Hideo Kojima Tells Square-Enix to Remake FF7

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
honestly it would be nice to see a remake, but the chances of it being done well at this point are not favorable, if they just touched it up, high poly models, high res textures, more detail into the world. Keep the perspective the way it is, no need to go messing with that unless they really know what they're doing, and for the love of god, don't touch the gameplay.. to the huge FFVII fans its almost sacred.

HAHA, hideo making FFVII... I would love to see that, when you die you would get 'cloud?.. CLOUD!?!?... CLOOOOOOUD!!?!?'

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I say go ahead and remake it... Honestly nothing else will shut the people up who are crying " REMAKE FFVII" and I could really use some silence from that camp.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
Why fix what isn't broken? Final Fantasy 7 should stay right where it is and be played by the fans who are desperate enough to play it. I have it for computer (and it took 24 hours to programme it to my Vista, thats how dedicated I am), and for good reason, and frankly a new one in this day and age with Square Enix would only mean that it would be so badly done that Square would lose everyone of their FF7 fans, and thats quite a bulk.

I say they would lose them because... come on, if they fuck up such a title with a bad remake, surely a worldwide evil syndicate would be formed to destroy Square Enix once and for all... And I would be at the head since they have been doing so badly lately.

I think all the excuses Square Enix has brought up thus far for the remake of FF7 are not true, I think they are scape goats because they are scared as hell they would lose all of their fans if they screw up. And how do you screw up you say? You become to innovative, and you get to many ideas, and it throws the game out of the idea and its no longer FF7.

FinalFreak16

Mar 23, 2010
For some reason I always think about one thing when it comes to an FF7 remake. HD Cloud in a dress.

I'm not sure if its a humorous image or a terrifying one. But i want to see it regardless lol.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Catchy Slogan said:
buy teh haloz said:
Considering Square's financial position, that's a REALLY bad idea.
Really? I thought it would be the exact opposite. What with the tonnes of FFVII fans that have been wanting a remake for years. Seems like a good way for them to make back money. As long as it stays a remake and not a reboot.

OT: I could have sworn that they said they were never going to remake FFVII? Especially after they did that Tech Demo.
I'm willing to bet that even if they went ahead to remake it, there would still be tons of fans that would be disappointed. And even then, Square is in a pretty bad shape in terms of finances.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109989-Square-Enix-Financials-Fall-Through-the-Floor

If I'm not mistaken, this has also led to games being cancelled as well.

In my opinion, they should focus on making a game that will be more cherished and remembered more fondly than FFVII. At least then, it'll at least prove that the whole "Japanese Games Industry is dying" argument is a load of shit.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
Catchy Slogan said:
buy teh haloz said:
Considering Square's financial position, that's a REALLY bad idea.
Really? I thought it would be the exact opposite. What with the tonnes of FFVII fans that have been wanting a remake for years. Seems like a good way for them to make back money. As long as it stays a remake and not a reboot.

OT: I could have sworn that they said they were never going to remake FFVII? Especially after they did that Tech Demo.
I'm willing to bet that even if they went ahead to remake it, there would still be tons of fans that would be disappointed. And even then, Square is in a pretty bad shape in terms of finances.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109989-Square-Enix-Financials-Fall-Through-the-Floor

If I'm not mistaken, this has also led to games being cancelled as well.

In my opinion, they should focus on making a game that will be more cherished and remembered more fondly than FFVII. At least then, it'll at least prove that the whole "Japanese Games Industry is dying" argument is a load of shit.
Hmm. You do have a point. But I would like to state that there are always dissapointed fans. ;P

And I agree it would be nice to see something new.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
John Funk said:
That said, now I'm wondering what a FF7 remake would look like if Kojima had a hand in making it.

It's kind of a disturbing mental image.
Disturbing? Or the sexiest piece of gaming ever made?

OT: This is hilarious. Kojima's PR is top notch from what I hear about him and his Twits. Or is it Tweets? What's a Twitter's Twittering called again?
I feel old now. V_V

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I don't think they should.

They should make something of the quality of FF7, but re-making it would kill its memory.
This man deserves the prize.

Seriously. If by 'remake' they mean 'just add new graphics'... well thats not really a game. And if they mean 'change in many respects' its not FF7.

Personally I HATED FF7 (I was a Shining Force man...boy... whatever) but regardless of my personal tastes its a big deal, and it'll be piddling on a lot of people to do either form of remake.

I wanna see people make new games, and hopefully new properties that are as good and certainly give you as much to interact with as old games.

KaizokuouHasu

May 19, 2011
Polock said:
In my opinion, it would be a bad move to remake it.

Then again, there are A LOT of FF7 fans out there...
I would actually warmly greet a remake of FF7, for the same reason I am looking forward to the remake of Shadow of the Colossus and Ico. We're talking about releasing an already existing story, but using much improved technological tools. I don't think you can go very wrong there, unless of course people will buy it for the turn-based nostalgia and polygons...

The question is; what would they be changing if the remade it? I for one would like to see some plot-holes addressed, and I'd also like an ending that gives more closure. Maybe they could reference the movie Advent Children instead of having Red XIII running with puppies behind him (which I didn't like, since I never used the poor thing). While they're at it; make the world map seem less... desolate.

I can see why people would be sceptical though. Caution is advised.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I was hoping Wada and Nomura would retort with "How 'bout you remake Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 then?"

and also
"Don't be a fag, Kojima"

duktapeman90

Fhqwhgads
Aug 16, 2009
Whether or not an FFVII remake could be any good or not is irrelevant. From a purely fiscal standpoint, it'd be retarded not to, given the shear number of fans demanding an HD remake. I sure as hell would buy it.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Man, FF7 was my favorite FF game with the battle system, materia system, story... It'd probably be the biggest risk/reward project SE could take on. But the potential reward would be massive...

The biggest obstacle would have to be voice acting. But I always though that Square did a good job with the voice acting. Sometimes the characters themselves were stupid or annoying but you already have good characters in FF7. Now you just need voices to them...

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Dr. McD said:
Braedan said:
The only way I could seem them actually making a remake of FF7 would be to make a version similar to how Cave Story 3d is being made. Same perspective, and size, but with shiner graphics. I mean, that's what people are asking for right? If they completely re-did it, it wouldn't be FF7...
I agree with this, but I think if they were to do anything they should change the gameplay to involve the player more, (Jimquisition addressed this here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/3230-The-Weird-is-Not-Enough) and I don't think Final Fantasy VII would hold up with just the graphics update, but leave the story the same. FFVII's strength wasn't it's gameplay anyway.
Yeah I've never played a JRPG that had game-play as a big feature, it usually just sits there to separate the good bits.