Hideo Kojima Tells Square-Enix to Remake FF7

lilmizzazle

Aug 11, 2010
i would purchase a remake of FF7. i started to play the original version of it and i really loved it, never got to finish it though, but i think real voices, cut scenes and improved graphics would motivate me to really finish it! i am ashamed to say that the graphics really did get a little bit on my nerves, but i started playing it after i had finished crysis.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
Hideo Kojima making a Final Fantasy game... 4th wall breaking tutorials, constantly lecturing about how war is bad while your character kills hundreds of people, oh and a stealth suit materia. I would mention a nonsensical yet predictable story but Sqeenix already does this without Kojima's help.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
Honestly FF 6's super deformed aesthetics hold up better than the whole horrible popeye arms and lack of faces of FF7. The Early PS1/32 bit and N64/64 bit era though are among the worst aged games in gaming history in terms of looks as it was the first major stab at 3D graphics. I think a remake would make it servicable as it looks horrible by todays standards. (whoever don't fix what isn't broken...no it was broken from day one.) Now FF 8 doesn't need a HD over haul as it was rather pretty for its time...it's story and gameplay are where it sucked hard.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
To all the guys who say they would rather see 6 remade: ...Why don't they just remake both 6 AND 7? Make everyone happy that way!

crimsonshrouds said:
i like 6 more than 7 and would love a remake with shinier graphics but i just dont see anything good coming from it. hell an anime like this with this art style would be better. [spoiler/][/spoiler]
They already did a one-shot anime OVA for Final Fantasy 7 called Last order. I can honestly see 6 working as an anime...as long as they get to work on making Final Fantasy 7 an anime RIGHT after they're done with 6. And then 8, then 9....and then they end it there before they get into the bad games.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
John Funk said:
That said, now I'm wondering what a FF7 remake would look like if Kojima had a hand in making it.

It's kind of a disturbing mental image.
Everyone you meet would be sitting on a springy duck with a serious expression.

Scratch that, a springy duck Metal Gear.... Metal Gear Duck!

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
Dora said:
Yeah, that's what we need. More remakes. Forget creativity, just throw money at older properties! People are magpies who like shiny, familiar things!
Well look what creativity did to Square Enix recently. They've lost 148 million dollars thanks to crappy original IPs. Hell, The upcoming FF14 is responsible for almost half of that loss. An FF7 remake would provide them with the money they need to not be a massive sinking ship right now. As I see it SqEnix is going to have another brush with bankruptcy soon, just like they did when the poured that massive amount of money into Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Sony had to bail them out of that colossal mess up.
Honestly I think that FF7 would be a lot more of a financial risk than you think. First off, you're talking about probably a years development time, minimum. Sure, that's faster than a lot of games these days, but it's still a colossal task to just make a game. There isn't a single line of code that you can just pull from the original. You have to make EVERYTHING from new. All you have is a the script and an outline of events, which while I grant you saves some time, that is not the big deal in terms of man hours. So its going to take a long ass time to do. FF7 is a big game, and you have to make everything all over again. Next up you have to deal with a full sequence of QA, not just to make sure that it works, but that its actually still worth playing. If you change anything you get bitched at, even if its retarded.

So, they can't start to recoup anything for a long time. Next up, all that development costs money. A lot of money. If you want high quality voice acting and such like, well you have to pay for it. FF7 has a LOT of dialog. This takes a lot of investment to see through, a LOT.

Finally, you have a finished product sitting on shelves for 50 bucks.

How many people are going to actually buy that ? Now yes, you can assume a decent level of sales from the nostalgia crowd, but SqNix don't need decent, they need a VAST seller. The vast majority of people who seriously give a damn already have the PSN version of FF7, and though you'll still get sales, not to the same degree you might want. Next up, you have the regular gamer crowd who haven't played FF7 since the new millennium. How many of them are going to buy a game that advertisers itself as being 'exactly the same' as one they played over ten years ago ? Add to that the lack of anything new (ie multilayer, extra ANYTHING to make it worthwhile) and you have what looks like a pretty anemic title in this day and age, even more so if you completed it first time.

