The Wykydtron said:
Someone pointed out I subconsciously play nothing but all the manly characters. Pantheon, Hecarim, J4, Ezreal and so on
THEY LIED TO YOU!

OT: Whenever I play a difficult to kill character in LoL and we are ahead enough for me to be confident in our win, I will stop caring. Zero ****s will be given, I will initiate as Swain by running at them screaming a battle cry and if I ever get to play Nunu.........You don't want me to play nunu...
*Stalks profile*

You are called Dan, I could have 2 dans on my team! yes!

DO IT DANDARK, DO IT!
I play on the LoL american server, feel free to send me a friend invite if you want and i'll probably join if you invite me to a game on league
LoL name is "Dandark6"

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Dandark said:
I play on the LoL american server, feel free to send me a friend invite if you want and i'll probably join if you invite me to a game on league
LoL name is "Dandark6"
The yank server.... You're making me cry here Dan.

snyperal

Jan 24, 2013
Once years ago when playing eve online with some buds from an FPS clan, we all went "mining" and i was offering protection in my trusty frigate... when the bad guys (npc....) turned up, i went for the engage but forgot i had my buddy locked up.. I skipped through all the warnings and promptly got concordokkened....

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
I never understood how people messed up so bad piloting the Mako in mass effect 1. I learned everything about it the first time I got in the vehicle. I heard some people didn't even know the thing had a freakn' cannon beyond the normal machine gun.

I think the only thing that ever really bonked me was sprinting in Skyrim on the PC verison. Never knew I Could, any reference to it didn't tell me how to sprint either. The instruction manual doesn't even have a key layout if I recall. By the time I learned this I already clocked above 100 hours play time.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
Tom_green_day said:
Mass Effect 1. The Mako can fly? WHY DID NO-BODY TELL ME? All those times I got stuck and could get out :'(
The Mako can fly?! Oh my god now i feel like an utter idiot for not knowing >.<

My stupid gaming moments seem to happen when i find myself in a new room and can't find the way to advance, running around the room for half an hour before figuring out it was back the way i came.

There was also the time i managed to get stepped on by a Scarab while in a Hornet during the Halo 3 Campaign....Don't ask how i managed that....

Yarkaz

Aug 22, 2009
Drop_D-Bombshell said:
Tom_green_day said:
Mass Effect 1. The Mako can fly? WHY DID NO-BODY TELL ME? All those times I got stuck and could get out :'(
The Mako can fly?! Oh my god now i feel like an utter idiot for not knowing >.<

My stupid gaming moments seem to happen when i find myself in a new room and can't find the way to advance, running around the room for half an hour before figuring out it was back the way i came.

There was also the time i managed to get stepped on by a Scarab while in a Hornet during the Halo 3 Campaign....Don't ask how i managed that....
Nope. Sorry. I absolutely need to know how you did that. Sounds like good times!

Anyone remember that mossy dragon thing in the middle of FF12, in the middle of the forest bit? The one that releases a bunch of spores which infect your whole party with like, 4 random status issues each or whatever? I played that game about five years ago, wasn't too strategically savvy back then, so my strategy for boss fights was "use strongest characters to hit as hard as possible in the beginning of the fight.

Each time I tried, my three best characters dealt a small chunk of damage to the boss and were all promptly disabled with a plethora of status problems.

Eventually I decided to cast berserk on Vaan and Basch and send them at the thing, dealing even more damage! First thing it does is confuse them both. They murder my healer (Penelo) so I send Ashe in to cast a spell and get rid of those stat- NOPE. Also murdered.

It took me a good long while to realize that creating a balanced group was the way to go, and that leaving my healer out of the fight until after the status spores hit was a good idea. The fight was still freakishly hard, but I eventually beat it this way.