Hideo Kojima Confirms Metal Gear Solid 5

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
EHKOS said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Honestly I would be interested in playing a game that Kojima actually wanted to work on. He's said the only reason he's still making them is because the fans but it seems like most fans want it to end.

Eclpsedragon said:
We haven't seen the last of Solid Snake, despite the fact that I wanted to let him die at the end of Guns of the Patriots."
So... can someone tell me exactly why we're seeing more of Soild Snake despite the fact that Kojima wanted to let him die?
Is this a case like George Lucas who hates the Star Wars expanded universe novels because they "ruin the cannon" but loves money more than he hates the expanded universe?
Konami owns the rights to MGS I assume which means even if Kojima said "No I'm not making it" then they would still just make it without him. Like how he wasn't involved and didn't like the NES port of Metal Gear.
Then he should say no, have them make it, and work on something else. (Preferably ZOE 3) The fans can just ignore the gray goop that Konami produces under the MGS name.
The problem with that is that he's attached to the series himself so he probably doesn't want random people messing with it. Hence why he's writing the plot for Revengeance. He doesn't want to leave fans of the series hanging so as long as there's a MGS fan who wants more he will make them.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I'd imagine Snake will most likely be a cameo or someone who provides plot exposition via slide shows or flashbacks.

It'll be interesting to see where the series goes from here. I wonder what's going to happen.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Here's what I'm hoping/predicting.

1: Its actually a prequel to MGS3 where you play The Boss during her D-Day mission. Bonus points for self-cessarian QTE.

2: Kojima makes it cross-platform simply to see if he can cause a bigger shitstorm than the one Square-Enix caused.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
I imagine if Snake is still old that he'll be some sort of mentor to the new protagonist or it could be a prequel since we heard in MGS2 that Snake was doing really badass stuff in between the Tanker and the Plant chapters.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
ServebotFrank said:
I imagine if Snake is still old that he'll be some sort of mentor to the new protagonist or it could be a prequel since we heard in MGS2 that Snake was doing really badass stuff in between the Tanker and the Plant chapters.
He only has a few months left to live so either he's that crazy to not live life to the fullest or he can't seem to let go of the past...like a certain someone.

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
The characters being played in Metal gear are actual characters with personalities. No one actually likes Shepard as a character, they just like their Shepard or at worst, just use him/her as a flesh vessel to get to the more interesting companion characters. Metal Gear fans actually like Snake and Big Boss and Raiden as characters and would probably much rather listen to them than make them talk.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I'm reminded of FFVII and its multiple spin-offs. You have Dirge of Cerberus, which is kind of a sequel AFTER the sequel, Advent Children, of FFVII. Which, as it turns out, is a sequel of Crisis Core. Which is also a sequel to Before Crisis. And don't even get me started on Kingdom Hearts.

See what I'm getting at? MGS4 answered every question there was, got rid of the baddies and gave Snake a fitting reward, at least for someone like him. No Ocelot, no Patriots = no MGS. So MGS5 looks more like a prequel to any preexisting MGS games. So like I said, if you keep adding prequels and sequels and spin-offs, you only end up convoluting (?) the story even more. It was already fine as it was! We got all the answers we needed with MGS4! A prequel would have to create more questions and solve them almost immediately, unless then intend to make MGS6 and 7.

See, Kojima? When you wanna kill of a franchise, kill the main character for sure.
...What? No, RE doesn't count. No, FF doesn't count either. DMC doe-- AW, FINE!

I'll admit, though. I hated those long cutscenes. Not because they were lengthy. I mean, I knew what I was getting into especially after playing Snake Eater. No, I hated them because I liked to lay back, put down the controller and watch the cutscene as a reward for defeating that one boss. But noooooooo! You gotta stay alert because if you blink, you might miss that quick-time event! And there's even invisible ones! I guess it was just a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, if Kojima is involved, it will probably be a good game. Heck, I'll even get Revengeance despite the dumb subtitle. But still, I wish it would have ended with MGS4.

Mahoshonen said:
1: Its actually a prequel to MGS3 where you play The Boss during her D-Day mission. Bonus points for self-cessarian QTE.
"And now it's MOVE/Kinect compatible! Use your hand or the MOVE controller to guide the knife through The Boss' stomach! Uh-oh! It appears The Boss gave birth to a major, recurring villain. Position your hands, or the MOVE controllers, in front of you and shake the baby!"

I can totally see that happening.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
Beautiful End said:
I'm reminded of FFVII and its multiple spin-offs. You have Dirge of Cerberus, which is kind of a sequel AFTER the sequel, Advent Children, of FFVII. Which, as it turns out, is a sequel of Crisis Core. Which is also a sequel to Before Crisis. And don't even get me started on Kingdom Hearts.

See what I'm getting at? MGS4 answered every question there was, got rid of the baddies and gave Snake a fitting reward, at least for someone like him. No Ocelot, no Patriots = no MGS. So MGS5 looks more like a prequel to any preexisting MGS games. So like I said, if you keep adding prequels and sequels and spin-offs, you only end up convoluting (?) the story even more. It was already fine as it was! We got all the answers we needed with MGS4! A prequel would have to create more questions and solve them almost immediately, unless then intend to make MGS6 and 7.

