Hideo Kojima's Making MGS5 Characters More "Erotic" For Cosplay

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Hideo Kojima's Making MGS5 Characters More "Erotic" For Cosplay

The upcoming Metal Gear installment's getting redesigned with cosplay in mind.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/375155310433820672]​

From the ability to stare at character's breasts during cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid 3 to the nude shower scene with a 14-year-old girl in [a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snatcher#English_version]Snatcher[/a], Hideo Kojima's games have a certain sexuality about them. While no Suda 51, the Metal Gear creator has always had a certain touch to his games that sets them apart from Western fare. With the upcoming Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is the works, Hideo's announced on his Twitter account that the characters are getting redesigned to be [a href=https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/375142332875558912]more erotic[/a] so that they'll cosplay better.

"I've been ordering to Yoji to make the character more erotic, and he did it well. Recently I've been making characters this way," the game designer [a href=https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/375142332875558912]Tweeted[/a]. [a href=https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/375142795779923968]Continuing[/a], he said "The initial target is to make u want to do cosplay or its figurine to sell well."

In particular, he mentioned Quiet, a mute, bikini-clad sniper. Apparently concerned that no one might show up at the Tokyo Game Show dressed as the character from the unreleased game, he decided to leak some additional hints about the character design via Twitter, but first after sexing up the design to make it more "cosplayable". In the end, he posted an example of [a href=https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/375207199468830720]his ideal cosplay[/a] for the character, complete with ripped pantyhose and leather thong.

Cosplayers are endowed with enough creativity and talent that they rarely require encouragement, and will dress up as anything, including inanimate objects. While the revealing costumes are the ones to usually make the headlines, "erotic" has never been a defining requirement of cosplay.

Source: [a href=https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN]Twitter[/a] via [a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/427756/kojima-wants-mgs-5-characters-to-be-more-erotic-to-encourage-cosplay/]CVG[/a]

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
ccdohl said:
I don't get it. Is this a joke?

I guess it is out of Japan.
It's Kojima posting flamebait in order to set the Escapist off again - it's been a quiet week so far apart from Microsoft's duncery.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
ccdohl said:
I don't get it. Is this a joke?
I don't get it either.

Have I mentioned that that character design idea is horrifyingly stupid? Especially since there doesn't seem to be any backstory to it. If there were (something like a holiday resort nearby blew up - and nearly all of her shirts with it - and the one she's supposed to wear right now is drying outside? ... That is improbable, however. There are no real holiday resorts in Afghanistan, except if you count the numerous army camps).

CTYR

Mar 25, 2012
Kojima, this is why you can't have nice things...

Okay, lemme get this straight, you're making a character's costume design more erotic in hopes that it will be more capable of selling figurines and so that women would be more inclined to cosplay as this character? Kojima, I know that in the past you've been one to prefer certain characters to be more sexualized on both sides of the gender line; somtimes even making us become confused about what sort of feelings we should be having for this character (here's looking at you, Snake, and your stupid, sexy, ass), but to blatantly just announce this feels... immature?

If anything, to know that you specifically wanted to make a character more likely to produce erections amongst your fans kinda makes that character, as well as you, a little creepy. Now, whenever I think of this character, my mind will go straight to wondering about what dark room you were lounging in and what sort of actions you were doing at the time when you thought of her.

Also, that's just way too much booty; you gotta leave something to the imagination. In fact, Snake's outfit with all its shapely curves and nice covering is far superior!

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
I don't know if being an open pervert is something to be proud of, but, you know, at least Kojima knows what he likes and what he wants...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Fckin hell...all we need now is more ppl that look nothing like said characters, dressing up as their interpretations of what is sexy and cool in an attempt to feel good about themselves.
But we all know how much money erotica can make, don't we?
Thankyou Kojima very much, you pervy bastard...you'd be arrested if you were in England.

Bleh! If i wanted that type of game, i'd buy dead or alive for once

Nosirrah

Apr 16, 2013
All in favor of calling this thread: "Hideo kojima faps to fans" raise your hands and say aye.

Captcha: kitten mittens. WHY CAPTCHA, WHY?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
They had to keep their tradition so nothing new here, and it probably goes both ways as usual:

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
K_Dub said:
I don't know if being an open pervert is something to be proud of, but, you know, at least Kojima knows what he likes and what he wants...
Yeah, at least he is up front about it. Respect for that.. I suppose.

Admittedly I prefer the more sensible outfits, but still.. At least he is honest.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Meh. I don't think this is as stupid as it's made out to be. Usually the characters you fight are amusing, visually, in some way. They all have a specific weapon or attack patter (there is always a sniper). I think that he would have made Sniper Wolf like this if it didn't take place in Alaska. I don't see why people are so insulted or find this stupid... it's just how he wants to make a character. Though, I don't know how this makes it more "cosplayable". If anything, it's less interesting and inspired than some other designs of character. But that is my opinion on the subject.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
It doesn't matter how many butts or boobs they add to their characters, everyone's favorite Metal Gear Solid cosplay will still be this:

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Hideo Kojima's English is pretty bad, always has been. But that's understandable.

But what I got from this is Hideo was concerned nobody would cosplay the sniper in just a bikini, so instead he had the designer make her more erotic but more covered up, by replacing her bikini bottom with pantyhoses and a thong over them (as seen in picture).

That way cosplayers can cosplay her and be less bare skin exposed.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Bikini-clad sniper? I'd expect nothing less from the man behind naked Raiden.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Angelous Wang said:
Hideo Kojima's English is pretty bad, always has been. But that's understandable.

But what I got from this is Hideo was concerned nobody would cosplay the sniper in just a bikini, so instead he had the designer make her more erotic but more covered up, by replacing her bikini bottom with pantyhoses and a thong over them (as seen in picture).

That's how I read it too. The line "It may not be cosplayable" kinda stood out. I guess he thought the original design would be too risque.

NeedsaBetterName22

Jun 14, 2013
So I follow Kojima on twitter...and apparently he was asked by a cosplayer for the dimensions on Quiet. He then noted that the cosplay he really wanted to see was Skull Face.

Not that absurd sexuality isn't uncommon (naked Raidan, EVA, the torture scene in MGS3) in Metal Gear, but it's a bit dishonest to frame it as Kojima blatantly releasing this information for no reason.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Angelous Wang said:

You actually somehow managed to make it sounds a tiny bit more reasonable, but I don't think a single person agrees with your conclusion. Stereotypes be damned, he has always fit the mold to the T. Next week he'll be talking about how including jiggle physics is somehow vital to open world gameplay.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Mixed feelings.
First, we all need to consider this is Kojima, and ruses could be inbound.
Secondly, we need to consider this is Kojima, and that he'd do this shit just because he had a quiet day at the office at some point.

Really, I respect him for just coming out and saying it, even if I think the reasoning is one of the worst I've heard. At least didn't dance around it and try spin it like Bioware did with DA2.
However, he's designed characters by sex appeal before and those examples didn't turn out so well.
Heres lookin' at you Raiden.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Well at least gaming has someone to counterbalance all the social justice warriors screaming about sexism.