Hideo Kojima Has Officially Left Konami

Sep 24, 2008
At this point, Kojima can type the phrase "I want to start a kickstarter..."

and his product would be 200% funded before the sentence is completed.

Few men in this industry has his clout. This is probably better for us gamers than we can imagine right now.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Well, good for him, he's better off not working with those short-sighted, greedy jackasses anyway.

#FuckKonami

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Headsprouter said:
What about all those great game franchises he had the biggest hand in creating? What happens to them?
Pretty much this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c55PtTyvfE4

Goodbye Konami. I do wonder what made you decide life was no longer worth living, but okay.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Zontar said:
It wasn't official? I was under the impression it had already happened.
Seriously, I thought that this had already been announced way back in spring. Every detail right up to his contract being officially over in December.

On another note, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing an article (either here or on IGN) stating that del Toro would still be very interested in teaming up with Kojima to make a game. They should get together and make "Definitely Not Silent Hills" as a kickstarter. The ludicrous amount of money the gaming community would throw at them would be truly unprecedented.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Well it was fun while it lasted, but given how Konami was been self destructing lately he's definitely better off without them.

At least he can always create not Silent Hill and not ZOE, though sadly nothing will ever replace Metal Gear for me.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Will the last person at Konami who actually makes games please turn out the lights on their way out?

It's sad to see what used to be such a great and prolific company come to this.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
I'm really excited for this actually. Just like Koji Igarashi is doing with Bloodstained, I'm excited to see what Kojima creates when he forced to let go of the chains of Metal Gear and create a new universe within that gameplay design. Kojima is gonna do great and be fine.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
gigastar said:
WolvDragon said:
You do know Konami won't let go anywhere near Silent Hill right? I hate to break it to people who wanted to play the game, but with Kojima fired, there's virtually no possible way for him to start up the project again.
Well file the old name off and slap a new one on in its place. Theres nothing stopping them from producing something like it without Konami involvement.
Next E3, Kojima will announce "Quiet Knolls" and "Alloy Cog!"

Gregio

Jul 26, 2014
I'm all about hating Konami just as the next person, but I'm skeptical about all those people saying how successful Kojima would be in Kickstarter and such.
As much as I love Metal Gear, there are so many ridiculous things in it, and you've gotta imagine that publishers and CEOs in Konami probably curbed Kojima's "creativity" a lot. Konami also pushed the release of Metal Gear, after it'd been what, 5-7 years in development, if not more.

How many people would honestly fund a Kickstarter for a possible Silent Hills spiritual successor with Kojima having full freedom to work as he reportedly does on it?
It would need Star Citizen levels of funding and take at least 5 years. Also, unlike Castlevania, where there had been no good games on the franchise recently (though I did like Lords of Shadow, it was a different creature) Metal Gear just came out, so no one would be funding another one anytime soon, Silent Hills kinda thing maybe, but I don't think the silent hill franchise ever had as big a following as Metal Gear or Castlevania. (though that's just my impression, I might be wrong)

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Dagra Dai MC. VSO. said:
I'll be really honest, I care a lot less about how Konami treats a famous multi millionaire, than how they treated all of their customers by releasing an unfinished game with that ridiculous microtransaction shit.
I'm with you on that but I also care about how they've treated not just Kojima but all their employees allegedly (and I believe the allegations). How a company treats its employees is a perfect mirror of how they treat customers. A good company treating employees well will ultimately treat their customers well too. See: CDProjekt.

EDIT: Also, again FucKonami.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
I do look forward to see if he produces in parallel of his previous works keeping one step of separation to avoid IP conflicts with Ko, Kona, gah I can't say the name that has been stricken from all Gamer records lol. My first guess is he will stick with what works initially and then maybe try some new things on the side.

New Kojima games: Noisy Mountain, Area of Beginners, Metallum Instrumentum Solidum, plus the next collectors edition will contain its own Fulton device that will air lift the CE to safety.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Wow, I bet when you first slapped in Castlevania you didn't see this shit coming. Because I certainly didn't. I hope Kojima finds much success in whatever he tries next. I love ZOE, and TPP was a masterpiece. I seriously hope the Kojima Studio employees leave and the Fox Engine doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Dagra Dai MC. VSO. said:
That's definitely true, but I meant more than with Kojima gone, and what Konami has become, I have no hope for them. I'm not going to be buying whatever mobile shit they make after all.
I've put Konami on my shitlist since the working conditions allegations came out, they were edging there already and the mobile shit, the pachinko stuff and pretty much every misstep and anti-consumer move they've made have solidified in fucking adamantium that I will not ever buy a product from them again. They will get no more of my money, nor my respect and have sunk so low I'm honestly saddened. I loved old Konami, hell they gave us the frickin Konami Code, one of gamings first pop culture entries... they gave us Castlevania (pre-LoS), Contra, Gradius, Silent Hill, Metal Gear... the list is ridiculous the contributions they've made and they just... abandoned us. So yeah, I've never put a developer or publisher I once respected on a shitlist, not even EA or Activision. That I have done so is a landmark, and a black mark, of gaming to me... and so sad of one at that.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Gregio said:
How many people would honestly fund a Kickstarter for a possible Silent Hills spiritual successor with Kojima having full freedom to work as he reportedly does on it?
It would need Star Citizen levels of funding and take at least 5 years.
This is the unfortunate truth. Kojima's work ethic pretty much prevents any sort of crowd funding from being successful. He's too obsessive with his work and his insistence on having every single little detail, while great from a creative standpoint, means that any big project he is involved in will likely take years and cost a small fortune.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Dagra Dai MC. VSO. said:
They did give us all of that, and how amazing that they did. Most companies are just as bad, but can't claim to have given us all so much. I'm just trying to accept that "Konami" died a while ago, and the shambling corpse is something we should all pretend not to notice. It really is like a loved one rising from the dead, but they've lost 40 IQ points, they drink heavily, and they're racist.
I give EA a lot of leeway, though I am still mad at them for a lot of things, because I once worked there and it used to be a wonderful place to work. Konami just felt like, and I hate to use this, the scene in Episode III where Obi Wan is screaming "I trusted you, I loved you" to the hacked up mess that was Vader... I feel the betrayal is so deep, it really hurts. With all the other things publishers have done, they've never honestly felt this bad to me. I grew up with, cut my teeth on Konami games, they were there at my gaming beginning, like a friend, a family member almost.
Wow, I really didn't explore those feelings that deep until just now and it makes me realize how much of a loss it is and I genuinely am sad.