Hideo Kojima Confirms Metal Gear Solid 5

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Hideo Kojima Confirms Metal Gear Solid 5

Solid Snake will return on a new game engine.

After years of speculation, Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima has announced that the fifth entry in the series is officially on the way. The game will feature his studio's in-house FOX Engine, and may even introduce Deus Ex-inspired conversation trees to the series.

"On the topic of Metal Gear Solid 5, I can tell you two things," Kojima told the French publisher IG Magazine. "There will be more infiltration, spying, and convincing people to do you 'a favor' than in the previous MGS. I loved the idea of the social interactions in Deus Ex: Human Revolution that we've seen. And if I say more about it, the ninja PR woman behind the door will chop me into pieces."

Kojima also noted that the new game will not be directly connected to the upcoming Metal Gear Rising. "Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance never pretended to be Metal Gear Solid," Kojima said. "It's not a game about our beloved Solid Snake. It's a spin-off that tries something different. We haven't seen the last of Solid Snake, despite the fact that I wanted to let him die at the end of Guns of the Patriots."

The addition of conversation trees would be a welcome addition to the series. Since the biggest criticism of MGS4 was its lengthy cutscenes, replacing them with social interactions players can control would go a long way towards restoring a sense of agency for the series. The concept is also a natural fit for a series dealing with stealth and infiltration, as Deus Ex: Human Revolution proved.

MGS5 will use Kojima Productions' FOX Engine, although Kojima notes that the final game will not include content from <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjFWLEBFlOc>previous FOX demos. No release dates have been announced, but as the game is still in its planning stages, it would be reasonable to assume that we won't see it this console cycle.

Source: Gameranx

Thanks to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Marshall+Honorof>Marshall Honorof for the English translation.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
I'm glad that he's done with the Solid Snake/Big Boss saga to move the MGS series forward.
I'm still think he should be working on ZOE3 though but that's just me being picky

LOL at the "PR ninja woman"

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Snake died(ish)! Please let him die. Kojima you gave him the most brilliant send off possible, now let an old soldier rest, I want to see more Metal Gear, but Solid's time is over. Create someone new, start a new saga, in a new world, free of the Patriots, finding it's feet.

The whole of MGS4 was about aging and final send-offs and finishing things. This only makes MGS4 less epic

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
PR ninja woman
Everytime I read something even remotely close to 'feminine' with regards to MSG, I think of something borderline-pervy immediately. Have you guys played these games?! BACK AWAY EVIL TEMPTRESSES

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Wow...Kojima must be so pissed right now, He wanted MGS4 to be the end, Period.
Still, I loved Peace Walker so I'm hype :D

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Metal Gear is one of my favorite gaming series of all times, but I am not sure how I feel about this. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance takes place several years after the end of Guns of the Patriots, so adding in another sequel will be strange and convoluted, especially given how much Kojima has wanted to move away from the series. Just make Zone of the Enders 3 already!

MGS4 wraps up the plot with a neat little ribbon. Pulling Snake out of retirement would be impossible. Its worth noting that Kojima only says "we haven't seen the last of Solid Snake", which I am hoping means that he only has a cameo or something. Kojima has wrote himself into a situation where Snake simply cannot be the main character of another game. I mean... that's what Guns of the Patriots was all about. The end of Snake's journey as a soldier.

Mixed feelings for sure... I think everyone is going to feel this way.

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
FantomOmega said:
I'm glad that he's done with the Solid Snake/Big Boss saga to move the MGS series forward.
I'm still think he should be working on ZOE3 though but that's just me being picky

Except he didn't say that. He said that Metal Gear Rising was seperat from Snake/Big Boss. Why can't any publisher ever let a franchise go out gracefully? Everytime they find some reason to bring it back. No doubt it'll be convoluted to the point of actual insanity, especially in MGS's case.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I think it would be best to have the game centred around The Boss or a new character entirely. I loved Snake/Big Boss but their story has been nicely wrapped up and adding to it will just unleash a whole new tangled mess into the story.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011

Okay, well maybe not that extreme, but you get the picture.
As much as I love MGS, Snake's story should be over.

Let. Him. Retire!

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
We haven't seen the last of Solid Snake, despite the fact that I wanted to let him die at the end of Guns of the Patriots."
So... can someone tell me exactly why we're seeing more of Soild Snake despite the fact that Kojima wanted to let him die?
Is this a case like George Lucas who hates the Star Wars expanded universe novels because they "ruin the cannon" but loves money more than he hates the expanded universe?

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Can we just put this franchise to bed... and then smother it with a pillow? Its been going on since 1987 and no I'm not wrong, do your research people.
And what news is this anyway? We know this series will go on until the four horsemen come. Its just when it will be released?
I'm a complete hypocrite cause I'll play it and compare it to MGS3 and say its not as good as that etc...
Might as well enjoy it, can't fret over something your have no control over.

EDIT: just released I went over some stages of dying in this post... IRONY!!!

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Kojima didn't have the last say and it was probably Konami higher ups, why end the cash cow in a tasteful fashion when you can choke the golden goose for all the golden eggs until it dies like Activision is going to do with Call of Duty series.

Same thing goes with Microsoft and Halo also Sony with the God of War series to some extent.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, Kojima tried pretty damn hard to write MGS4 into the ground to kill off Snake...

Well, come MGS5 he will just have to write harder. I suspect the executives will get involved anyway.

Mcoffey said:
Anyway, I just purchased a referb psp, so I'm planning on downloading the first Metal Gear very soon. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.
While youre at it get Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Honestly I would be interested in playing a game that Kojima actually wanted to work on. He's said the only reason he's still making them is because the fans but it seems like most fans want it to end.

Eclpsedragon said:
We haven't seen the last of Solid Snake, despite the fact that I wanted to let him die at the end of Guns of the Patriots."
So... can someone tell me exactly why we're seeing more of Soild Snake despite the fact that Kojima wanted to let him die?
Is this a case like George Lucas who hates the Star Wars expanded universe novels because they "ruin the cannon" but loves money more than he hates the expanded universe?
Konami owns the rights to MGS I assume which means even if Kojima said "No I'm not making it" then they would still just make it without him. Like how he wasn't involved and didn't like the NES port of Metal Gear.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
WickedFire said:
FantomOmega said:

Except he didn't say that. He said that Metal Gear Rising was seperat from Snake/Big Boss. Why can't any publisher ever let a franchise go out gracefully? Everytime they find some reason to bring it back. No doubt it'll be convoluted to the point of actual insanity, especially in MGS's case.
Keep forgetting to "quote" not reply...

Kojima didn't have the last say and it was probably Konami higher ups, why end the cash cow in a tasteful fashion when you can choke the golden goose for all the golden eggs until it dies like Activision is going to do with Call of Duty series.

Same thing goes with Microsoft and Halo also Sony with the God of War series to some extent.