Hideo Kojima Confirms Metal Gear Solid 5

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Seeing a lot of complaining about Solid Snake's story being over, which is true. However, that doesn't stop them from making another midquel that Solid Snake will appear in. Personally, I'm hoping for the game to either take place during Snake's time with Philanthropy between MGS 1 and 2, or to take place between Peace Walker and Metal Gear to explain how Big Boss went from running a fully stocked offshore base with an independent military and a perfectly operational Metal Gear at the end of Peace Walker, to returning to America as the boss of FOXHOUND and then to slumming around in South America with an unfinished Metal Gear that's vulnerable to bombs being put on its feet.

EDIT: Also, wasn't Peace Walker ALREADY Metal Gear Solid 5?

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Hrrr.... I... Argh... Hurgh... But I... WHAT!?

How does this make any sense? It's like if sucker punch made InFamous 3. There's just nowhere for the damned thing to go after the previous games ending. There is no patriots, there's no war economy, snake is about AS CLOSE to dead as you can get and only the basic human necessity systems are left after Sunny's virus. Every enemy of Snake's IS dead as you can get.

The only thing left to be expanded on is what Raiden had been doing between 2 and 4 and they probably will do that in revengeance. There's just nothing AFTER 4. There's stuff BEFORE it, but not after. God damn it Konami.

Though dialogue trees would make sense for MGS, what with long ass cutscenes and Hideo's writing mannerism of "Statement A." "Statement A?" "Statement A details."

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Quite frankly, I'm done with MGS unless I see massive improvements of MGS4. Oh, the gameplay was just fine, don't look at me that way. But I would actually like to play the game this time, preferably without taking periodic breaks to watch a Metal Gear themed soap opera.

Oh, and gimme more ZoE.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Wait...no one is commenting on Kojima on the duck? No one? But...that face? Oh nevermind.

MGS4's ending was a fine salute to close to Snake's story. If Snake is a more minor/passive character then fine, but let the guy find a place in Florida or something. Maybe send him off to Disney World to sit back with Goofy having a cold one as they go down a lazy river. I'm no expert on MGS but the guy has been through enough.

Capcha: brick house

Good idea. Give him a brick house in Florida!

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Moontouched-Moogle said:
Seeing a lot of complaining about Solid Snake's story being over, which is true. However, that doesn't stop them from making another midquel that Solid Snake will appear in. Personally, I'm hoping for the game to either take place during Snake's time with Philanthropy between MGS 1 and 2, or to take place between Peace Walker and Metal Gear to explain how Big Boss went from running a fully stocked offshore base with an independent military and a perfectly operational Metal Gear at the end of Peace Walker, to returning to America as the boss of FOXHOUND and then to slumming around in South America with an unfinished Metal Gear that's vulnerable to bombs being put on its feet.

If we really have to have Snake, then I think your thing about Philanthropy is easily the best idea, out of everything they can go with.

But even still MGS stories are too convoluted. I'm a huge fan of the games and the game stories, I don't make silly comments about films etc when it clearly works because everything is brilliantly tied into the game

... I found MGS4 good, brilliant even, because I could take the convoluted, because it brought everything to an end. It wasn't like MGS2 where some of the twists they added just shouldn't have been in the story (apart from right at the end, in the last cutscenes, but that was just because they refused to let him kill Snake I think). The thing is, to me the Solid story is closed. Peace Walker was cool because there was a lot to add there that didn't bloat the cannon overall...

... but if they do the period between 1 and 2, to have a decent plot, and a decent setting and a decent opposition, they're going to have to add things to the storyline that are going to bloat 2 and 4. The story was finished, it was bursting at the seams but finished, I just feel the overall series is going to be worsened from going back to the well even one more time

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
BrotherRool said:
Moontouched-Moogle said:

If we really have to have Snake, then I think your thing about Philanthropy is easily the best idea, out of everything they can go with.

But even still MGS stories are too convoluted. I'm a huge fan of the games and the game stories, I don't make silly comments about films etc when it clearly works because everything is brilliantly tied into the game

... I found MGS4 good, brilliant even, because I could take the convoluted, because it brought everything to an end. It wasn't like MGS2 where some of the twists they added just shouldn't have been in the story (apart from right at the end, in the last cutscenes, but that was just because they refused to let him kill Snake I think). The thing is, to me the Solid story is closed. Peace Walker was cool because there was a lot to add there that didn't bloat the cannon overall...

... but if they do the period between 1 and 2, to have a decent plot, and a decent setting and a decent opposition, they're going to have to add things to the storyline that are going to bloat 2 and 4. The story was finished, it was bursting at the seams but finished, I just feel the overall series is going to be worsened from going back to the well even one more time
Well, they could avoid storyline bloat by making the missions for Philanthropy self contained short-stories with little to no connection to the main plotline. The fact that the whole Philanthropy period was just mentioned in passing and then never discussed again means it already has no impact on the story as a whole. It's also fairly easy to do, since the enemies Snake would face would just be various countries or military factions and their own bastardized incarnations of Metal Gear, with the only connection to everything else being the fact that Ocelot leaked the Metal Gear data to everyone.

