Higgs Boson Points to End of Whole Universe

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
What's with all the doom and gloom? This is actually one of the better end of the universe scenarios, it allows for new universe to move into. Big Freeze, heat death, Big Rip, and Big Crunch don't.

Also, does that mean at the edge of our universe are the remains of an old universe?

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Hey, if there really is an expiration date for the universe, and assuming the cycles in which the universe is redone are somewhat constant, doesn't that make the "computer simulation" theory way more awesome? (with iterations and such)

Captcha: Forget This
Let me dream, Captcha, will you?!

crepesack

May 20, 2008
The hindus were right! "Brahmā lives one hundred of such "years" and then dies. These "hundred years" total 311 trillion 40 billion (311,040,000,000,000) earth years. By these calculations the life of Brahmā seems fantastic and interminable, but from the viewpoint of eternity it is as brief as a lightning flash. In the Causal Ocean there are innumerable Brahmās rising and disappearing like bubbles in the Atlantic." being human sucks.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Ukomba said:
What's with all the doom and gloom? This is actually one of the better end of the universe scenarios, it allows for new universe to move into. Big Freeze, heat death, Big Rip, and Big Crunch don't.
I agree. This end-of-the-universe scenario is vastly more "cheery" than any of the other proposed theories.

Also, does that mean at the edge of our universe are the remains of an old universe?
Theoretically? I'd think so. Especially given there's been a new theory circulating around lately called "The Big Bounce"; a variation of the Big Bang theory.

Essentially, it considers the possibility that this universe burst into being from the collapse of another, older universe.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Ukomba said:
I agree. This end-of-the-universe scenario is vastly more "cheery" than any of the other proposed theories.

Theoretically? I'd think so. Especially given there's been a new theory circulating around lately called "The Big Bounce"; a variation of the Big Bang theory.

Essentially, it considers the possibility that this universe burst into being from the collapse of another, older universe.
But if that is true won't there at the edge of that old universe be the remnants of another even older one?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Roelof Wesselius said:
But if that is true won't there at the edge of that old universe be the remnants of another even older one?
I imagine it would depend on how this "cyclical expansion" operates. But in theory, there could be.

I've not read up on the current state of these new theories; including the latest iteration of the Big Bounce theory; but it would stand to reason that there could be an innumerable number of universes stacked on top of each other, expanding outward to some unknown (or unknowable) fate. In fact, for all we know, this "stacking effect" could be a catalyst for the creation of other, newer universes.

Or, perhaps the expansion of a new universe simply "annihilates" the space-time of the older universe. Or maybe it assimilates the old universe, repurposing the old universes energy/mass.

Again, I can't say. And, for all intents and purposes, neither can modern physics. But at least we're still looking for answers. (and finding more and more each day)

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I still like the Universe in a black hole theory. One day we will create an artificial black hole that contains everything for human life to exist, just like another version of us did 15.3 billion years ago (while it's only been 15 seconds for them). If you think massively enough, could we just be like quantum mechanics to higher being. I'm a particle and a wave.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Hammeroj said:
Man, this sort of space/universe stuff really makes me feel completely shit, almost to the point of a panic attack. Yay science. I'm gonna go masturbate.
Well if it makes you feel any better, your own death is, relatively speaking, mere seconds away.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
The universe DOES have a center! THE RACE IS ON!
Yeah, but like, it's in my pants, don't know if I want you in there... :p Some pretty ladies racin for it is always nice though...

Nut yeah, billions of years to us is a retardedly long time, I'll be long dead and forgotten by then so it's all good.

The

Jan 24, 2012
DaxStrife said:
The theory of a cyclical universe is pretty fascinating, as long as it also doesn't involve a cycle where Reapers kill all sentient life every 50,000 years. :p
No worries. For every Reaper cycle, there's always a Shepard. Except not as good as the first one.

Hasido

Jun 20, 2011
mateushac said:
Hey, if there really is an expiration date for the universe, and assuming the cycles in which the universe is redone are somewhat constant, doesn't that make the "computer simulation" theory way more awesome? (with iterations and such)

Its not the end of the universe, its just the next update and the programmers are starting to implement it (on a ridiculous timescale)! talk about vaporware.

OT: I personally like this end of the universe scenario more than most, because at least something functional is left.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Hammeroj said:
Man, this sort of space/universe stuff really makes me feel completely shit, almost to the point of a panic attack. Yay science. I'm gonna go masturbate.
What?! I think it's amazing. How can you not love stuff like this?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Time to start selling end-of-the-universe shelters. I'm sure there's at least a few nabobs out there who'll buy 'em.

"But what about that whole vacuum-instability thing?"
"Don't worry! It's vacuum-sealed!"
"Deal!"

ShaqLevick

Jul 14, 2009
This is certainly a good thing, I mean vacuum instability would give a cyclical and eternal universe. A much better option than the alternative... Which you know would be the radioactive decay of the last atoms in the universe some 5 billion billion billion billion billion years from now. A future with possibilities is what's best, even if we aren't around for any of it.

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
Futurama was right?! Holy crap. Well maybe not really but who knows for certain. For anyone who's wondering I'm talking about the episode where Bender the professor and Fry see the universe be born and die a few times when they are going through time and the only difference is everything's like 10ft higher than it was before.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Hasido said:
mateushac said:

Its not the end of the universe, its just the next update and the programmers are starting to implement it (on a ridiculous timescale)! talk about vaporware.

OT: I personally like this end of the universe scenario more than most, because at least something functional is left.
Maybe they are just simulating stuff through 1,000 iterations and gathering data on the outcomes

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
I wonder if that is how our universe started. And it is just one endless loop of universes popping out of nowhere and destroying the old one every dozen billion years or so.

If this is true that means... WAS FUTURAMA CORRECT!? After our Universe dies a new one will just appear completely identical to ours? And it will always happen in an endless loop? Only each time the universe will be 5 feet lower then the last???

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I have my own completely nonsensical, uneducated system of evaluating scientific advances by approximating how close a discovery will get us to FTL and this is up here.

God speed scientists, god speed.