Hideo Kojima and Women

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I can't f'ing wait for you to shit all over Kane & Lynch.

As for this topic -- is it really any different then how women are treated/depicted in almost every other video game?? It's got more of a weird Japanese spin on it, but that's to be expected. You are basically combining Kojima's noted insanity with the average hyper-sexualized depiction of chicks in video games. The result isn't very surprising to me.

Meryl was a strong admirable female character though... except for when she was pining over Snake like a schoolgirl and busy being helpless and needing rescue, and undergoing some kind of torturous pain.. oh wait.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Indignation837 said:
Hey now Yahtzee, that's not fair. I had every intention of asking how your vacation was in the comments - not that you'd reply - but you never gave me the chance. Anyway, I can't say I've ever played through an MGS game, but I'll take your word for it. We are also talking about the country that makes JRPGs after all, where 90% of female characters are shy and may as well have a tattoo on their forehead that reads "Please fall in love with me, main character".
do you like golden sun?

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Yay! Kane and Lynch 2! Maybe someone wll actually not say its awful.

OT: I laughted at the "Oh, it's medical" part.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This really is more of a "what's wrong with the industry" question, though I do wonder what is wrong with Kojima.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Akalistos said:
Zer0Saber said:
Did anyone listen to the tape of the lesbian lotion rubdown in Peace Walker? That's not a joke, that's in the game.
I heard how Strangelove gave bath to That bird chick every so often, and how she was so gentle.
I was taking about the recording that Paz makes about Strangelove giving her a topless rubdown, it's a bit detailed.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I wonder what would happen if a woman played one of these games...

Seriously, there is a fine line between extra bits of goodness and extra bits of pointlessness to express his insanity.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Glad you're back Yahtzee, and that your vaction was good. Also great artical, though I disagree with the oversexulaztion. I mean it is there clearly but Hideo oversexualise both men and women. Something you don't see often in games, if the writting were to clear up and the stealth go back to the mgs three days then I think we would have a even more solid series.

Bloodeye

Aug 25, 2009
Kane and Lynch 2? Nuts. I was hoping for a verbal mauling of Metroid: Other M/Metroid Prime retrospective.

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
I have to say i agree though. Even before Metal Gear Solid's popularity, games like Snatcher had things you wouldn't see in any other game.

I don't even like the Metal Gear Solid series past number 2, but you have to admit, they give alot of attention to detail, as well as completely different problem solving methods you wouldn't see in any other game.

Even if some of the problems you have to solve are completely over the top and insane.

docbox1567

Nov 10, 2009
MGS4 let you zoom in on a cutscene. I thought it was so creepy those times that when there was a woman on screen the camera would zoom in by itself. The fun of having the ability to zoom in makes you feel like a perv zooming in on someone's breasts. When the game does it for you then it makes me feel like I'm sitting next to an even bigger pervert. It aslo makes me think that all the female models were nude when they did their job. People really should be calling him out on being such a perv. It's really getting out of hand, unless you like that kind of thing.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
docbox1567 said:
I thought it was so creepy those times that when there was a woman on screen the camera would zoom in by itself. The fun of having the ability to zoom in makes you feel like a perv zooming in on someone's breasts. When the game does it for you then it makes me feel like I'm sitting next to an even bigger pervert.
That made me laugh. Thanks for that. And it sounds like the same kind of reaction I get when I see sex scenes in movies. I feel like I'm intruding on something I shouldn't and I'm not allowed the option of respecting privacy.

Numina Infuscata

Aug 24, 2010
And don't forget to then phone Otacon or Rose while you were "kissing" the pictures...
Then you got a rather disturbing Codec call =D

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
And some people wonder why A) most girls don't play video games, B) Girls get offended by video games, and C) gamers get (whether they deserve it or not) the reputation of being gigantic pervs while society judges. Yet unfortunately, games get a worse rap for being violent than they do for exploiting female bodies (and have the girls do a strip tease show). Well, they do that everywhere else in this culture anyway, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Then, guys complain about women having rights, being touchy, or being feminist.

As a woman I get that in the "clothes removing x-ray gaze" from men when I walk down the street, honestly Kojima I don't need to come home and find it in my recreational entertainment. But then again, you're a Japanese man. I should probably just find a crow bar, beat you over the head and call it a day.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Akalistos said:
canadamus_prime said:
So let me get this straight, in Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker in the middle of, what I presume, is a serious cutscene, you get a magic prompt to strip the female characters and ogle them?
No, you get to strip a 14 year old girl to her underwear for no F'in reason. I thought they did it to show scars on her (being tortured and kept prisoner) but i restart the game and there's nothing to see. And I play the game with a connector to a 32'' Flat screen HD TV. There's no way i could have miss them even if i wanted to.
And the difference being... what?
Pedophilia! Why the hell do you need that sequence in a game, really. As much as he Yahtzee says you can "zoom" through clothes, there's only 2 instance. Paz's Intro and Amanda's Fall from the Colibri(Hummingbird). The second is a stupid gimmick (stolen by the new MK), but show her fracture leg for story purpose (aka: removing her from it). There's another scene later where Cecile, a captured French ornithologist, escape and found Snake, in which you inspect her... but she at least half dress.

Paz is the only one treated that way and [HEADING=2]That's a major difference![/HEADING]

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Zer0Saber said:
Akalistos said:
Zer0Saber said:
Did anyone listen to the tape of the lesbian lotion rubdown in Peace Walker? That's not a joke, that's in the game.
I heard how Strangelove gave bath to That bird chick every so often, and how she was so gentle.
I was taking about the recording that Paz makes about Strangelove giving her a topless rubdown, it's a bit detailed.
I'm at the point where i got to get her back, but the base is alerted. Must be after... and I'm gonna get sick.

Edit: Also see Previous post... just above this one.