Hide Your Wallets - The Steam Summer Sale Kicks Off Tomorrow

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Hide Your Wallets - The Steam Summer Sale Kicks Off Tomorrow

The Steam Summer Sale kicks off tomorrow, and the date was confirmed by PayPal yet again.

It seems like every year, we get our final confirmation of the Steam Summer Sale dates from PayPal, and 2017 is no exception. This year, it's PayPal UK tweeting the confirmation:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/PayPalUK/status/877209458643845120]

That is a nice deal for UK folks, but there's been no announcement of a corresponding deal for US customers. THe most important thing here is that the Steam Sale is definitely starting tomorrow.

The sale kicks off at 1 PM ET tomorrow, June 22, and runs through July 5. I'd expect that Valve will have some sort of promotion or game running throughout to keep our interest, but I doubt they've taken my suggestions from earlier this year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/17371-Dear-Valve-Please-Fix-Steam-in-2017] to heart.

Good luck keeping your wallet solvent this year!

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Been hearing that TrackMania United Forever Star Edition is going to be something like half off during this event. Anyone know for sure?

I know, I know, I'm late getting on the TrackMania train. But TMUF is a damn sight cheaper than all the variants of TM2 when you put them all together, and I get just about as many environments PLUS the ability to play levels from TM Sunrise and the original TM.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Whelps, time to trim the wishlist a bit. I pretty much stopped buying game at release on steam nowadays and just add everything to the wishlist to be cleared every sales.

ZeroPunRocks

Jul 6, 2014
Eh. There are only a few games I want to get and I have those in my wishlist. Everything else is a pass

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
FUCK.

My wallet is gonna get decimated her, especially if my Wishlist goes on sale, much less some of the stuff I might want on incident.

EDIT: That to buy list includes (from Top to Bottom in my Wislist);

XCOM 2
Civilization VI
Tales of Berseria
Tales of Zestiria
NieR: Automata
Far Cry 4
NekoPara V1
Black Mesa
PU: Battlegrounds
Hyper Dimension Neptunia U
Divinity Original Sin 2
Divinity Original Sin
Haydee
The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
Space Hulk: Deathwing
The Technomancer
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
My computer's going through a rough patch at the moment so I doubt I'll buy anything this time.

Feb 7, 2016
I get less and less excited for this every year.
It might have a lot to do with the fact that I own most of the big ticket games that go on sale every year. And the fact that anything new really doesn't get discounted enough for me to care.

And everything else is pretty much trash.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Excellent! I finally took the effort of selling 4 years worth of those stupid Steam cards. Over 300 transactions later and I'm sitting here with a cool ?27 worth of Steam credit. And I got some sweet little indie titles on my wishlist that I hope will be cheap enough that I can get like three or four of them. Free games fuck yeah!

Hopefully Dead Cells and Ori go on sale at least. Those would be nice to have.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Well, let's see if there is anything worth actually buying for me - which I somehow doubt as I got most of the games already that I want and those on my Wishlist are probably not going to be on a steep enough sale for me to bother.

Paragon Fury said:

XCOM 2
Well, that was on a daily deal like three or four days ago. Maybe you should have bought it back then already. :p

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Gonna skip on the Steam Summer sales.

Amnesia Collection and Mother Russia Bleeds for the ps4 can be gotten for 26 euro's in total. And might keep it at that unless Call of Duty 2 goes half price.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
FUCK.

Tales of Zestiria
The Technomancer
Of your wishlist, I suggest you think hard about paying any kind of money on these two.

I'm certainly still bitter from my experience with both those games, so take my complaints as you will. Zestria's "Fusion" system is how the game expects you to improve your characters, which means hours of grinding monsters for equip drops and slamming them together randomly until things work or you actually understand how these 20 signs react to each other on this 6x6 grid. I put in maybe 12-16 hours into the game and suddenly my level 20 something party gets annihilated by some level 40 story boss that MUST be killed. So unless you understand the system, and put in the grind, just put the game on easy and maybe it wont be garbage. The Technomancer was just bad, as well. Combat was stiff and enemies take like 10 hits to kill while you take 3, are frequently out numbered, damage was super easy to take, and you max health will NEVER be higher than 200, when you start with 100.

I was deeply disappointed by both those games and regret buying them, so I hope you know enough about the games already to have them on your wishlist. Otherwise, I seriously suggest looking into how Zestria's fusion system is intended to be used, cause that is the only way you will progress in the game as levels mean nothing, and look into the first couple hours of the Technomancer, cause I barely beat the first boss before I was just done with the game.

To be on topic of the sale though, I wonder how disappointing this sale will be, because ever since the loss of those super discounts, the sales have all been pretty mediocre, and with steam wanting to get rid of cards, what kind of events can we even expect in the future? I got nothing super important in my wishlist, so I'm not too worried about my wallet.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I hope Night in the Woods, Zero Escape, or Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator is on sale.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
Far Cry 4
You don't want Far Cry 4. Get Far Cry 3 for Ziggy's Mod or Far Cry 2 instead. Or, hell, even the first Far Cry. Or the first Crysis as well. (original or Warhead) Or just skip it altogether if you already have and/or don't want any of those. lol

Here's my list. Been waiting to clear it out for a very long time but all I've been getting for some of these games is 33% off which, unless the game is very new, is not worth my money.

In rough order of desire:
EVERSPACE
Day of Infamy
Obduction
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 4.1 The Shadow of New Despair
Rune Classic
Starbound
Riven

Can't run these quite yet but I still want them:
Doom 4
Just Cause 3

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know why people make a big deal out of Steam Sales. If there's nothing I'm interested in I'm not going to buy it just because it's on sale. Besides I'm unemployed right now so I'm not going to be buying much.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Holy shit, these deals are fucking lame AGAIN. 50% off used to be the minimum and now it's only 20-50% instead.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Canadamus Prime said:
I don't know why people make a big deal out of Steam Sales. If there's nothing I'm interested in I'm not going to buy it just because it's on sale. Besides I'm unemployed right now so I'm not going to be buying much.
Its called your wishlist.

Its not about buying any game on sale, its about buying the games you wanted for months at a much cheaper price.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Saelune said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Its called your wishlist.

Its not about buying any game on sale, its about buying the games you wanted for months at a much cheaper price.
My Wishlist isn't very long and that doesn't change the fact that I'm unemployed right now so even if a game is on sale it's probably not a good idea for me to spend money on it.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I wasn't going to be too interested until...

Romance of the 3 kingdoms+puk was on sale. Yeah not by a massive much but if you know anything about the series, you'd know that it being available in english, with the PUK, is exceptional enough as it is, finally seeing a sale on it was something to jump on.
So bam, thats 40 quid gone already.

Yeah not gonna be tempted by anything else.. Wait Dead by Daylight? That always seemed up my alley!
Bam another 15 quid gone, 55 already.

Otherwise was contemplating Earth Defence force but i think i can wait for a better sale on that.

Ok that's it, i'm done! Wait my friends want me to get borderlands presequel for when we finish BL2.. Fuuuu!

And that's the amazing story of how i spent 64 quid on first day of sale despite thinking i was all good this year.