Hideo Kojima and Women

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
Im not sure what to say. But maybe he has a fetish for beautiful sexy women who get abused. Wait. . . ewww eww EWWW! I really dont want to think about what hes thinking alone in bed all night. Off that note, I did send you a message hoping you best on your trip so you cant say no one asked. :D

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So let me get this straight, in Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker in the middle of, what I presume, is a serious cutscene, you get a magic prompt to strip the female characters and ogle them?
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd never be able to take the game seriously after seeing something like that.

Anyway so Yahtzee, I guess we can look forward to your review of Kane and Lynch 2 on Wednesday?

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
So let me get this straight, in Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker in the middle of, what I presume, is a serious cutscene, you get a magic prompt to strip the female characters and ogle them?
No, you get to strip a 14 year old girl to her underwear for no F'in reason. I thought they did it to show scars on her (being tortured and kept prisoner) but i restart the game and there's nothing to see. And I play the game with a connector to a 32'' Flat screen HD TV. There's no way i could have miss them even if i wanted to.

Amerikhan

Sep 2, 2010
I actually, sadly, haven't enjoyed MGS since the first for PC. I bought 3 for PS2 and really didn't like it.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Zer0Saber said:
Did anyone listen to the tape of the lesbian lotion rubdown in Peace Walker? That's not a joke, that's in the game.
I heard how Strangelove gave bath to That bird chick every so often, and how she was so gentle.

Kogashi

Sep 11, 2008
Personally I disagree with the idea that Kojima has anything 'wrong' between him and weapon. Simply because he includes women as enemies in some games, or 70% naked through out most of the game, or heaven forbid have some kind of social comment on what has happened to civilians through out the world because of wars does not, in my view, mean he has any issues with women...

I cannot speak for the zoom-in feature nor the dating sequence for I haven't played Peace Walker. However, I found it impressive that he would even have female bosses between metal gear 1-3. True while Sniper Wolf's main point could be seen as to die, or make us worry about the girl following us around, her death was also use to feel for Otacon, to for just a second, give the sense that he had balls and though about more than Just anime and giant robots.

As for Fortune... Well... in general 2 was a bit odd so I didn't give the bosses in 2 any thought as in to what they were actually there for aside from being a kind of terrorist group... Though I really don't see a problem with Snake/Raiden finding and using 'girly mags' to distract guards.

3... The whole thing is a lamp shading of most of those 'I'm a guy that women just seem to take their clothes off around me for no good reason' style spy movie, of course Eve's gonna have her jump suit zipped down to basically her crotch. As for The Joy and her baby issues, while I know I cannot fully explain what is trying to be said about sending a woman who was heavily pregnant, I do know that the scar she had from having the baby taken away was just suppose to be symbolic, since it's a snake... And you're snake... and the game's Snake Eater... and so on.

Finally what little I have played of 4, I really thought they was just trying to grip at her emotional heart strings in that, while we are fighting animal women gone insane, is the fact that they are insane because, big shocker, bad things happen to good people when wars break out. I'm sure that, while not becoming exactly this insane and well armed, how mentally, physically, and emotionally tortured these women were, and how crazy they turned are not that far off from how some real women ended up.

... course those are just my views I could be completely wrong and both I and Kojima have terrible, terrible issues with women who knows.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Akalistos said:
canadamus_prime said:
No, you get to strip a 14 year old girl to her underwear for no F'in reason. I thought they did it to show scars on her (being tortured and kept prisoner) but i restart the game and there's nothing to see. And I play the game with a connector to a 32'' Flat screen HD TV. There's no way i could have miss them even if i wanted to.
And the difference being... what?

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Sinclose said:
Uh huh. I read it first time around as well.
I still don't see what you're getting at. I never said Yahtzee despised Kojima, I said he despised his work. You made it sound as though I said Yahtzee despised Kojima, which I never inferred. Heck, he even said in this here article that it's a rare thing to have a creator in the games industry intimately attached to his franchise, so it'd be a pretty stupid thing to say.

I never said anything that would warrant the statement you made in the 1st place :-/
You're being pedantic, and in the process missing the point entirely.

tl;dr: He never said he hated the man's work, only his atrocious writing. Kojima's work is more than his writing.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Iv never played a MGS game even though i knew Kojima was insane.

But i never knew he was THIS insane.

Wow......i doubt ill be getting Peace Walker just because i don't have the Cash for a PsP, and i don't think ill play any MGS game until i move out.

