Hip-Hop and Rap: What are your thoughts?

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Rap can be some really cool shit. I dig it, depending on the artist. Hell of a better genre than metal, just had to put that out there for the Escapist.

PattyG

May 15, 2011
I think people think too much of other musical genres when comparing them to rap and hip-hop (I'm actually not a fan of that distinction, by the way). Remember that rap is still a fairly young genre, and a lot of the messages haven't really matured in the mainstream yet. Have you all listened to early rock and roll music? I love the blues and the early rock and roll that it evolved from, but it tends to express some pretty bland sentiments. A lot of songs are three verses of "my woman cheated on me" or "I'm gonna get laid." Which is fine, we can all get behind that. But let's hold the relatively young genre of rap to the same standard. That's why I don't think it's fair to say mainstream rap doesn't yet express enough interesting thoughts. And it's this kind of negative reputation that leads to Fox News slandering Common when he was invited to a White House poetry event.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Wu-tang Clan, Beastie Boys, Jay Z, Kanye West, Public Enemy, Nas, Outkast, probably more i just can't remember off the top of my head.

Arctarus'sCookie

May 9, 2011
I personally hate nearly all hip-hop rap. Some of it is okay, like 4% of what I hear. Almost all the rappers are autotuned morons who probably couldn't count past 10. And I don't care how many gold diggers want to sleep with them.
Good: Sugar hill gang- Rapper's delight.
Bad: Pretty much everything else. Especially that "lil' wayne" fellow.

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
I don't enjoy it. When I listen to the vocals, I just don't like the sound of it. I generally don't like the topics covered either. Not even going to say that I'm sure there's some out there that I like, just not enough to make it worth looking for. I simply don't like the sound of it. I judge people who listen to rap/hip-hop the same way I judge people who like any other type of music. i.e I don't.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Hip-Hop is okay in my book. I can at least see the artistic value in it.

Rap, on the other hand, is just the profanity-laced drivel of a whole bunch of rich, entitled gangsta posers (I'm looking at you, Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy). I literally begin to feel physically ill when I hear it. It's just so...disgusting. Nothing about it sounds good. The music is awful. The vocals are sickening. Put them together and it makes me just want to puke.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
OldKingClancy said:
I'm not a big fan of either but my view is this.

Rap - Nursery rhymes with swearing and references to money, guns and bitches.

Hip-Hop - An actual music genre, personal I consider Hip-Hop to have a few good songs and it is essential rap without the chauvinistic wankers
E.G. - Rapper's Delight by The Suger Hill Gang despite having rapping is a Hip-Hop song.
Not really:
Hip-hop - a culture created in the 1970's in South Bronx in order to give the people from the ghettos a positive alternative to their otherwise miserable lifestyles (high crime rate, poverty, unemployment etc.). The forms of artistic expressions include music (rap, dj'ing, human beatbox), painting (graffiti),dance (breaking, popping, locking, etc.) and many more.

I suggest starting your experience with rap from the classics like:

KRS One:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnydK0phSqM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnI8JEW7Ty4

Rakim:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPkWYTUiPTo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y1Emb7Jyks

Chubb Rock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyS6DeuX5R4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90g6iElTyAE

I've been saying this for a while but THE SO-CALLED "RAP" ON TV AND THE RADIO IS REALLY POP MUSIC.

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
Rap isn't really my thing, man. I'm sure there is some really good rap, but I can't be bothered to look for it. I'm more of a 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's rock guy.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
AgentNein said:
Rap can be some really cool shit. I dig it, depending on the artist. Hell of a better genre than metal, just had to put that out there for the Escapist.
Damn man your asking for it :p

I like the old school

The new stuff is just mostly bout hos and money.

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
hip and rap: oh look some people using crap around them to rhyme... oh look a song about bitches and hos. oh this ones about drugs. another about bitches and hos. THIS ones about some stupid thing where they repeat the same lines over and over... i could write better lyrics in my sleep. one about losing your man...girl...(insert person here)... one about a man BEATING a girl... oh hey an abusive girl. drugs. bitches and hos. getting drunk. getting drunk. getting drunk. getting drunk. getting CRUNK. bad english, bad english, bad english, bad english... gang sign gang sign gang sign.

so no, i dont hate rap and hip hop. i DESPISE it. the whole culture it sparked is SO asinine and testosterone driven it makes me sick.

Oinodaemon

Apr 9, 2009
Um, NWA and Beastie Boys were kickass. After that, all downhill. Eminem had some decent music, when he wasn't just spewing random hate.
Modern hip hop is the stupidest shit, though...Lil Wayne needs to stop with that lame ass voice effect where it sounds like he's underwater.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Tsaba said:
Can't spell crap without the rap.
And you can't spell smother without the mother.

I'm pretty sure I've already talked about this before, so I'll just leave this here:

If you don't want to listen to it, fine, but you're missing out and we all make fun of you behind your back. Even Mike.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
I like Eminem, and that's about it. But both Rap and Hip-hop have so much crap, you really gotta look for the gems.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Mike Laserbeam said:
I want to hear the conversation Kanye West had with his producer about this album art.

"So what do you want, Kanye? A close up of you scowling with some guns all around?"

"Naw, man, put a mufuckin bear there."

"What?"

"Yeah, a bear. Or maybe just a fuckin dude in a bear outfit. Have him sittin his ass on some bench lookin all sad n shit. Maybe havin him wearin fuckin people clothes on top too."

"But why a bear?"

"Idunno man, maybe people'll think it's deep n shit."

In other news, that's probably the most meaningful song I've ever seen by Kanye West. He's just such a douche I like to keep as far away from him as possible.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Marik2 said:
AgentNein said:
Damn man your asking for it :p
I can't help myself sometimes.

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
Psycho-Toaster said:
William Ossiss said:
hip and rap: oh look some people using crap around them to rhyme... oh look a song about bitches and hos. oh this ones about drugs. another about bitches and hos. THIS ones about some stupid thing where they repeat the same lines over and over... i could write better lyrics in my sleep. one about losing your man...girl...(insert person here)... one about a man BEATING a girl... oh hey an abusive girl. drugs. bitches and hos. getting drunk. getting drunk. getting drunk. getting drunk. getting CRUNK. bad english, bad english, bad english, bad english... gang sign gang sign gang sign.

so no, i dont hate rap and hip hop. i DESPISE it. the whole culture it sparked is SO asinine and testosterone driven it makes me sick.
Sounds like someone's only ever listened to two, maybe three hip-hop songs in their life.
or someone who grew up watching nothing but mtv music videos. you didnt even comment on the asinine culture it sparked. and the bad english.