Basically what I'm saying is that while a remake would guarantee a million or so sales, SqNix need ten times that for it to be genuinely worth it, and tbh I don't even know if there are enough PS3s to make that happen. For a PS3 only title, it would probably be on killzone 2 levels (2mil) and while that might make them a few bucks that doesn't help them.

All that assumes that they actually don't get crapped on by every reviewer on the internet (not just Yahtzee) for screwing it up and destroying everyone's dreams, which TBH I think is a near certainty no matter what they do. Looking back, everyone loves FF7 with nostalgia glasses on. In practice, even a perfect remake is going to remind them that even for its time ff7 was not a great innovator.

Basically, its a BIG risk to do it. Similar stuff has generally not succeeded, or at least not to a huge degree. There's a remake of HL in the HL2 source engine, and of Doom in the Doom 3 engine. Both of which are pretty damn awesome but not particularly popular or commercially viable.

If there was a time to do this it was 2007 on the anniversary. It would be a job for a small team to release in chapters via PSN over the course of a year or so, and charging say $15 bucks for the whole thing. Keep most everything the same (ie the same code), just update the battle sequences and higher res sprites for the rest. People would buy that. Hell I might buy that if I had a PS3. But a proper remake would be definitely a bigger gamble than SqNix are in a position to take atm.

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Oh, what now to insist this doesn't ;prove new franchises aren't the solution, are you going to insist that The Last Remnant is really just a sequel to a game from the MX2?
Nope. I never played that. I'm not saying making an original game will unleash a splooge of amazingness. I'm just saying remakes aren't the solution. They're cheap cashgrabs. A lot of companies drop a lot of stinkers on original titles, but that doesn't mean they should give up, go back and rehash older stuff.

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
Dora said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Oh, what now to insist this doesn't ;prove new franchises aren't the solution, are you going to insist that The Last Remnant is really just a sequel to a game from the MX2?
Nope. I never played that. I'm not saying making an original game will unleash a splooge of amazingness. I'm just saying remakes aren't the solution. They're cheap cashgrabs. A lot of companies drop a lot of stinkers on original titles, but that doesn't mean they should give up, go back and rehash older stuff.
Exactly. Remakes are admitting that you have no ideas, particularly when that remake doesn't actually add a whole lot of anything.

SC2 was a in practical terms a remake of SC (so similar that it makes no odds), but they added plenty of new units and mechanics and had its own story, and so its a great 'new' game.

If you just change the graphics, then its just meh. I bet ya that if they added or changed anything in an FF7 remake, or if they made a direct sequel, people would HATE them for breaking it. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't, and thats why they shouldn't do it.

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
Carlston said:
Keep in mind, FF7 was a bit less flashier than they made Advent childern... FF7 had no anime bouncing off walls ninja moves going on.
You just reminded me of the Twin Snakes remake of the original Metal Gear Solid. Every cutscene was extended by about 5 minutes because Snake didn't just dodge to the left or right to escape a bullet as he did previously, he now had to do fifteen backflips and a a couple of cartwheels instead.

I imagine a Final Fantasy 7 remake would get the same treatment, although after watching Advent Children that wouldn't be a bad thing - unlike Snake feeling the need to complete an entire gymnastic routine in a room filled with tripwires attached several blocks of C4.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I'd Prefer a new story in that world rather than a remake. I mean if you want the remake you've played it enough to not need the remake.

I mean you change some of the characters around and put some monster hunting missions and other stuff set years ahead or behind the original story and everything would be golden.

Which begs to wonder why it's even called FF7 aside from keeping the numerical sequence going even though its a wholly different world than the other games in general.

Or maybe squares more content on doing sequels for games people didn't enjoy as much. A 13 sequel did you not hear the rage from the fanbase.

