Hideo Kojima Tells Square-Enix to Remake FF7

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hideo Kojima Tells Square-Enix to Remake FF7

Hideo Kojima dined with Square-Enix big shots Yoichi Wada and Tetsuya Nomura and was happy to pass on requests from the Twitter-verse that they remake FF7 already.

Though they may make competing games, you'll find that often people who work at - and even run - major studios are friendly on a personal level. While it's doubtful that Bobby Kotick will be invited to John Riccitiello's kids' birthday parties anytime soon, that doesn't mean that people like Konami VIPs like Hideo Kojima and Metal Gear art director Yoji Shinkawa can't chow down with Square-Enix bossmen Yoichi Wada and Final Fantasy mastermind Tetsuya Nomura for a friendly meal.

That's not the interesting part to this story, of course. Nor is it interesting that according to Wada [http://twitter.com/#!/yoichiw], two of the men drank soda while the other two had alcohol (I bet it was Nomura and Kojima with the booze).

What is interesting is that after Kojima mentioned his dinner meeting on his Twitter account [http://twitter.com/#!/Kojima_Hideo], one of his hundred-thousand followers requested that he tell Wada and Nomura to stop putzing around and remake FF7 already.

"I passed it along," answered Kojima.

Other messages that Kojima says he passed on to the Square-Enix big shots include "Hurry up and release Kingdom Hearts 3D," and "Tell Wada I'm waiting for Seiken Densetsu (Secret of Mana) 5." However, he did not tell Wada and Nomura that one of his Twitter followers wanted to tell them "I'm looking forward to the new Zelda game," and for good reason.

Kojima also told Nomura to get a Twitter account of his very own. Unfortunately, @beltsandzippers [http://twitter.com/#!/beltsandzippers] is already taken ... by a parody Tetsuya Nomura account.

Square-Enix has in the past discussed the many difficulties of remaking FF7 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98084-FF13-Producer-Explains-Why-FF7-Remake-is-Unlikely], and funny though it might be I doubt that a single recommendation from Hideo Kojima will convince them either way. That said, now I'm wondering what a FF7 remake would look like if Kojima had a hand in making it.

It's kind of a disturbing mental image.

(Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/19/kojima_nomura_ffvii_remake/])

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
In my opinion, it would be a bad move to remake it.

Then again, there are A LOT of FF7 fans out there...

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Polock said:

My thoughts exactly.

ALTHOUGH! Maybe that would re-teache Square how to make good games.

FrancoDHorse

Mar 9, 2010
Just tell me the Versus XIII release date already. I don't really care much for FFVII, I'd rather play games that aren't 1. Reboots and 2. Remakes. -___-

Antidrall

Mar 16, 2010
You know, I would prefer a final fantasy game made by Hideo Friggin Kojima than the pants backwards idiots at square.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I love that picture of Hideo :3

Idk, maybe a remake of FF7 would bring new people to the FF franchise...but it could also "destroy" the fans of FF7 if done wrong.

Might be safer to just let FF7 be, let the fans keep the image they have of it and let newcomers to the FF franchise pick it up along the line and try it out later.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
The only way I could seem them actually making a remake of FF7 would be to make a version similar to how Cave Story 3d is being made. Same perspective, and size, but with shiner graphics. I mean, that's what people are asking for right? If they completely re-did it, it wouldn't be FF7...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
screw FF7, 6 was better, remake that one :D

as for Seiken Densetsu, give us re-release of 3!!!!! >.< that ones awesome

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
If Kojima helped remake it, Shinra would work like the Patriots(90% of the game nobody would know who was in charge, followed by the last 10% where everyone in the whole world has known who they were for years except apparently you), Sephiroth would be Zack brainwashed with nanomachines for no reason, Vincent would be a cyborg ninja, and cutscenes would be somehow even more wordy than they are already.

Also all the female party members and enemies would strike poses for no real reason if you point a camera at them.

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
Yeah, that's what we need. More remakes. Forget creativity, just throw money at older properties! People are magpies who like shiny, familiar things!

DaMullet

Nov 28, 2009
Aurgelmir said:
Polock said:

My thoughts exactly.

ALTHOUGH! Maybe that would re-teache Square how to make good games.
That last sentense is full of win.

:)

FoAmY99

Dec 8, 2009
Zaik said:
If Kojima helped remake it, Shinra would work like the Patriots(90% of the game nobody would know who was in charge, followed by the last 10% where everyone in the whole world has known who they were for years except apparently you), Sephiroth would be Zack brainwashed with nanomachines for no reason, Vincent would be a cyborg ninja, and cutscenes would be somehow even more wordy than they are already.

Also all the female party members and enemies would strike poses for no real reason if you point a camera at them.
And this is bad how? Its the formula that made Metal Gear great, who's to say with a little tweaking it wouldn't make a FF7 remake just as great. BTW i'm looking at this from a financial viewpoint cause I never cared for the FF series.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
i like 6 more than 7 and would love a remake with shinier graphics but i just dont see anything good coming from it. hell an anime like this with this art style would be better. [spoiler/][/spoiler]

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Polock said:

Considering their attempt with FF13, I would have to agree that it might be a bad idea. They would seriously have to stick to what made FF7 good.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
Considering Square's financial position, that's a REALLY bad idea.
Really? I thought it would be the exact opposite. What with the tonnes of FFVII fans that have been wanting a remake for years. Seems like a good way for them to make back money. As long as it stays a remake and not a reboot.

OT: I could have sworn that they said they were never going to remake FFVII? Especially after they did that Tech Demo.