Hideo Kojima Hates Metal Gear On The NES

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Yeah, already knew that, but it's nice to be reminded. Never played the NES version, only the MSX game, but if there really is an annoying base infiltration in the NES game then I have no interest in playing it.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Rensenhito said:
Picture makes the thread. Can't you just imagine Kojima saying "it has soiled my reputation" while solemnly rocking back and forth on the playground duck?
Honestly, I cant think of him doing anything without sitting on that duck.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
This is news? Seriously guys, we already knew that. It didn't even include the damn Metal Gear. It was nothing like the original Metal Gear on the MSX2. Of course he hates it. Last I checked he had nothing to do with it, and yet it included the name of his signature franchise. I'd be pissed too.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Targie said:
As has already been stated this is common knowledge. On the other hand though it was supposedly the NES sequel "Snake's Revenge" that triggered Kojima to start designing his (official) sequel "Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake" so it's entirely possible that without that dreadful NES port we wouldn't have the Solid series. Yay for additional trivia.

In response to people saying obviously he didn't like it because there were no 5 hour cutscenes (Which there aren't in any MG game but I digress) you people are aware that the NES version is a port of a game he designed, and that the port, while terrible, still had the majority of the original game in there. In other words, *Gasp* same/similar cutscenes!
Hmm,i guess you're right, the cut-scenes just FELT like they lasted 5 hours each...

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Targie said:
As has already been stated this is common knowledge. On the other hand though it was supposedly the NES sequel "Snake's Revenge" that triggered Kojima to start designing his (official) sequel "Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake" so it's entirely possible that without that dreadful NES port we wouldn't have the Solid series. Yay for additional trivia.

In response to people saying obviously he didn't like it because there were no 5 hour cutscenes (Which there aren't in any MG game but I digress) you people are aware that the NES version is a port of a game he designed, and that the port, while terrible, still had the majority of the original game in there. In other words, *Gasp* same/similar cutscenes!
Hmm,i guess you're right, the cut-scenes just FELT like they lasted 5 hours each...

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
I say Mr Kojima hates it because it has too much gameplay and not enough half-hour-verbal-diarrhea cutscenes!

OldRat

Dec 9, 2009
Heh, guess the gameplay to cutscenes ratio was way too high for him.
I kid, I kid (at least partially), that picture is just way too damn adorable.

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
That makes two of us. That game was utter shite and I can't believe I finished the damn thing. I want my time back.....

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
In the interview, Kojima said that he came across the game in a bargain bin and tried to play it, but the title's design was "pretty bad." He also said that the gameplay included a base infiltration section that wasn't in the original that was maddeningly frustrating: "Even I, the developer of the original game, was unable to infiltrate the base even once."
Glad to see I'm not the only one who despised and quit the game over that terrible section alone.

There's no way the original Metal Gear doesn't get remade on a next-gen console.

Right?

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
OP: No offense, but this isn't news. This isn't even interesting or relevant. Kojima has been saying for decades that the NES port of Metal Gear was buggy, too hard and the plot makes no sense and anyone who has played will say the same. The end boss was changed, the world layout altered (nonsensically) and dialog was messed up all over the place. We know this already and have for a LONG time. Tell me something new.

Thunderhorse31 said:
snip

There's no the original Metal Gear doesn't get remade on a next-gen console.

Right?
Next-gen? No. But the original MSX version was released with MG3 Subsistence for the PS2 (it also came with MG2, Kojima's previously unreleased (in North America) sequel).

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Yeah, the NES port was really crappy: it was sometimes very frustrating (leaving some places would get you immediately get spotted because of enemy placement) and sometimes too easy (leaving the screen would always cancel the alert, rendering playing stealthily completely useless) and much from the original was scrapped.

Still, I don't like the MSX original that much either: the translation sucked and many codec conversations were removed (although this was not the case with the version included with MSG3: Subsistance for the PS2), also I kept being killed by those bloody dogs and due to some glitch a boss (and therefore also the game) became unbeatable. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake was a huge improvement in every way.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
God I wish he'd make a re-make of original Metal Gear. Just imagine first Metal Gear ever done with today's technology.

Johnny Reb

Sep 12, 2010
eh, i liked it. i still like it. its not my favorite but i'll still pick it up and play it every now and then.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Thunderhorse31 said:
Dr. wonderful said:
In the interview, Kojima said that he came across the game in a bargain bin and tried to play it, but the title's design was "pretty bad." He also said that the gameplay included a base infiltration section that wasn't in the original that was maddeningly frustrating: "Even I, the developer of the original game, was unable to infiltrate the base even once."
Glad to see I'm not the only one who despised and quit the game over that terrible section alone.

There's no way the original Metal Gear doesn't get remade on a next-gen console.

Right?
... I didn't write that.

I can write properly, but only when I'm working on my Novel.