See, Kojima? When you wanna kill of a franchise, kill the main character for sure.
I know that Konami wants to keep the franchise going and, while I really would rather see the end of Big Boss, I just don't understand why Kojima or anybody at KP aren't willing to start the series anew by not relying on any of the characters or plots that resided on the Patriots story arc. It isnt' COD or Halo where most consumers only care about the best FPS controls or a space marine, millions of gamers made this franchise an success, otherwise, they wouldn't have ever put up with the story so I'd like to give the benfit of the doubt to the majority of MG players that actually don't mind not playing as a Snake. I'm not even asking for a new universe, I'm just asking to have it take place after MGS4 but pretty much brand new characters and how the narrative is played out and such while only keeping stealth, a good story, and an mechanized monstrosity as a threat to the whole world. It seems simple enough but I have a bad feeling KP isn't thinking that way.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Is that a serious thing that is happening, like people are going to buy it because it is a tangible object obtainable in reality? Revengeace, seriously. I am at a loss of words.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
BBboy20 said:
Beautiful End said:

I know that Konami wants to keep the franchise going and, while I really would rather see the end of Big Boss, I just don't understand why Kojima or anybody at KP aren't willing to start the series anew by not relying on any of the characters or plots that resided on the Patriots story arc. It isnt' COD or Halo where most consumers only care about the best FPS controls or a space marine, millions of gamers made this franchise an success, otherwise, they wouldn't have ever put up with the story so I'd like to give the benfit of the doubt to the majority of MG players that actually don't mind not playing as a Snake. I'm not even asking for a new universe, I'm just asking to have it take place after MGS4 but pretty much brand new characters and how the narrative is played out and such while only keeping stealth, a good story, and an mechanized monstrosity as a threat to the whole world. It seems simple enough but I have a bad feeling KP isn't thinking that way.
Exactly. And that's the problem I'm seeing right now. MGS games are good because of the plot and the character's story/personality. The gameplay is nice but we all know that when we're playing MGS, we might as well pull out the popcorn and get a comfy seat. So I don't deny another MGS game with a new character would be interesting. Maybe a few links here and there to the previous plot(s), much like Avatar is doing with The Legend of Korra. But...it doesn't seem like it.

It seems they're already trying that as it is with Revengeance. And notice the title of that game: Metal Gear Rising. Not even Metal gear Solid. So MGS = Snake/Snake's story. Yeah, I agree with you; I'd love to see a new story because we know Kojima can do cool junk. But I also agree with the fact that it's not shaping out to look that way.

Then again, this is just a mindless speculation! I might still end up buying MGS5, though. Just for kicks and my love for the previous games.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
Beautiful End said:
It seems they're already trying that as it is with Revengeance. And notice the title of that game: Metal Gear Rising. Not even Metal gear Solid. So MGS = Snake/Snake's story. Yeah, I agree with you; I'd love to see a new story because we know Kojima can do cool junk. But I also agree with the fact that it's not shaping out to look that way.
Rising...you know, rather it kept the Solid or not (though just rising does roll off the tongue) better, I thought this game might finally be the opportunity to finally play like an above mortal after all these years but they never admitted that.

Then again, this is just a mindless speculation! I might still end up buying MGS5, though. Just for kicks and my love for the previous games.
So far, he's done an excellent job but it doesn't change the fact that he has been treading on thin ice. I just want him to just finish up Big Boss' story and move on but Konami seems to not give a shit that the dude is pushing 50. Makes me wish I was a dev at KP being able to do something about this or speak advice about what the direction of the franchise might go.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
I don't think he indicated that Snake would be the main protagonist here. It's entirely likely that he's still pretty much done, but he'll interact with the story a bit. Especially considering that the news I had heard back when MGS4 was released was a very definitive "this will be the last Metal Gear game to have Snake as the player character."
Mind you that was just my brother, but he sure as hell knows more about the series than I do!

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
Lancer873 said:
I don't think he indicated that Snake would be the main protagonist here. It's entirely likely that he's still pretty much done, but he'll interact with the story a bit. Especially considering that the news I had heard back when MGS4 was released was a very definitive "this will be the last Metal Gear game to have Snake as the player character."
Mind you that was just my brother, but he sure as hell knows more about the series than I do!
Oh trust me, Solid Snake is done; there's no reason for them to use him after 4. Maybe references here or there but interacting with him, that would seem to indicate that the world is already in peril right away.

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
I'm totally buying this, if there is a collectors edition I'll probably try to get my hands on that!

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
BBboy20 said:
Beautiful End said:
Rising...you know, rather it kept the Solid or not (though just rising does roll off the tongue) better, I thought this game might finally be the opportunity to finally play like an above mortal after all these years but they never admitted that.

So far, he's done an excellent job but it doesn't change the fact that he has been treading on thin ice. I just want him to just finish up Big Boss' story and move on but Konami seems to not give a shit that the dude is pushing 50. Makes me wish I was a dev at KP being able to do something about this or speak advice about what the direction of the franchise might go.
Sorry if this sounds insulting but you do realize that this isn't Kojima at all right? He wanted to end the series but Konami owns the IP so they can continue it as long as they want. He's only working on it because he doesn't want the fans to be let down. He's said on multiple occasions that he doesn't want to do it anymore he wants to make something else.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
80Maxwell08 said:
Sorry if this sounds insulting but you do realize that this isn't Kojima at all right? He wanted to end the series but Konami owns the IP so they can continue it as long as they want. He's only working on it because he doesn't want the fans to be let down. He's said on multiple occasions that he doesn't want to do it anymore he wants to make something else.
I'm aware of that. Just wondering why even bothered writing MGS4 as the end of Konami wanted to keep the series going on a regular basis like that. Metal Gear has room for spin-offs but I'm often worried that everyone at Kojima Productions think we can't let go of everything that came before MGS4 and start fresh in the franchise like a new "world" and cast of characters after the fall of the Patriots. I'm still troubled in why he even mentioned Solid Snake to begin with.