Hideo Kojima Tells Square-Enix to Remake FF7

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
How about dropping the idea to Square that perhaps they could earn a bit of cash by doing a minor collaboration with Nintendo again. Remember how well that used to work for them? I'm not saying much. But how about letting some constraints get a bit soft, eh? Maybe bring up a new Secret of Mana? Or how about bringing Geno back from Super Mario RPG? Throw in a game of the quality of FFVII without ruining the original with a remake that belittles the nostalgia of the first, and you've got yourself a bit of cash, boys. Fans would love you again. Nothing wrong with that, eh?

Satosuke

Dec 18, 2007
If they do, let me know if Kojima's hired to direct it. Otherwise, I'll refer to my new apple device, the iDon'tcare.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
ehhh, less popular titles have been remade. Anyone remember the Xbox remake of Conker's Bad Fur Day? Basically the same thing there, and with way less people clamoring for its creation. If that game made money, then I'm pretty sure a remake of Final Fantasy VII would make enough money to be worth the effort.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I say make a remake of all PS FF games. Well...I guess that's just 7, 8 and 9, but that would be good anyway! To remake ALL FFs would be a hassle (Though we would all love it) and to be honest, yes, most FF fans out there LOVE FF7. Personally, FF8 is my favorite and FF7 is my least favorite. But ignoring my personal opinion, a FF7 remake would get Square Enix back on its feet. Aren't they complaining about how much they suck? Well, release FF7 and KH3D/3! Kojima has the right idea; there's plenty to do/get money from but if they keep poking their nose and coming up with new games that no one likes/wants/needs, then I'm sorry Square Enix, but as much as I love you, you're gonna die. You're in no position to take a gamble with new, unheard of games (Yeah, I know that's how FF originated but let's not push their luck. Those were different times).

Seriously, I say they focus on FF and KH and THEN they can focus on some other games. Because what they need now is a miracle to stay afloat.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Didnt Hideo remake one of the MGS games successfully?
I think they should remake FF7 just to end people asking for it.
If they release it for the 360, I might even try it.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
rekabdarb said:
Tiswas said:
Can we have remakes of V and VI on the DS as promised first?
6 has been remade on the ds (or psp... think it was ds though) i think. I played it last year.
Nope. Only III & IV are on the DS.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
Personally, I don't think that FFVII should be "remade" as a fan of the series I can say one thing for certain. THE ACTIVE TIME COMBAT SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK IN THIS CONSOLE GENERATION! And that's where any remake of FFVII will go wrong.

Has anyone else noticed that in FFXII and FFXIII the waiting time was too long? In XII in particular I could run three laps around an enemy before I got in one attack. And..... well XIII didn't really have gameplay but those cutscenes took too long to load!

But of course a remake of VII would be hopelessly lost without the ATB, right? So there's really no winning with the fans of the series. But at the same time, fans of FFVII are a gullible lot, I mean, I paid for Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, AND Advent Children Complete so CLEARLY Square is just sitting on a goldmine.

Even if it sucked, making a remake of FFVII would certainly increase sales. Or really anything in compilation VII would get money. Personally, I want to know what happens after Dirge of Cerberus. It was a massive cliffhanger and they haven't even said whether there would be another game or not.

I hope the paragraphs encourage reading and seperating the imposing text wall. I'd like to SEE a FFVII remake, but I think they'd have to scratch the whole gameplay to make it work (Provided they don't just upgrade the character models and re-release it.), but doing so would provoke fan rage. So doing so is a lose-lose-ka-ching situation.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I don't know why squenix is so afraid of money. An FF7 remake would sell huuuuuge. Also, I find it funny that every single kojima related story on the escapist I've seen has been accompanied by that picture.

Hypertion

May 10, 2011
just make a multi Disc CG movie version using the same improvements as the tech demo and i would be happy with just that.

BEWARE WALL OF TEXT! READ MY RAMBLINGS AT YOUR OWN RISK...

While the first FF game i played was a few moments of 8 a friend brought over once the first game i owned was 10. that same friend then brought over 7 and let me borrow it for a bit to let me play it through. not much later i bought 7 for myself and i still think its one of the best games i have played story wise. that tech demo was effectively a slap in the face with a truck to me but at least i wont have to buy a PS3 to play the remake. on that note and revisiting my thing with a CG movie version, WHY NOT? i would love to be able to revisit those memory's in a way that does the memory s justice. also why not 8, and 9? the whole PS1 era of FF was probably the best we will get in terms of story. IMO the PS2 era somewhat fell short in comparison except maybe certain bits of 10. 13 was... ok at least tho alot of the characters (in fact all of them pretty much) were pretty much unlikable. im curious where 15 will end up in rank compared to the others and i hope a port of 6 will come out on something i can play it on. I hear great things about Kelfksahtheclownwhosenameicantspell. if your eyes haven't bricked by now i congratulate you.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Well, if they just clean the graphics up it's not like it's the end of the world or anything

plus a heck of a lot of people are growing up having not actually played that game and don't want to track down original copies or bother to pirate it

