Hideo Kojima Hates Metal Gear On The NES

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Hideo Kojima Hates Metal Gear On The NES

The man who created one of the most popular series in the industry hated the NES port of the first game and considers it a "stain" on his career.

The Metal Gear series didn't really take off until the NES version came out and won the hearts of gamers around the globe. However, series creator Hideo Kojima despises that game, claiming it's an "abomination" that sullied his career. Back in 1987, Kojima designed Metal Gear for the <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSX>MSX computer, but it turns out he had nothing to do with the NES port.

Speaking to Nintendo Power, Kojima explained that "I had absolutely no participation in the development of the NES version. The NES version was a pitiful title developed cheaply and simply by a small team in Tokyo. That was during the bubble economy where anything and everything that was released would sell."

In the interview, Kojima said that he came across the game in a bargain bin and tried to play it, but the title's design was "pretty bad." He also said that the gameplay included a base infiltration section that wasn't in the original that was maddeningly frustrating: "Even I, the developer of the original game, was unable to infiltrate the base even once."

So, even though the game sold millions of copies worldwide, Kojima hates the damn thing and maintains "that title has only soiled my reputation."

Honestly, it's not surprising that the man can't stand the NES port, based on his explanation. If I had busted my hump to create a great game, only to have another team port it to a console as a flawed title that was more frustrating than anything else, I probably wouldn't like it much either.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-14-kojima-hates-nes-metal-gear-solid>Eurogamer

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Can't say I'm surprised, Kojima is at least a bit more humble than most devs. Now I just gotta wait 10 years for Todd Howard to apologies for the horse armor.

Also, does he like Ghost Babel? Seriously best Gameboy game I have ever owned.

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
I thought he had already said this a long time ago. Rightfully so, too, because from what I've seen of the game looks awful.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
ares5566 said:
This is already a well known fact
First
You new, I get it.

But first rule; Never ever say first on these fourms. People has a tad bit of dislike toward it.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
If you were a fan of the series then you would have already known that. But still, "I feel asleep!!"

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
Picture makes the thread. Can't you just imagine Kojima saying "it has soiled my reputation" while solemnly rocking back and forth on the playground duck?

Yeah, anyway, not a huge surprise. Kojima's the type to take himself (semi)seriously.

MazdaXR

Mar 16, 2011
Yeah he prefers making games that you just watch, with as little player interaction as possible. Nothing can sully your name now Mr Film.... I mean game director

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
This is the first appreciable statement I've heard from Kojima in a while. Now if he'll only reiterate that he regrets MGS continuing further than 4 will he come full circle and win my respect again.

Brazilianpeanutwar

Jul 29, 2010
Dr. wonderful said:
ares5566 said:
First
You new, I get it.

But first rule; Never ever say first on these fourms. People has a tad bit of dislike toward it.
Apparently he's been here longer than you -_- sorry to butt in but OH DEAR TOO LATE! :]

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
We knew this already, but oh well.

The NES port was absolutely fucking dreadful, it can't even compare to the MSX games. It's often quite annoying when I see people refer to it as the original game in the series, apparently they can't spend two seconds on wikipedia or something.

righthanded

Dec 5, 2007
MazdaXR said:
Yeah he prefers making games that you just watch, with as little player interaction as possible. Nothing can sully your name now Mr Film.... I mean game director
yup. Cutscene cutscene scene. move into the next room. Cutscene cutscene. Rinse, repeat... etc.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Brazilianpeanutwar said:
Dr. wonderful said:
ares5566 said:
First
You new, I get it.

Aarently he's been here longer than you -_- sorry to butt in but OH DEAR TOO LATE! :]
Yeah, like five months.

It still dosen't change the fact. Never say first. It will always end in flames and pain.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
No wonder he didn't like it, there were no 5 hour cut-scenes filled with whining virtual girlfriends practicing passive aggressive emotional blackmail on the player...

It's a wonder he even recognized it as a MG title

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And seeing as this statement is coming from the man who created MGS4, that's saying a lot.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
Hmm, I don't know if he's ever really made a good game...though the only one I enjoy replaying these days is the NES one.

Beeple

Apr 16, 2009
As has already been stated this is common knowledge. On the other hand though it was supposedly the NES sequel "Snake's Revenge" that triggered Kojima to start designing his (official) sequel "Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake" so it's entirely possible that without that dreadful NES port we wouldn't have the Solid series. Yay for additional trivia.

In response to people saying obviously he didn't like it because there were no 5 hour cutscenes (Which there aren't in any MG game but I digress) you people are aware that the NES version is a port of a game he designed, and that the port, while terrible, still had the majority of the original game in there. In other words, *Gasp* same/similar cutscenes!