Hidden gems for the PS4 (no FPS games please)

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at getting a new PS4 game and I've played most of the obvious titles now. I would like some cool lesser-known games that are brilliant.

As it says in the title, I'm not a fan of First Person Shooters (or shooters more broadly). If there is a good mix of other types of gameplay in there, it's fine, but games where you mainly shoot are not really my thing. I don't really play sports games either.

Any other recommendations would be good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
These are futuristic racers. Those are really good.You technically get three games with Wipeout Omega collection. Wipeout even has VR support added as an update if you have it.

Wipeout Omega collection
RedOut

For 2D and 3D brawlers.

Transformers Devastation
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos
Dragon's Crown
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae
Odin Sphere
God of War 4
Devil May Cry 5

Evil Within 1&2. Especially the second game. If you like over-the-shoulder survival horror, it's one of the best ones of this generation.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
-Shadow Tactics - isometric stealth game and the same devs are releasing their new game Deserados 3 this June
-Invisible Inc. - turned based stealth rogue like
-Abzu - just beautiful underwater game
-The Sexy Brutale - murder mystery Groundhog Day type game
-Forgotton Anne - really great artstyle and great premise, doesn't quite live up to its potential

Just about everything is on every platform nowadays so you have all the indie PC games on PS4 from the Divinity games to Civ6 to Cities Skylines to Return of the Obra Dinn to Outer Wilds. You can kinda just browse Steam's store to find interesting games and chances are it's probably on PS4.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is my go-to pick for recommending anything "hidden" anywhere you can get it.
For PS4 exclusives Sound Shapes. It's a platformer/rhythm game, super minimalistic and deceptively simple in its presentation, but one of the most original/surprising games I remember going in blind.
I guess Gravity Rush Remastered. The second one is a mixed bag, it's basically more of what you like and don't like from the first one, amplified in scale by virtue of being a native home console game instead of a mobile port. It also cranks the anime factor to 1000%, which I don't personally care for.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The most generally overlooked one I have recently is Outward.

Which is something of a very niche style of RPG, kind of inline with the Gothic type stuff. But overall much better done and quality then your typical "eurojank" as the term goes (I think its actually in the current Hidden Gems sale too).

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception/Truth duology is incredible. It's a mix of Srpg like final fantasy tactics/fire emblem and a visual novel (heavy on the visual novel) with incredible artwork and an epic heart-wrenching story set in a world inspired by primitive Ainu native Japanese folklore mixed with science fiction. Also every person outside of the protagonist has some type of animal ears and tail!

Story is more of a typical feudal warring states type of theme with a lot of fantasy dropped in there. This one is inspired by the mainland china wars and dynasties.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
For games that no one seems to know about, I would recommend Yoku's Island Express to you. Bright, colourful pinball based Metroidvania do anything for you.

Also, they are re-releases but I would also say you should pick up de Blob and de Blob 2. Basically a video game colouring book platformer. Looks like a kids game but the difficulty does get quite hard after a few levels.

Oh and for a quick indie game, I'd recommend Burly Men at Sea, quite funny and will only take you a couple of hours to see everything. But well worth your time.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Some good recommendations here everyone. I've looked into some of them and they all look interesting. I'm leaning toward Gravity Rush or Odin Sphere Leifthrasir at the moment but they all look good so still deciding.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Try Apotheon. I know its not PS4 exclusive, but its a gorgeous ancient Greek themed side scroller platformer. The art style makes it look like everything is on ancient Greek pottery. It really is great.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
There's a sale on the store at the moment literally titled "hidden gems"!

Though I'd take the title with a recommended daily dose of pinched salt when they've got Destiny friggin 2 in there. The most overpromoted pile of ambient meh ever conjured.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

Though I'd take the title with a recommended daily dose of pinched salt when they've got Destiny friggin 2 in there. The most overpromoted pile of ambient meh ever conjured.
In Destiny 2's case I think hidden and gem are both wrong. Sealed away pile of shit would work better.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Yeah I saw it but I'd really rather get recommends from gamers than Sony.