Hideo Kojima Tells Square-Enix to Remake FF7

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
I have to say it I have to say it I have to say it:

"JRPGs...have changed..."

You don't want Enix doing FFVII. Ever see a Trail of Blood [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiWV2KseKeo] going down a hallway like this? [http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/Douna/56088__468x_final-fantasy-xiii-extr.jpg] It just simply gives FFVII a great injustice! And I'm not even a big fan of it...at all.

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
A bad storyteller is asking another bad storyteller to remake a game with a mediocre-at-best story and questionable-at-best gameplay mechanics.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Dora said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Dora said:
Yeah, that's what we need. More remakes. Forget creativity, just throw money at older properties! People are magpies who like shiny, familiar things!
Well look what creativity did to Square Enix recently. They've lost 148 million dollars thanks to crappy original IPs. Hell, The upcoming FF14 is responsible for almost half of that loss. An FF7 remake would provide them with the money they need to not be a massive sinking ship right now. As I see it SqEnix is going to have another brush with bankruptcy soon, just like they did when the poured that massive amount of money into Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Sony had to bail them out of that colossal mess up.
Making more Final Fantasy games isn't creativity. It's time to bury that franchise. Maybe if they let their talent move in new directions they'd have a hit.
They have let their "talent" go in new directions. Look what happened. Neir, The Last Remnant, Star Ocean 4, MindJack and Infinite Undiscovery are all examples of SqEnix trying out new things. All of those games listed were extremely lackluster.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
LostAlone said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Dora said:
Yeah, that's what we need. More remakes. Forget creativity, just throw money at older properties! People are magpies who like shiny, familiar things!
Well look what creativity did to Square Enix recently. They've lost 148 million dollars thanks to crappy original IPs. Hell, The upcoming FF14 is responsible for almost half of that loss. An FF7 remake would provide them with the money they need to not be a massive sinking ship right now. As I see it SqEnix is going to have another brush with bankruptcy soon, just like they did when the poured that massive amount of money into Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Sony had to bail them out of that colossal mess up.
Honestly I think that FF7 would be a lot more of a financial risk than you think. First off, you're talking about probably a years development time, minimum. Sure, that's faster than a lot of games these days, but it's still a colossal task to just make a game. There isn't a single line of code that you can just pull from the original. You have to make EVERYTHING from new. All you have is a the script and an outline of events, which while I grant you saves some time, that is not the big deal in terms of man hours. So its going to take a long ass time to do. FF7 is a big game, and you have to make everything all over again. Next up you have to deal with a full sequence of QA, not just to make sure that it works, but that its actually still worth playing. If you change anything you get bitched at, even if its retarded.

So, they can't start to recoup anything for a long time. Next up, all that development costs money. A lot of money. If you want high quality voice acting and such like, well you have to pay for it. FF7 has a LOT of dialog. This takes a lot of investment to see through, a LOT.

Finally, you have a finished product sitting on shelves for 50 bucks.

How many people are going to actually buy that ? Now yes, you can assume a decent level of sales from the nostalgia crowd, but SqNix don't need decent, they need a VAST seller. The vast majority of people who seriously give a damn already have the PSN version of FF7, and though you'll still get sales, not to the same degree you might want. Next up, you have the regular gamer crowd who haven't played FF7 since the new millennium. How many of them are going to buy a game that advertisers itself as being 'exactly the same' as one they played over ten years ago ? Add to that the lack of anything new (ie multilayer, extra ANYTHING to make it worthwhile) and you have what looks like a pretty anemic title in this day and age, even more so if you completed it first time.

Basically what I'm saying is that while a remake would guarantee a million or so sales, SqNix need ten times that for it to be genuinely worth it, and tbh I don't even know if there are enough PS3s to make that happen. For a PS3 only title, it would probably be on killzone 2 levels (2mil) and while that might make them a few bucks that doesn't help them.

All that assumes that they actually don't get crapped on by every reviewer on the internet (not just Yahtzee) for screwing it up and destroying everyone's dreams, which TBH I think is a near certainty no matter what they do. Looking back, everyone loves FF7 with nostalgia glasses on. In practice, even a perfect remake is going to remind them that even for its time ff7 was not a great innovator.

Basically, its a BIG risk to do it. Similar stuff has generally not succeeded, or at least not to a huge degree. There's a remake of HL in the HL2 source engine, and of Doom in the Doom 3 engine. Both of which are pretty damn awesome but not particularly popular or commercially viable.

If there was a time to do this it was 2007 on the anniversary. It would be a job for a small team to release in chapters via PSN over the course of a year or so, and charging say $15 bucks for the whole thing. Keep most everything the same (ie the same code), just update the battle sequences and higher res sprites for the rest. People would buy that. Hell I might buy that if I had a PS3. But a proper remake would be definitely a bigger gamble than SqNix are in a position to take atm.
Well I'd say that an FF7 remake isn't as big a financial risk as you make it. FF14 actually accounts for over %30 of SqEnix's losses this year alone. And honestly, there are enough people in Japan alone who'd buy the remake to make it financially viable. Yes they can't use code from the original but to be quite honest that forces them to build the game with respect and not just a cash grab. And releasing it in chapters would be such a bad idea right now especially with the PSN just being attacked. I don't think the fans would accept a handheld remake like all the other FF remakes have gotten. Especially not with the art style they use for the DS versions.

What else can SqEnix do at this point. Their biggest franchise is killing them currently and any other game they develop themselves is garbage or a remake of FF on a handheld. And Hideo Kojima is by no means an idiot. His Metal Gear Series is just as old as Final Fantasy and has garnered him massive respect in the industry. When the one of the best video game directors/writers in the industry says you should remake the most critically acclaimed game in your series, and your company is losing money quickly, what would you do? They've had a massive amount of failed original IPs come out. MindJack anyone?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
KaizokuouHasu said:
What about Final Fantasy 9? That is my personal favourite because of how rich it was in variety. It didn't have an amazing ending, nor a final boss, but the game as a whole is still always going to have a warm spot in my heart.

Why are we only talking about Final Fantasy 7?
Because 7 is the most overall critically acclaimed and commercially successful in the series. It also aged horribly so a remake is due. See the problem with FF9 is it's story is unoriginal in it's themes. We saw the bandit falling for the princess story many times before FF9 came out. Same problem with FF6. We've seen the "timid but stupidly powerful hero gain the courage to take on the enemy" story arc. With an antagonist the essentially IS The Joker from Batman. FF7 is the most original game in the series. Also FF7 was the game that brought JRPGS to North America in a big way. Without FF7 we would not know about Tales of Symphonia.

Sean Heron

Aug 24, 2011
They've said if they remade it that it would take about 10 years, so it would skip next gen and would constantly have to change it to keep up with development, so we won't see it till the ps5 at least. Or if they remake it for a handheld it will bypas Vita altogether. It would be preferably for a handheld I think.