Hideo Kojima Will Finally Get The Award Konami Blocked Him From Receiving

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hideo Kojima Will Finally Get The Award Konami Blocked Him From Receiving

Last year, Hideo Kojima was banned from receiving an award for Metal Gear Solid V by his employer Konami. This year, he will finally get it.

At the 2015 Game Awards, Konami blocked legendary developer Hideo Kojima from receiving an award for Metal Gear Solid V. As Kojima left Konami [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142897-Kojima-Leaves-Konami] months later, we can only assume that his being blocked was one final, desperate, "fuck you" from the publisher that everyone loves to hate. This year, free from Konami, Kojima will finally receive the reward he rightly deserves.

Game Awards host Geoff Keighley tweeted the announcement today, stating that Kojima will finally be presented his "Industry Icon" award during this year's Game Awards ceremony.

As well as the Metal Gear Solid series, Kojima worked on titles such as Snatcher, Zone of the Enders, and Boktai during his stint at Konami. Since starting up his own independent studio, Kojima Productions, he has been hard at work on the enigmatic Death Stranding [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/death%20stranding].

You can tune in to The Game Awards here [http://thegameawards.com/] from December 1.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
You know how films have Golden Rasberry to "celebrate" the worst in films?

I sometimes think Game industry should have that as well..

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
mysecondlife said:

We can call them Golden Konami's.

And their shaped like shit.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Fox12 said:
mysecondlife said:

Worst Sequel
Worst Spin off
Worst blatant lies
Worst use of microtransactions
Worst case of preorder DLC's

More I think about it, more I realize this needs to be a thing because I sure as hell don't give a shit about Game of the Year, Most Anticipated Games, Trending Gamers, etc.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Better late than never, right? At least Kojima is finally getting his due, no thanks to the monkeys running Konami...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Is it weird that Kojima looks like he's holding a (Pachinko) ball?

A 'fuck you' to Ko-Pachinko-nami?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Glad to see Kojima will receive the award. He's certainly one of the few individuals I consider to be the game industry version of a rock star.

However, I can't help but feel like this didn't have to be done. It almost seems like rubbing salt in Konami's wound. Does the industry at large view Konami with disdain after the way they treated Kojima?

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
To me, a giant poster of Kojima holding the world in his hand is just a missed opportunity to have him holding the sun in his hand.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Fox12 said:
mysecondlife said:

They're turds shaped like konami's old logo.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Tanis said:

He's holding a round object, must be a stab at Pachinko eh? Seriously?

For reference, those little silver things there are Pachinko balls, tiny little balls that one wouldn't hold in the same way Kojima is holding that globe in the poster.

Come on, you're better than this.

As for the topic at hand... seems to me like they only give this award to him now because they have something to gain from it.

"Look, we, the Game Awards are supporting the popular victim, we are cool, please watch us, please".

Despicable exploitation of the situation by the people of the "Game Awards". You have an award show? Cool, keep the unveiling of the awards for the show, don't go around two weeks in advance parading Kojima & Konami's situation around for your personal gain and marketing.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Good to see this injustice repaired and fuck Konami and its pachinko ways.

Atratzu

Aug 14, 2016
Seems like the decent thing to do. Why Konami blocked him in the first place, I'll never understand.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Oh HELL yeah! Fuck Konami for blocking it.
Tanis said:

It looks like the Earth. He's got the whole world, in his hands...

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Atratzu said:
Seems like the decent thing to do. Why Konami blocked him in the first place, I'll never understand.
He takes the award and he will basically be blacklisted from the Japanese gaming development business. Konami will pull strings to make Kojima's post Konami career as miserable as they can legally. You think Kojima have it bad you should look at whomever pisses off the true media giants in Japan. They can blacklist you and there is basically nothing you can do without interferring with their Yakuza investors

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
bluegate said:
As for the topic at hand... seems to me like they only give this award to him now because they have something to gain from it.

"Look, we, the Game Awards are supporting the popular victim, we are cool, please watch us, please".

Despicable exploitation of the situation by the people of the "Game Awards". You have an award show? Cool, keep the unveiling of the awards for the show, don't go around two weeks in advance parading Kojima & Konami's situation around for your personal gain and marketing.
I'm suspicious of it as well, especially since the Game Awards were the ones not to issue the award in the first place. I know it's basically just a big marketing farce, but now I really wonder what they're pushing for.

Don't get me wrong, I do think the guy should get an award (funny sidenote: ZoE 2 substantially decreased my reaction time in everything I played after that), I'm just skeptical when anything industry related tries to go 'look what good people we are'

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
flying_whimsy said:
bluegate said:

I'm suspicious of it as well, especially since the Game Awards were the ones not to issue the award in the first place. I know it's basically just a big marketing farce, but now I really wonder what they're pushing for.

Don't get me wrong, I do think the guy should get an award (funny sidenote: ZoE 2 substantially decreased my reaction time in everything I played after that), I'm just skeptical when anything industry related tries to go 'look what good people we are'
No one should be in anyway enabling Konami at all. I am surprised there are people if barely sympathetic to Konami's practices.