plus the original rendering is horrible to look at on a modern screen (although some of it has a bit of charm to it, it's nothing that I would really "miss")

overall I am cool with scenes being entirely led by choppy miming because a lot of it was done for comedic exaggeration and the rest was just because they couldn't really make any kind of facial expression but would you buy a game made today that did that

hell, I couldn't even recognize the treasure chests for a good while because they just looked like gold colored blocks that they placed far into the background where you have to squint to make them out

honestly if fanboy whining didn't stop the first six games from being remade (some of them more than once) I don't see how it would prevent them from continuing up the chain there

the strongest argument that I have against remaking this game is that I don't want to have to grind for knights of the round/omnislash AGAIN I mean good lord man didn't you already get enough of that the first time through

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Polock said:
In my opinion, it would be a bad move to remake it.

Then again, there are A LOT of FF7 fans out there...
Well, that depends on a lot of things. If by "remake" they decide to "re-imagine" or "re-boot" it, then of course that's a terrible idea. The big nightmare would be if you heard "well don't expect this to be like the first time around, all kinds of new things have been added to expand the story, and make it tie in better to the spin offs, prequels and sequels and....". What you would need is a literal remake and technological update of the original classic with the same pacing, dialogue, easter egges (even if dated) and similar things throughout the game. Similar to how when there was a remake of "psycho" despite mixed reviews the guy doing it apparently reproduced the original down to the exact second, making sure that the scenes took the same amount of time, the dialoge was the same and delivered with the same timing, etc... at least according to what I was reading. That's the kind of remake they would need to do with "Final Fantasy VII". Anything else would amount to a massive failure. Of course then again that's pretty much the kind of project that a lot of developers want to avoid, one problem with old media and developers, is that everyone wants to make their own mark on it, and that's usually not a good idea. The problem with a lot of super hero movies for example is that people typically want to see the character, not the writer/director/sandwich go-fers "epic re-imagining" of the franchise. Even with the original staff all the ideas they "wished they could have done" need to stay out of a remake, because the original succeded without them, and just because some writer might have really wanted to have a romantic sub-plot between Barret and Cait-Sith, doesn't mean that this would have improved the product, or that people nowadays would go "wow, that's an incredible addition to the story... and I put the commemorative barf tray from the collector's edition tgo great use watching the associated 'no punches pulled' sado-seduction scene FMV, where did you guys come up with the idea for all those hand attachment... ugh gotta go, stomach clenching up again due to thinking about it... still great job...".

Basically it's an idea I support, providing they did it right and everyone, including the original creators, could manage to restrain the impulse to change anything, other than updating the technology and graphics.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
For a few reasons, a Final Fantasy VII remake is a bad idea. Considering the time table we were given before the tsunami and how much of a hit they've taken because of it, putting such time and effort into it now when it could be put into other games that might get them back on their feet, it could just as easily finish them as it could save them.

On the other hand, there's already a exceptionally large fan base behind it that seems to be doubling as a driving force. Hence, if it's done right, it could be very well received. If it's done right. And there's plenty of reason to think it might not be. They took a big hit from the tsunami. And we're right back at square one.

Wolfy4226

Sep 22, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
Considering Square's financial position, that's a REALLY bad idea.
Wait, why?...I mean, it has to cost less to remake a game than to make an entirely new one, so therefore, they would actually have more to gain from remaking it than not, wouldn't they?

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
You know what is the biggest problem every time the topic of a Final Fantasy VII remake is brought up? It is statements such as these:

FinalFreak16 said:
For some reason I always think about one thing when it comes to an FF7 remake. HD Cloud in a dress.

I'm not sure if its a humorous image or a terrifying one. But i want to see it regardless lol.
duktapeman90 said:
Whether or not an FFVII remake could be any good or not is irrelevant. From a purely fiscal standpoint, it'd be retarded not to, given the shear number of fans demanding an HD remake. I sure as hell would buy it.
immovablemover said:
Square Enix are currently in a bit of trouble when it comes to successful games releases, The final fantasy series is also victim of this decline; Remaking FF7 would likely, if only temporarily, remedy this situation.

And I believe they could do it quite well, regardless of how rose-tinted memories are precious to people. A Modern graphics remake, with good voice acting and an updated combat system (something akin to what they're putting in FFvs13) could, IMO, bring FF7 into the modern generation - Keeping what made the game great (The story, the setting, the characters) whilst updating bits which don't really stand up today (the lack of voices, the midi soundtrack, the pathetic origami 3D, the slow slow slow combat).
newwiseman said:
As someone who annually will replay FFVII, I have no life, I'll say the only thing in the game I'm not a fan of are the graphics. Coincidentally with the release of FFXIII square-enix told all of us the only thing they are good at anymore is graphics.

How many fanboys, myself included, had a nerdgasm back when sony showed off the opening of FFVII for PS3? Saying, "if we were going to make it, it would look like this."
Let me pose a question. Assuming Square Enix decides to remake this game, what makes you think it is going to get remade on an HD home console?