Peace Walker did add a lot without bloating the canon, but unfortunately it DID make the connection between Big Boss' escapades pre-Metal Gear and the Outer Heaven Uprising in Metal Gear that much more clouded. I just can't see any simple reason why Big Boss would leave his fully stocked army and operational Metal Gear ZEKE to start from scratch in South America. However, it was a blast to play and wasn't too confusing when taken on its own, so I enjoyed it.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Moontouched-Moogle said:
Well, they could avoid storyline bloat by making the missions for Philanthropy self contained short-stories with little to no connection to the main plotline. The fact that the whole Philanthropy period was just mentioned in passing and then never discussed again means it already has no impact on the story as a whole. It's also fairly easy to do, since the enemies Snake would face would just be various countries or military factions and their own bastardized incarnations of Metal Gear, with the only connection to everything else being the fact that Ocelot leaked the Metal Gear data to everyone.

Peace Walker did add a lot without bloating the canon, but unfortunately it DID make the connection between Big Boss' escapades pre-Metal Gear and the Outer Heaven Uprising in Metal Gear that much more clouded. I just can't see any simple reason why Big Boss would leave his fully stocked army and operational Metal Gear ZEKE to start from scratch in South America. However, it was a blast to play and wasn't too confusing when taken on its own, so I enjoyed it.
But then it's not really MGS5 it's just a spin off. Metal Gear needs stakes and needs to say stuff about the world it's created.

Maybe it would work. I haven't played Peace Walker yet (although I've contemplated buying a PSP (or Vita?) solely for that one game, but in my head Peace Walker was talking about a time where there was a lot to say that wouldn't have a huge impact on the story. There was a pretty big hole between MGS3 and the Metal Gear's and it needed filling.

There is a hole with Philanthropy, but its not so large that it feels like you could fill it with a big story and not have to change the things around the edges

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
BrotherRool said:
Moontouched-Moogle said:

But then it's not really MGS5 it's just a spin off. Metal Gear needs stakes and needs to say stuff about the world it's created.

Maybe it would work. I haven't played Peace Walker yet (although I've contemplated buying a PSP (or Vita?) solely for that one game, but in my head Peace Walker was talking about a time where there was a lot to say that wouldn't have a huge impact on the story. There was a pretty big hole between MGS3 and the Metal Gear's and it needed filling.

There is a hole with Philanthropy, but its not so large that it feels like you could fill it with a big story and not have to change the things around the edges
That's the thing, though. The way I see it, there can still BE stakes and maybe some messages about the nature of war and whatnot, but it wouldn't be directly tied in to the main story so far, i.e. the shenanigans that the Philosophers and later the Patriots got up to. It would be focused on the missions Snake goes on, and the countries who are building their own Metal Gears and running ever closer to full blown nuclear war. Plus, if we actually get to SEE Snake go around and dismantle said derivatives of Metal Gear, it would make more sense why nobody ever stepped up with their nuclear walking tank and tried to pull a fast one on the PMCs or something.

Plus, it's not really Metal Gear Solid 5 anyway; that honor goes to Peace Walker. I think Kojima just called it MGS5 to indicate there's another MGS game coming without getting it confused with Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (which is both the worst and the greatest subtitle anything can have.)

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Moontouched-Moogle said:
That's the thing, though. The way I see it, there can still BE stakes and maybe some messages about the nature of war and whatnot, but it wouldn't be directly tied in to the main story so far, i.e. the shenanigans that the Philosophers and later the Patriots got up to. It would be focused on the missions Snake goes on, and the countries who are building their own Metal Gears and running ever closer to full blown nuclear war. Plus, if we actually get to SEE Snake go around and dismantle said derivatives of Metal Gear, it would make more sense why nobody ever stepped up with their nuclear walking tank and tried to pull a fast one on the PMCs or something.

Plus, it's not really Metal Gear Solid 5 anyway; that honor goes to Peace Walker. I think Kojima just called it MGS5 to indicate there's another MGS game coming without getting it confused with Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (which is both the worst and the greatest subtitle anything can have.)
You've convinced me, this Kojima, he will make something awesome in the end, no matter where he's forced to do it.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
BrotherRool said:
Moontouched-Moogle said:

One quick note don't get a Vita for Peace Walker. For one none of the MGS games are available on it (at least U.S. wise I don't know about the rest of the world), for another the MGS HD collection doesn't have Peace Walker and finally it's quite a bit overpriced. Just get a PSP and peace walker. Also the differences between the PSP models are basically the newer ones are smaller, lighter and have a bit of a better screen.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Last I heard, it's coming out on the PC as well, so yay me!

