Hideo Kojima Tells Square-Enix to Remake FF7

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
You know what, Hideo Kojima? If you have the time and resources and think it can be done reasonably, and can keep your auteur hands off of it... then YOU remake Final Fantasy 7. Square said they just don't have the time, but I bet they'd let you work on it if you asked them... and agreed to port it properly, with any "improvements" being approved by Wada and Nomura.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Remake? Nah wouldn't work. Maybe a continuation of the story...I'd like that.

Keep in mind, FF7 was a bit less flashier than they made Advent childern... FF7 had no anime bouncing off walls ninja moves going on.

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
duktapeman90 said:
Whether or not an FFVII remake could be any good or not is irrelevant. From a purely fiscal standpoint, it'd be retarded not to, given the shear number of fans demanding an HD remake. I sure as hell would buy it.
I'd have to take issue with that.

The kind of people who want an HD remake are loud, basement dwelling, and largely have poor hygiene. The important one of these is the first. They are LOUD. They are not a majority. Yes FF7 sold a lot of copies, but how many of those people are coming back for another full priced bite of the cherry for the same game ?

A game which has no multiplayer, which has no other really obvious DLC or microcharge income, which practically everyone who is interested in playing has already completed multiple times (ie which has little genuine re-playability for the non-hardcore). That is a tough sell.

Add to that the mountain of development cost, considering how much of ff7 there is to remake compared to the vast majority of games now, and you aren't looking at a sure fire win. Oh and if you don't get it PERFECT, you lose any shred of credibility that the property had left.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I liked FF7, but I wouldn't want to see it re-made because I hate re-makes on principle.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Though I've always been in favor of a remake of FF 7 (and FF6 only moreso),once Kojima says he wants it to happen i have to wonder. I mean, this is the guy that made the last half of MGS2 a highly unfunny joke (Whining girlfriend to name just one of the many offenses) and then inflicted Snake Eater on me with its fussy item management garbage that took more fun out of gaming than even Bobby Kotick could do in his wildest dreams. As for MGS 4....i don't know, Kojima killed the franchise for me with the previous 2 games, but i heard rumors about the cutscenes...

So yeah if Kojima suggests it, there must be a really good reason not to do it.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I think that it would definitely help Square Enix's image right now. FF13 had decent critical response but a very mixed fan response- that and to my knowledge FF14 is still pretty buggy and horrendous by MMO standards. The ports of the older FF games are going pretty well, but I think they could use a good boost right now, publishing Deus Ex:HR is something but that's not really helping confidence in the company's ability to develop.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
John Funk said:
That said, now I'm wondering what a FF7 remake would look like if Kojima had a hand in making it.

It's kind of a disturbing mental image.
The internet to the rescue! I'd imagine it looking kinda like this, with some homoerotic undertones between cloud and SissySephiroth.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Well Kingdom Hearts apparently was born from an elevator conversation between SE and Disney bosses, so why the fuck not?
I actually want Nomura to speed up on FFvsXIII and later... remake FFVIII! Just to piss Spoony off.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
FF7 isn't the game that everyone is amazed about. Honestly, go replay it. I understand why it was amazing back in the day, however it's kinda just average now. I dunno about anyone else but i hated cloud, and everyone else was boring.

However i'm not saying that it wouldn't be boughten. Totally would, my brother who doesn't live at my house anymore would probably buy it and take it over to my house and play it.

Oh and was I the only person who despised aeris?

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
Tiswas said:
Can we have remakes of V and VI on the DS as promised first?
6 has been remade on the ds (or psp... think it was ds though) i think. I played it last year.

CyprisVeil

Jan 20, 2011
I'm torn between lulz/excitement, lulz/dread, and lulz/uncertaintity. Um...but while we're at it, why is the Zelda comment a bad thing?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
As someone who annually will replay FFVII, I have no life, I'll say the only thing in the game I'm not a fan of are the graphics. Coincidentally with the release of FFXIII square-enix told all of us the only thing they are good at anymore is graphics.

How many fanboys, myself included, had a nerdgasm back when sony showed off the opening of FFVII for PS3? Saying, "if we were going to make it, it would look like this."

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
crimsonshrouds said:
i like 6 more than 7 and would love a remake with shinier graphics but i just dont see anything good coming from it. hell an anime like this with this art style would be better. [spoiler/][/spoiler]
That... made me smile SO MUCH. :D

OT: I always dream for a proper FF7 remake. But proof positive that Square-Enix is not SquareSoft, lay in their most recent JRPGs. I maintain that part of their failure here is cultural, but also part flawed game design. A retreading of FF7 grounds would likely see many of the same tropes that we as a gaming culture frowned on in the first place.

And then part of me is left wondering... are they just scared to remake FF7? They gave a valid excuse, but it still reeked of excuse (meaning it stank). Do they know they're not as good as the old team that created the 7th title? It would terrify me to try to remake what many of that day felt was one of the greatest FF Titles of that era. Next to FF6, it's certainly on the top 2 (for me). Hmm.

Pots

Oct 9, 2007
crimsonshrouds said:
i like 6 more than 7 and would love a remake with shinier graphics but i just dont see anything good coming from it. hell an anime like this with this art style would be better. [spoiler/][/spoiler]
No need to remake VI it looks and plays fine. VII on the other hand has the worst graphics out of all the Final Fantasy games and because of that is the only reason I would even say to remake it.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Dora said:
Yeah, that's what we need. More remakes. Forget creativity, just throw money at older properties! People are magpies who like shiny, familiar things!
Well look what creativity did to Square Enix recently. They've lost 148 million dollars thanks to crappy original IPs. Hell, The upcoming FF14 is responsible for almost half of that loss. An FF7 remake would provide them with the money they need to not be a massive sinking ship right now. As I see it SqEnix is going to have another brush with bankruptcy soon, just like they did when the poured that massive amount of money into Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Sony had to bail them out of that colossal mess up.

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Dora said:
Yeah, that's what we need. More remakes. Forget creativity, just throw money at older properties! People are magpies who like shiny, familiar things!
Well look what creativity did to Square Enix recently. They've lost 148 million dollars thanks to crappy original IPs. Hell, The upcoming FF14 is responsible for almost half of that loss. An FF7 remake would provide them with the money they need to not be a massive sinking ship right now. As I see it SqEnix is going to have another brush with bankruptcy soon, just like they did when the poured that massive amount of money into Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Sony had to bail them out of that colossal mess up.
Making more Final Fantasy games isn't creativity. It's time to bury that franchise. Maybe if they let their talent move in new directions they'd have a hit.