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
They don't have any ideas. Tnat doesn't mean they should just keep putting out shit, they should put out something people actually like.
Well... yes. I'm not sure if that means you think they should put out FF7 again or not tho...

Personally, I think that they shouldn't do it even if certain loud mouthed subsets of the internet would like it.

Games companies have always been strongly averse to what amounts to fan service, because when they do release that stuff it turns out that very few people will put their hands in their pockets and pay for it. Particularly with FF7, their fans are a lot fewer than I think people imagine, but they are disproportionately visible.

It's folly to take what amounts to a massive step backwards in development just because some people will like it. If MILLIONS of people will like it... sure. But in terms of FF7, it would basically be a) admitting everything they have done in over a decade was crap, and b) the company being hold hostage by notoriously capricious and incredibly hard to please internet fans.

Once you do something like that, you are on a slippery slope of never being able to anything new ever again. Thats why developers don't listen to anything the fans have to say while they are developing. What seems like a good idea at the time to the nerds (ie the only people who both being on the developers forums before the game is even released) seldom translates into an enjoyable experience for all.

Hell, thats why practical all games are 'dumbed down' now for the casual gamers, because they need stuff to accessible to everyone. Sure some things might be like by us forum dwelling hardcore guys, but we amount to about 1% of their sales and what we like is near certain to alienate anyone else. 'Like' is a seriously subjective thing I'm afraid, and since nerds are probably the least likely to actually spend money on games anyway (either ignoring games we don't like or pirating them) and then can be counted on to ***** on the internet about how awful the game is anyway and put off other people. To succeed, developers have a strong incentive to ignore what we would like.

Theirs a reason why angry birds is the most successful game ever in absolute terms y'know...

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Dora said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Clearly this means your rules were made without any thought. Every sequel SE makes is reviled. Every original franchise they make is complete shit. Their remakes, however, continue to actually be liked, gaining high review scores as well as making cash. So in essence, your little "rule" about remakes being bad is completely idiotic and not based in any way, shape or form in the real world.
Haha, wow, settle down. I didn't make any rules, I just offered my opinion. You know, that thing everyone has? I never said all remakes are bad, either. (But I've never seen one I thought was needed either.) I just said that in this case, I didn't think a remake was what Square needed because it wasn't going to solve their problems; namely, unoriginality, an aversion to anything that isn't a cookie-cutter proven hit, and bland formulas. Chill out. Not everyone agrees on the internets.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Okay, really? I get why they want to do it but of all the things Square needs to do, remake the their most overrated game ever is pointless. Sure, I might play it but it really has no reason to exist other than to say "Hey everyone, look, remember how much you liked this?"

No, what I want is a goddamn release date for Kingdom Hearts III and FFXIII Versus.
After that, then maybe think about the FF VII remake.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Would it suck? Probably. Would it make money? Definitely.

Square Enix NEEDS money these days. They are in all sorts of shit right now.

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
Custard_Angel said:
Would it suck? Probably. Would it make money? Definitely.

Square Enix NEEDS money these days. They are in all sorts of shit right now.
The only way it would sell lots is if it was cheap (ie making up for it not actually being anything new), and thats a problem for a multi-million dollar development process. If they sold it at 50 bucks a time and sold as many as gran turismo, then sure, they'd make money.

But if it costs that much, it won't sell that many. Games are expensive and the only people who would care much have already completed it five times over. That's gunna put people off.

Alternatively, they have to cut price, and while that means more sales, it also means much less profit.

Yes, it would sell, but these are tough times for all of us, and I think a lot of people who have 50 bucks to spend on a new game would prefer to actually get a new game from it.

If people want to play FF7 (raise your hand if you get that urge frequently btw) then they can just go do that now for ten bucks on PSN (which has not had the suggested millions of sales btw). I don't see how new graphics suddenly makes it worth any more than that, or wanted by any more people.