Hideo Kojima and Women

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
This article was hilarious.

MGS steadily went downhill for me as well; I enjoyed 1, liked 2, and that was it. I forced myself to play 3 like swallowing cough medicine, but it was awful and would just not end. And I lucked out and had a devoted roommate play 4 so I saw most of the cutscenes. 'Most' being 100 hrs or whatever.

I had noticed, though attributed to the action setting, the bias on women for some things in the series. Rose in MGS2 was somewhat of a crackhead too, though I guess that depends on whether you believe it was her towards the end or some AI version of her talking.

-Another thing that got me about the series was the believability. MGS1 had largely realistic stuff in it. MGS2 and onwards went way over the top, starting with Vamp. Who was so appealing they decided to reprise his role in 4. Awesome.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
MGS4: Naomi upskirt shot and beauty and beasts.
MGS:pW: x-ray pervert-o-vision.
MGS: rising: ????
Ehehe, MGS: Rising. 'Rising.'

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
I think it's important to remember that, while I even agree with you that this is creepy beyond my ability to appreciate it creativly, this is still vision unchained. We can't praise creative freedom, but then decide there's too much of it when somone creates something we don't care for.

That said... fucking japan seriously. A nation I have never been to that has had a profound influence on my youth, and simultaniously presents me with things that show me just how far the rabbit hole goes if you don't decide to stop crawling.

I haven't played a metal gear in a while. I enjoyed 2 but i could feal the creepy factor moving toward my threshold at the end. It was just enough for me to call it unique and enjoyable. But I felt a bit weary of the narrative by the end.

Togusa09

Apr 4, 2010
Go to hear you had a chance to relax.

I'd been guessing for a holiday you'd either lock yourself in a room with a few classics to play for a week, or get as far away from games and anyone who could recognise you.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Yeah this doesnt really surprise me at all. Its pretty much been like this always. But sometimes the japanese seem to take this to ridiculous heights. I mean just look at Naruto. Allright so maybe not so much in regards to sex, but more in regards to gender roles.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Right. I've been known to enjoy a bit of Japanese media, a few games and local cuisine and hell even one of their martial arts. So does this make me some kind of huge bastard?

Moving on, how exactly does one bring about social change that massive? We're talking about a complete shift of expected social roles.

There is one thing I'm reasonably sure of: the average Japanese man, goes to work with same concerns as you and I: "Will I still have a job in six months?", "Can I afford all my payments this month?" etc. They love their spouses, love their children, their parents and so on and so forth.

While I'm firmly of the opinion that anyone who tries to have a stab at sexual assault deserves to get their throat crushed 'neath your heel I'll no more condemn the Japanese as a whole for it than the common man on the street for all the sex crime that happens in Australia.

And looking forward to Kane and Lynch's curb stomping.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Those mech women sound like a satire of a staple of anime, obviously not something that'll fare well among people who don't watch that kind of stuff.

Anyway, from what I hear Yahtzee really needs to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent because it plays like the fixed-up version of Silent Hill Shattered Memories he wanted.

Flankhard

Mar 28, 2010
Babitz said:
"..." After MGS1, everything went downhill.
Mm-hmm, couldn't agree more. By now, I'd take an upskirt QTE over another 30 min. speech about battlefield honor any day of the week.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
Akalistos said:
No, you get to strip a 14 year old girl to her underwear for no F'in reason. I thought they did it to show scars on her (being tortured and kept prisoner) but i restart the game and there's nothing to see. And I play the game with a connector to a 32'' Flat screen HD TV. There's no way i could have miss them even if i wanted to.
Sixteen-year-old. And ironically enough, you did miss the scars; they're there. If your Flat screen HD TV is playing tricks on you, disconnect or just youtube the scene.

Never was bothered with women in MG-MGS2, despite women being treated like crap, mainly because I got the "guy game" vibe. And I admit that in MGS3, I quite liked the Boss. Peace Walker managed to creep even me out. The zooming, the "Date" mission and even the characterization; it even managed to (spoiler alert) turn the Boss from someone loyal to what's essentially a woman continuously abused by someone with power. That's pretty fucked up, Hideo.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
LOL
I don't know why, but I was really hoping Yahtzeee would do something on Peace Walker.
Whats funny is that he hasn't got to Celcile the bird Lady, or the date with Paz yet..... or Kaz.... or even those extra briefing tapes, Stranglove 1 through 3, and Paz 5.
He'd have a ball talking about those.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
I think Hideo Kojima and Suda 51 should work together on a game.

And that game should be kept somewhere highly secret and safe. Then they should both be assigned to social workers. But for the love god not female ones.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
civver said:
ProtoChimp said:
Here's something weird you guys might not believe: Japan, the same country which damn near idolises rape, has the lowest rape rate in the world last time I checked. Seriously.
Who here's willing to bet a lot is unreported?
Almost certainly, apparently there's an expectation for Japanese women to be submissive and to not make a fuss about it. I looked into it a while ago after spending an afternoon yelling "why don't you just kick his ass!?" at anime. Apparently the sexual culture over there is completely different to in the west.
I think you are misunderstanding things.

1 - The rape rate are low for the same reason that rates of all other crimes are low. The Japanese legal system is very, very harsh. You do something like stealing a candy from a grocery store and you are f* for the rest of your life.

2 - Japan is a 1st world country and the second largest economy on the planet. The countries with the highest rape rates are all underdeveloped.

3 - There's a big difference between being a f* weirdo and f* a criminal. I meam, this obsession rape-lolicon is very "WTF?!" and some men probably think that women should be submissive. But think because of that Japan is Gotham City is kind of too much.

Apr 16, 2008
what you said makes sense, but its no better in other games. I mean hell, almost all of Team ninja's work does this. Even in their recent Metroid game, they just blatantly weakened Samus, made her wear her skintight jumpsuit more than she should, upped her cup size and made her have to ask her "daddy" for permission to use any weapons.

Its disturbing.

...SO WHEN ARE YOU REVIEWING STARCRAFT 2?

civver

May 15, 2009
Mangue Surfer said:
1 - The rape rate are low for the same reason that rates of all other crimes are low. The Japanese legal system is very, very harsh. You do something like stealing a candy from a grocery store and you are f* for the rest of your life.
The harshness of the legal system's punishments does not necessarily mean that a high percentage of crimes are discovered and reported. Also, it is possible for cultural incentives to exist that discourage reporting of rape.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
This made me laugh and I adore the MGS series.

Kojima is insane but my god do I love his insanity. He is one of the few truly creative minds in the industry at the moment and if he wants to do all sorts of crazy shit involving women then I can roll with it.

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
Antonio Torrente said:
Indignation837 said:
some words
do you like golden sun?
Yes, probably to an unhealthy degree. Although, it's probably more for the nostalgia at this point, but back when it first came out I definitely had an obsession with it. When I heard the 3rd one was coming out, I jumped for joy.

Back on topic: Incidentally, Golden Sun is one of the only JRPGs that didn't have any kind of forced love story and the female characters were just as integral to the story and capable in battle as the males were.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Wooo! I'm going on a P&O South Pacific cruise in 2 weeks! Gonna be sweeeeet!

Well after his K&L review I can see why they may not be pleased!

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Never understood some of the gimmicks like those in games, distracting to gameplay and sexist.