Axeli

Jun 16, 2004
Because I know someone has or will defend the Beauty&Beast bosses from MGS4 with some rambling about the mixture of their extreme emotional trauma and utter hotness is supposed to be a really creepy combination:

Bullshit.

The camera is glued on their asses (even while they fricking die), they act sexually (in a really corny sense) and they do so without any real creepiness thrown into it (I mean, okay they do still attack Snake like that... By hugging and fondling him. And they are not something that poses any real threat once the fight comes to that point).
But most of all, the goddamn easter eggs. Once you see those there's no way you can believe the developers took the characters so seriously they'd think the business at hand was so dark that it'd out-weight the fanservice.

Even if it was more than just a poor excuse, it failed horribly at whatever point it was trying to make. And if it indeed was trying to shame us for ogling at objectified women in the same manner the game occasionally does with violence, it was the most hypocritical message ever considering where it was coming from.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Plus, being English, I felt uncomfortable knowing I was probably related to someone who'd done a massacre there once.
Is that better or worse than being a Queenlander, and knowing that the last ansestor who visited might have done so to collect some slaves.
But I guess you're both huh?

[sup]Not from Queensland myself[/sup]

zombi2989

Fred-O
Oct 17, 2008
How stoked are you that Duke Nukem Forever is really happening and that you'll get a chance to review it for real?

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Well at least his attitude towards women is still better than Frank Miller, a man who has yet to realize that the word Woman and the word Whore are not interchangeable.

Playing Devil's advocate I will say that Kojima has frequently said that he sees the Metal Gear Solid series as his version of a James Bond story. And James Bond movies have never had the most progressive attitude towards their female characters.
In fact their cartoonishly lascivious femme fatales are one of the trademarks of the franchise.

On the other hand I'm not going to try to defend Kojima's sanity in any way, the man is completely off his nut.
If you decide that your Military adventure game needs Psychic Ghosts, Russian Pyromantic Cosmonauts and a crazy Bee Man you have clearly lost your mind.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Sinclose said:
Ah, so this is where we viewed things differently.
I said his work because although only his writing was mentioned, Yahtzee claimed dislike for the mechanics of the MGS franchise as a whole, although not necessarily within ZP. For example, he hated the emphasis on gunplay(that he disliked as well) in MGS4 despite this being an 'espionage adventure' and the last mission of Snake. His review of MGS4, as one example, mentions more than the writing as a negative factor. Granted I don't know what he thinks of Kojima's games outside MGS(have no idea if he even played them), but his dislike of Kojima's work expands to more than his writing.

I was being pretty broad when I said that, I'll admit. I merely believe he hates more than just the writing in Kojima's work. When his dislike expands to gameplay also I think it encompasses dislike of the breadth of Kojima's work, although I can see where you're coming from.

It's cool though, apologies for having missed the earlier point you were trying to get across. I admit I overflew it, and also could have done a better job of making a more specific statement ^_^
He did say he disliked MGS4 as a whole, particularly because it moved away from stealth and mostly into "bad action" terrain. But still, "wouldn't have been that bad if we actually got to PLAY the game" was the feeling I got from his MGS review.

From my point of view, Yahtzee seems to appreciate the earlier titles's gameplay. I admit I'm not the biggest MGS fan in the world, but the series seems to have moved further and further away from the "stealth" aspect and into "sneak around...long enough to kill everything!" mode.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Hmmmm, well the dilemma here is that the choice is down to you. Snake has always been shown to have love for the ladies, I guess you get some cutscenes in two views:

The 'actual' cutscene where we listen to Roy Campbell or Otacon or Liquid.
The actual cutscene which shows us where Snake's attention is really aimed.

You don't have to undress Paz, but you can if you want to delve into Big Boss' deeply hidden perversive thoughts.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Here's something weird you guys might not believe: Japan, the same country which damn near idolises rape, has the lowest rape rate in the world last time I checked. Seriously.

And I wonder what he will say about that scene in K&L2 where they run through the streets naked.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Good to hear you had fun.
So...any thoughts on the reappearance of Duke Nukem Forever?

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
So... you're going to completely overlook the incredibly controversial 600-comment clusterfuck of the last article to do with the term 'gamer'? I expected at least some sort of venerable defence against folks who disagreed with you for that article.

I did envy your holiday, though. The most i did was go to Norfolk - hooray. And i hope you lynch Kane & Lynch 2 tomorrow, i really do. I can't stand IPs that live long past their sell-by date, particularly incredibly shoddy ones that weren't even that popular to begin with and never deserved a sequel. I'd also like you to tear apart Army of Two 40th Day and Crackdown 2 when you get the chance. They also fill this criteria.