Hitman: Absolution Dev Says Most Players Won't Finish the Game

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Fuck that shit! Games are expensive! I'm gonna finish it, even if I don't like it!

I finished Duke, for fucks sake! DUKE! DUKE NUKEM FOREVER! I FINISHED IT!

Apr 5, 2008
According to internal metrics, only one in five players will make it to Absolution's credits.

Developer IO Interactive is using a lot of metrics while working on Hitman: Absolution, and the results aren't always pretty. According to game director Tore Blystad, the unwillingness of gamers to commit to one title for a long period of time means "the general player will probably never even finish the game."
And many, including long term fans of the series will probably never even start the game.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
gigastar said:
Thats an interesting marketing tactic.

For instance, why would most of us not finish the game?
RustlessPotato said:
It's obviously reverse psychology. " You won't even finish that game".
These.

I call this bullshit exaggeration.

1. There are no details about these tests.
2. No explanation about why these tests aren't applicable to any other game that is to be released.
3. He hardly gives any reasons other than "the earlier levels aren't interesting enough." (gee never seen that before)

If IO has to resort to this shit to market their game then they finally are realizing how much they've fucked up so far with this "fifth installment." Or maybe they just want to goad sales from the players who have been turned off by their irritableness.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
...Why? Is...is the game that long? From what I gathered, he was just saying that the gamers would get bored because of the the storyline set-up and as such they tried to add in replayability. I'm not seeing why this would make a gamer not be able to finish? Will they not want to commit, and if so, why are they not engaging the player enough? This whole thing just seems odd.

Sidonis

Nov 26, 2011
A strange thought:
Make your fucking game fun, and people will finish it.

Telling us that 4/5 people aren't going to finish the game is basically just saying they're confident that the game is shit.
This isn't Skyrim or GTA where you're expected to keep the player engrossed for hours. This is a short game with a linear story and slightly non-linear levels.
Make the story good and people will finish it. Make the story bad (which evidently they're confident that they have done) and people won't.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
darkstone said:
If they get 60 dollars in their pocket it shouldn't matter if I play only one level, or all of them. As long as they got their money they shouldn't care.
Actually, that would make them on par with EA and Activision. This is kind of a good thing, showing concern if the gaming community will like something they created shows love and care went into the development. Not many studios do that anymore.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Only one in five people will complete it? Well, I'll complete it! Just to improve those scores! (Unless the game is shit. Let's pretend it isn't shit.)

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Let's see here...

Looking through Steam I see a lot of games I didn't finish, but most of those games are very very bad games I picked up in a sale or humble indie bundle.

There's a few, maybe 6 or 7 of them that might be decent that I ended up deleting to make space for more interesting ones. Among those is, unsurprisingly enough, every Hitman game available on Steam. I tried to play Codename 47 and gave up because it seems to suffer from Morrowind syndrome(directions are vague and poorly explained at best, terrible controls and combat, etc.) and leaves you to throw yourself at a problem 1000 times until you accidentally stumble across the right method to do it, then you have to throw yourself at the right method 100 more times to get the stars to align and actually succeed.

I did finally just skip it and move on to Blood Money and it's a lot better, haven't gotten around to finishing it yet though.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Grygor said:
Protip everyone:

Achievement tracking and other gaming metrics show that the overwhelming majority of people who play a game fail to complete it, or even progress very far. Any game.
This.

And now I feel bad for having such a huge backlog of unfinished gaems.

BRB GUILT TRIP

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
I've finished every Hitman game (cleaned out is the more appropriate phrase) and I have no doubt I'll finish this one.

I suspect they'll find that the rate of non completion probably holds across most games with little fluctuation in the percentage.

It's nothing to do with their game, it's the sad state of modern humans and their deficit attention spans.

When a 20 hour game is considered long... we have problems.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
I accept your challenge IO-I completed Freedom Fighters twice after all!

But surely the best way to keep people playing to the very end would be to make a compelling game? Or develop a game mechanic that spews five dollar notes from the console for every hour played.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
mrdude2010 said:
Oh how pathetic kids are these days with their inability to pay attention to a game for long periods of time or complete difficult parts.
I bet the completion rate of snes games were waaaaaaay lower tbh. : p

Stripes

May 22, 2012
Have they said why people arent finishing it? Seems strange to admit people are losing interest in tests since it reflects pretty badly on the game.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
This isn't new, the majority of games aren't finished by the majority of players - I remember it was news when it came out that 70% of players finished heavy rain.