High Schoolers Protest Call of Duty Dog Killing

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
High Schoolers Protest Call of Duty Dog Killing

More than 100 students at the Academy of Notre Dame in Massachusetts have signed a petition protesting the killing of dogs in Call of Duty: World at War.

Breanna Lucci, a 19-year-old student at the Academy of Notre Dame High School [http://www.ndatyngsboro.org/] in Tygnsboro, Massachusetts, was watching her older brother play Call of Duty: World at War when she saw something in the game that disgusted her: he killed a dog.

"My little 12-pound Pomeranian, Winnie the Pooh, is sitting next to him, and I'm thinking, 'This looks horrible!'" Lucci recalled [http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_11949013]. "My brother is a sweetheart. He won't be killing dogs after playing. But some people might."

Lucci's fear that "some people might" be driven to kill dogs because of Call of Duty has led her to start a petition protesting what she sees as the despicable acts portrayed in the game. "Killing dogs as a form of entertainment ... over and over again...That's one of the objects of the game," she said. "Parents need to know what they are buying their kids. Killing animals should not be a form of entertainment."

Lucci, who is the president of the school's animal rights club, pushed the petition throughout her school, and has gotten more than 100 classmates to sign their names. She hopes to eventually send it to Activision-Blizzard. Lucci has also won the support of school faculty, including the moderator of her club, Barbara Vitale, an English teacher who emphatically stated that "we don't think killing people is a good idea either."

Neither do we. See, in all the indignant uproar, Lucci and her supporters are missing one important thing: context. Killing dogs is indeed one part of the "form of entertainment" that World at War delivers, but the game is far from a puppy murder sim. These animals are trying to kill you, so maybe killing them back isn't such a horrible thing to do. If we could hug all these rabid canines into submission, we would, but sometimes a rifle's all you got.

Also, Winnie the Pooh is a bear. That's not a very good name for a dog.

[Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5176785/students-protest-call-of-duty-dog-killing]]

Calamity

Aug 22, 2008
Am I the only one disturbed that this girl looked past her brother shooting hundreds of humans and only saw the dog?

Also,
Barbara Vitale, an English teacher who emphatically stated that "we don't think killing people is a good idea either."
I found this line amusing.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Well you know what, after playing Animal Crossing I too experienced an insane urge to kill animals...

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Calamity said:
Am I the only one disturbed that this girl looked past her brother shooting hundreds of humans and only saw the dog?
You are not.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Also, Winnie the Pooh is a bear. That's not a very good name for a dog.
Keane, I wuv you.

On topic...do I really need to say anything really?
This is flat out silly.

countrysteaksauce

Jul 10, 2008
Yes the human animal. Good thing they aren't important and so numerous. We need to thin their population so they don't starve!

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
This is getting utterly ridiculous.

We should start a new organization that finds faults in their activities so we can prevent them from being entertained too.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
"As I watched my brother play, I saw a section where you and your comrades were actually being tortured by Japanese soldiers. 'That's alright,' I thought, 'they did that all the time back then.' But then I saw this one part where a ravenous attack dog tried to kill the main guy, but instead of being able to feast on your jugular, the main character stabs the dog! Torture was in style once, killing a dog out of self defense never was."

I mean come on, that's just lame. That little 'context' thing you alluded to might come in handy some day for her. Also, about the dog's name, I agree completely.

VaioStreams

May 7, 2008
it's just a game. you'd think at 19 she would realize that.....then again it seems to be a past time of high schoolers these days to shoot up their schools

roblikestoskate

Oct 16, 2008
Killing a trained attack dog in a game to survive. Wow. Maybe that English teacher sponsor should do a lecture on narrative context.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I don't see why it is such a big deal. 1. It is war. 2. They are trained to kill you. 3. There was dog killing in COD4 and 5. It is a video game, as in not real but fake.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
I always feel kind of bad about the dogs in Fallout 3. No sympathy for the people in the Wasteland, of course. Even when nuking Megaton. But I don't like killing the dogs or Yao Guai if I can help it. (Animal Friend Perk FTW)

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
This is why the public school system should remove the political correctness class and replace it with the "don't be so fucking sensitive" class. Strange how she's so protective of dogs considering she's a PUSSY-cat.

Also, this girl is destined to join PETA, where she will never be heard from again (insert joke).