People have talked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98084-FF13-Producer-Explains-Why-FF7-Remake-is-Unlikely] extensively [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/7652-Experienced-Points-The-Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-is-a-Fantasy] why an HD remake would be unfeasible. The manpower and resources it would require would be more than Square Enix would be capable of providing, especially in their current financial situation. There's a reason why they don't make games like this anymore and there is a reason why XIII ended up being such a corridor-fest; trying to do so would drive you to bankruptcy long before you would even manage to complete it (or the sales would never be good enough to recuperate the massive costs).

Furthermore, there isn't even a precedent here. Square Enix hasn't made a home console remake since the PlayStation era (you know, back when FF7 was new) and all of their remakes in the past few years have been on portable systems.

I am not saying a Final Fantasy VII remake isn't going to happen. Infact, I think chances are good that it will. Just don't get your hopes up that it will be remade on an HD platform. Infact, if anything, a handheld remake is much more likely (at least on something like the PSP or 3DS; I am not sure about NGP, since we don't know how costly it is to develop for the platform). It would still be very expensive, mind you, but at least it would be feasible for Square Enix to develop it without having to break the bank in the process.

Besides, does an FF7 remake even need cutting edge technology? Even remaking it with late PSX/PS2 era graphics would be a massive improvement over the original's visuals. Plus, since modern handhelds are quite advanced technologically, a handheld remake would probably still include all the bells and whistles fans seem to be clamouring for (aside from HD visuals, obviously).

Thedek said:
Me to, I enjoyed 7 when it came out, but always thought 6 was much better. For one most of the characters are ADULTS! The only one who angsts can't remember anything and was a slave her whole life anyway, and then she isn't that bad and gets over it.
Em....most of the characters in 7 are adults too. Infact, by the time of the events in the game, the only protagonist who hasn't reached adulthood would be Yuffie....and she is a secret character. Not to mention that Relm, Strago's granddaughter and one of the protagonists from 6, is younger than anyone from the FF7 cast.

Also, at least as far as Cloud is concerned, I never really considered his attitude to be "angst". It always seemed more like PTSD to me, which would also fit with the game's storyline.

rekabdarb said:
6 has been remade on the ds (or psp... think it was ds though) i think. I played it last year.
Whatever it is that you played, it most definitely wasn't a VI remake...especially since VI was never remade. It was III and IV that were remade for the DS (IV and its sequel, The After Years, was also remade for the PSP).

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
immovablemover said:
Tom Phoenix said:
Let me pose a question. Assuming Square Enix decides to remake this game, what makes you think it is going to get remade on an HD home console?
Why do we think that, if SE remakes the game, they're going to make it a modern remake? Because thats the only option with any sense in it and its the only option anyone would give a shit about...and because the first thing that sparked rumors of a HD remake was SE showcasing the opening sequence of FF7 in HD.

Nobody is asking for a half-arsed hand held remake, especially since you can already get FF7 on the PSP and on that tiny screen it doesn't look so bad and isn't THAT far removed from the quality of hand held games.

No, what people want, what would sell like crazy, would be a final fantasy 7 for the modern age. FF7 is dear to many people, its one of the most notoriously well liked games in history, SE would be lacerating their own balls by doing anything less than remaking it as best as they possibly could.

Besides, you seem to of stepped into the wrong conversation. This isn't about what we think is going to happen; this is about what we want.
Square Enix making an HD tech demo does not mean that they intend (or can even afford to) remake the entire game in that fashion. That tech demo was supposed to be a homage, not an implication that a remake was coming. Square Enix has already stated as such.

Also, what makes you think that a handheld remake would be "half-arsed"? Just beacuse it isn't on a home console doesn't mean it would be a bad or a "unworthy" remake. Final Fantasy III was remade for the DS and it sold like hotcakes. And modern handhelds are capable of far more than the "origami" style 3D that FF7 used. Both the PSP and 3DS are quite capable of reproducing PS2 style graphics, which means they are actually more advanced that the original PlayStation was. So a handheld remake would still be far superior visually than the original FF7 was.

And why would Square Enix be "lacerating their own balls" by not remaking it with cutting edge technology? None of their previous remakes used cutting edge technology and they still sold very well. Infact, the entire point of the links I added in my post (assuming you even bothered to read them) was that Square Enix would be, as you put it, "lacerating their own balls" if they did try making an HD remake, since any potential benefits would be far outweighted by the monumental cost of such an endavour. Besides, most of the people that want an FF7 remake simply want one beacuse they want to see the game with models that aren't composed of geometrical shapes. You don't need "production values up the arse" to achieve that goal.

And yes, I am aware that some of you want an HD remake. That was the point of my post. Your wishes have no basis in reality and you are just setting yourself up for a disappointment.

KaizokuouHasu

May 19, 2011
What about Final Fantasy 9? That is my personal favourite because of how rich it was in variety. It didn't have an amazing ending, nor a final boss, but the game as a whole is still always going to have a warm spot in my heart.

Why are we only talking about Final Fantasy 7?