History Channel Renews Vikings For a Fourth Season

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
History Channel Renews Vikings For a Fourth Season

After scoring strong ratings with the early episodes of its third season, the History Channel has ordered a fourth season for its scripted series Vikings.

Back in 2013, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/history%20channel?os=history+channel>the History Channel decided to take a step away from its educational fare and take a chance on its first scripted series: Vikings. A work of historical fiction, it focused on the legendary warlord Ragnar Lothbrok, the show instantly won over audiences with good writing, visceral battles and great performances from its cast.

Last month the show launched into <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014/11988-Vikings-Teaser-Trailer-Shows-New-Season-Three-Footage>its third season and, while it still has a way to go, the reaction from viewers has apparently already been really good. So good, in fact, that the History Channel has announced that it has green lit the show for a season four. "Vikings has raided the hearts of both audiences and critics, establishing itself as one of the most compelling, visually stunning dramas on television," said History general manager Dirk Hoogtra. The first five episodes of season four have apparently averaged 4.3 million viewers, making it the most viewed cable series on Thursday nights across all of the key demographics. Filming of season four will commence this spring in Ireland.

Just speaking personally, I couldn't be more happy about this news. Vikings has had me hooked since its first episode and, since then, each new season has only dragged me deeper into its world. If the History Channel thinks it can keep the show's momentum going through a fourth season, I and many others will happily be waiting to see where it takes us next.

Source: Deadline

Jan 12, 2012
Just finished "Born Again", the latest episode, and I'm pumped for more Vikings. It's a darn good show, both theatrically and historically, and I want to see how it shakes out.
I want to see how far they go in the story of Ragnar's sons, and now with the birth of Alfred the Great I wonder if they're going to plow right through the century.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I lost interest primarily because of the horrible air time. Seriously, who airs a show at eleven P.M. at night on a Tuesday? There's another reason, but we'll skip that. I have seen it pop up on Hulu with the first two seasons. Might have to give it a go again.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
The portrayal of the history is somewhat "interesting" to say the least. Thats said, I do enjoy watching it and its fun so the real history doesn't matter so much . Largely beacsue of this guy

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
2013? Pretty sure the History Channel stepped away from 'Educational Fare' long before then.

That said, as a sucker for all things Viking, should probably check this out...

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Megalodon said:
2013? Pretty sure the History Channel stepped away from 'Educational Fare' long before then.
To be fair, this is closer to being educational than their usual fare for the past several years. I mean, at least it's not a show about the "ALIENS!" guy...

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Just finished "Born Again", the latest episode, and I'm pumped for more Vikings. It's a darn good show, both theatrically and historically, and I want to see how it shakes out.
I want to see how far they go in the story of Ragnar's sons, and now with the birth of Alfred the Great I wonder if they're going to plow right through the century.
I'm also very curious to see what direction they go in with his kids and Rollo considering its been confirmed that he is suppose to be the Rollo, founder of the de Normandy dynasty.

Jan 12, 2012
Elfgore said:
I lost interest primarily because of the horrible air time. Seriously, who airs a show at eleven P.M. at night on a Tuesday? There's another reason, but we'll skip that. I have seen it pop up on Hulu with the first two seasons. Might have to give it a go again.
What kind of cable package do you have? We see it Thursdays at 10 here in Canada, and I thought that was the first air time. And aside from Hulu, the History Channel website lets you watch all the episodes there: http://www.history.ca/vikings/

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
So how accurate is the show? I've never seen it, and it's on History so it could be anywhere from hard historical facts to a fantasy land that has Valkyries fighting along side the Vikings instead of being only part of Helga's myths.

Jan 12, 2012
Zontar said:
So how accurate is the show? I've never seen it, and it's on History so it could be anywhere from hard historical facts to a fantasy land that has Valkyries fighting along side the Vikings instead of being only part of Helga's myths.
Pretty good. I'm in the field of medieval history, and one of my colleges specializes in Scandinavia, and he has nothing but praise. It's reasonably accurate in the basics of how they lived with only a bit of TV gloss around the religious rituals. The storyline takes the legends of Ragnar as fact when in reality the truth is a lot more murky (he probably existed, but definitely didn't give birth to all the sons attributed to him), but that's fine by me; it's grounded otherwise, so a bit of genealogical license doesn't hurt.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Zontar said:
Pretty good. I'm in the field of medieval history, and one of my colleges specializes in Scandinavia, and he has nothing but praise. It's reasonably accurate in the basics of how they lived with only a bit of TV gloss around the religious rituals. The storyline takes the legends of Ragnar as fact when in reality the truth is a lot more murky (he probably existed, but definitely didn't give birth to all the sons attributed to him), but that's fine by me; it's grounded otherwise, so a bit of genealogical license doesn't hurt.
With that description, I might just give it a look if I get the time.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Zontar said:
It's an absolute abomination in terms of costuming, plotting, and arms and armor. The first season's plotline revolves around the Vikings not knowing that there's such a thing as Britain. It's a fine show, but it's best to expect absolutely nothing from its historical accuracy.