Oh, could we get Snake Eater as well? Pretty please? :D

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
Metal Gear is one of my favorite gaming series of all times, but I am not sure how I feel about this. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance takes place several years after the end of Guns of the Patriots, so adding in another sequel will be strange and convoluted, especially given how much Kojima has wanted to move away from the series. Just make Zone of the Enders 3 already!

MGS4 wraps up the plot with a neat little ribbon. Pulling Snake out of retirement would be impossible. Its worth noting that Kojima only says "we haven't seen the last of Solid Snake", which I am hoping means that he only has a cameo or something. Kojima has wrote himself into a situation where Snake simply cannot be the main character of another game. I mean... that's what Guns of the Patriots was all about. The end of Snake's journey as a soldier.

Mixed feelings for sure... I think everyone is going to feel this way.
120% feel the same way. I'm worried that he either forgotten what the hell Guns of the Patriots was about, forgotten that 4 put an end to everything that came before, or worst: either doesn't care or for some reason Konami is pulling the strings of wanting Solid Snake instead of Big Boss.

For all intends and purposes, MG(S5) could be a remake of Metal Gear, his vision realized thanks to today's software and maybe I might be fine with that. But if it isn't, one would have to ask: has Solid Snake always been working for the US government? The dude barely was out of high school when he partaking in the Gulf War but if this rookie somehow saved the world before Operation N1313, it would undermine MG1's importance for character of David. I seriously have no idea why he said Solid Snake though as it seems only fitting to end the Cold War (1980s) with an old Big Boss. It seems like the perfect thing to do but him mentiong about not seeing the last of Solid Snake yet wanting to kill off David...well, he did...I don't really get why you want him back. Who is requesting him back? We seem pretty contempt with Big Boss and I'm pretty sure majority of fans acknowledge when to let go of something compared to most series where the majority don't care since they didn't have to think much in regards of gameplay and have to go through a bunch of cut scenes.

And once again, if they are going to put a stamp on 5 the numbering for this series is just going to be as lengthy as Final Fantasy.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Wasn't Peace Walker originally intended to be 5?
I feel like the only possible way to still include Snake would be to make the game some sort of a prequel. All of the Snakes are gone. Or in the process of going. So it seems like the only logical choice for the series. I hope. Otherwise...goddammit more Old Snake.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
FantomOmega said:
I'm glad that he's done with the Solid Snake/Big Boss saga to move the MGS series forward.
I'm still think he should be working on ZOE3 though but that's just me being picky

LOL at the "PR ninja woman"
Hopefully MGS5 will have Snake in it in a very reduced capacity. Maybe mentioned a few times, maybe so far as a codec conversation. I just hope they dont force the poor guy into having to save the world again...

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
As long as he let's Snake rest and not do another prequel game, I will definitely show my support and purchase the game. Likelihood is that Kojima will, once again, be the sole reason I get a Playstation next gen. Fuck everyone else. Kojima was the only reason I bought a PS2 and a PS3.

Chalacachaca

May 15, 2011
"with social interactions players can control would go a long way towards restoring a sense of agency for the series."

Oh boy, I can't wait to see how that will work out, conversations ala Deus Ex or Mass Effect.

Colonel: "Snake, this shadowy organization demands 60 billion dollars. If their conditions are not met, they're going to release a new type of bipedal walking tank with the capacity of launching stuff that blows up with no relation to Metal Gear at all".

Snake: >60 billion dollars?!
>Release?
>Conditions?
>Metal Gear?!

Course, I'm only joking, I believe Kojima will come up with something good enough (not groundbreaking, but good nonetheless).

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
We did, in fact, ask for this.
Yes. Yes we did.

The thing I find most intriguing is that Kojima was hiring people to work on high-end consoles and PC!

I'll repeat that.

PC! So we might be getting another MGS on PC!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
80Maxwell08 said:
Honestly I would be interested in playing a game that Kojima actually wanted to work on. He's said the only reason he's still making them is because the fans but it seems like most fans want it to end.

Eclpsedragon said:
We haven't seen the last of Solid Snake, despite the fact that I wanted to let him die at the end of Guns of the Patriots."
So... can someone tell me exactly why we're seeing more of Soild Snake despite the fact that Kojima wanted to let him die?
Is this a case like George Lucas who hates the Star Wars expanded universe novels because they "ruin the cannon" but loves money more than he hates the expanded universe?
Konami owns the rights to MGS I assume which means even if Kojima said "No I'm not making it" then they would still just make it without him. Like how he wasn't involved and didn't like the NES port of Metal Gear.
Then he should say no, have them make it, and work on something else. (Preferably ZOE 3) The fans can just ignore the gray goop that Konami produces under the MGS name.