Hideo Kojima and Women

civver

May 15, 2009
ProtoChimp said:
Here's something weird you guys might not believe: Japan, the same country which damn near idolises rape, has the lowest rape rate in the world last time I checked. Seriously.
Who here's willing to bet a lot is unreported?

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Babitz said:
Kojima is a mediocre designer at best. Not to mention how much he "borrows" influence from others. After MGS1, everything went downhill.

Anyway, can't wait to see K&L2 raped by Yahtzee.
Yeah, see I'm not sure if a "spoiler warning" for that last bit might have been a happy warning, or the most redundant addition to a text since the long-forgotten eleventh commandment was written a couple of thousand years ago ("Thou shall not spoon"). Let's just say that I wasn't expecting him to call it a masterpiece.

ilion

Aug 20, 2009
I only liked the first one, and i dont think it went to much overboard in that one, but yeah sex sells. Kojima probably wanted to be born a girl or something, just see the amount of attention he gives to Raiden jezz.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Meh, Hideo seems to be just another designer in the still male-dominated industry of the gaming world. Seriously why does every game like that have to resort to sexually demeaning women? Yeah, we have boobs, so what? If you guys like them so much, why don't you get your own? I can guarantee that you'll get tired of them after the first few days. They aren't really that great, especially when you have kids. But oh well... there are just some things you can't beat out of a dead horse. Or in this case an entire industry of like-minded people.

I hope you enjoyed your holiday Yahtzee. :] Welcome back.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
So yes, I had a lovely holiday, not that anyone asked.
Of course I didn't. And I don't care. I want my weekly dose of shits and giggles.
And a Mafia 2 review.

Oh god it's gonna get bloody tomorrow with KL2...

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Hmmm, all I got from that is I need to youtube or google image some MGS: Peace Walker scenes, and I should enjoy Yahtzee tearing K&L2 a new asshole tomorrow....thanks Yahtzee, you're the best!=D

Zer0Saber said:
Did anyone listen to the tape of the lesbian lotion rubdown in Peace Walker? That's not a joke, that's in the game.
Oh thank you! I'll start with that first...=D

bawkbawkboo1

Nov 20, 2008
Christ, that's just the beginning of this particular rabbit hole. did you see the promotional shots for Peace Walker?

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/05/sexy-time-with-metal-gear-solid-peace-walker/

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
I think Kojima's gay. If not then he's just a typical dude who hides his fear of women through lame in-jokes, exploitation, and misogyny. But I really think he's gay. There's just too much.....stuff in his games. And everybody just plays it off as wacky Japanese humor. I don't think so, I think he's telling us something. Doesn't Snake hide in the closet a lot? 'Duh, those are lockers, duh' Same difference.

And Raiden, come on. Dude's gay. And don't forget Zone of Enders. The cockpit? FLLLAAAAAMING, HELLOOOOOOOOOO! Or not.....maybe I'm gay for thinking he's gay.

Shippy

Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
Apr 14, 2010
i would like to ease Yahtzee's conscience somewhat by pointing out that it's not that likely that his relatives ever directly massacre anyone.

just gave them syphilis.

rule britainia we will literally f**k you to death

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
The major thing I've noticed about Hideo Kojima's female characters is their propensity for talking. And talking. And talking. And talking some more. And then just when you think they've stopped talking and the cutscene is over, they talk some freaking more! Every single female character is a walking exposition dump. Well, I suppose all Kojima's characters are, but the women get stuck with it more often.

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
Axeli said:
Even if it was more than just a poor excuse, it failed horribly at whatever point it was trying to make. And if it indeed was trying to shame us for ogling at objectified women in the same manner the game occasionally does with violence, it was the most hypocritical message ever considering where it was coming from.
I'd like to see a game that actually does this (non-hypocritically). I doubt it will be a MGS game, though.

daftnoize

Aug 23, 2010
MGS1 was the first game I ever truely really LOVED so the series really has a fondness in my heart. But even i can admit MGS4 wasn't perfect... at all. However all the rubbish about the psp being the inferior handheld. Really? For someone who despises nintendo knockoff series rehashes so much. I don't want to do bloody maths on my console I want to play patapon, gitaroo man, Wipeout. You know games which run on a previous generation console they're still making games for it was so good. I love my psp and see no faults with it.

Looking forward to Kane get Lynched!

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Anybody remember Meryl from the first MGS? She was conditioned into losing her sexual attraction to men, but they never explain why they did this to her or why they didn't do it to anybody else. And she ends up falling in love with Snake anyway. I was weirded out.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
thetrue13th said:
So he hasn't got to the mission 'A date with Paz' yet...
I thought it was a bit weird, but there is one with Kaz as well. So it balances out. I least . . . I think it does.

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
At least he's not Itagaki. That dude is hopelessly crazy, as opposed to Kojima's relatively mild eccentricities.

Until we hear about Kojima sexually harassing any female (or male) interns, we can rest assured that Japan's game industry has worse people running it.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
While I agree that Kojima is completely insane (although, you have to be in order to be a genius), I don't think it's fair to compare him to George Lucas. At least Kojima's work didn't suck from the get go.

That said, it certainly does sound like Kojima has been treating the female characters worse with each new title....MGS 3 being considered a prime example.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
I assume then that MGS: Peace walker won't get a full review?

Hmm... Ok.

I personally would like to see you rip Kane and Lynch: The 4 hour Youtube video expansion pack 2

MeTheMe

Jun 13, 2008
Ah, sounds like a nice time was had on vaction, except for the PSP buisness.

Me, I've never completed a MG game, I got about half way through Solid before I had to return it, but it does sound like his perversions are leaking... flowing... flooding, into his game design. I've never had much of a problem with perversions, but putting them into your job, whish millions of people across the world will play? Bad form.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
From the mgs wiki:

During development of Metal Gear Solid 4, Hideo Kojima wanted the Beauty and the Beast Unit to be naked, though this would have severely affected the game's censorship rating. Yoji Shinkawa stated that the motion capture actors were asked to do the motion capture nude, though this could also not be used in the game.