Hoax or Horror Story Come to Life? Video Captures Haunted Puppet

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Hoax or Horror Story Come to Life? Video Captures Haunted Puppet

In a moment ripped right out of Annabelle, a paranormal investigator has apparently captured footage of a haunted puppet moving on its own.

Look, I'll be the first to admit that I have always been a skeptic when it comes to the paranormal. Seeing is believing, after all, and in today's age of digital trickery, "Ghost Hunters" (which might just be the dumbest reality show of them all), and viral videos which later turn out to be marketing pranks masterminded by Jimmy Kimmel, it's hard to take anything at face value. But on the other hand, GHOST PUPPET.

According to The Daily Mail [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3194901/Creepy-moment-haunted-puppet-said-choked-previous-owner-starts-moving-inside-sealed-glass-container-middle-night.html], the story goes like this: The above footage was captured by a paranormal investigator, Jayne Harris, who had received the supposed haunted puppet from a man (only identified as "John"), who himself had inherited it after his father passed away.

The previous owner began to suspect that an apparition had somehow attached itself to the doll, even claiming to have awoken one night to the sensation of being choked:

I cleared out all of my dad's belongings apart from the puppet, which I left on the drawer by my bed for some reason and that night it felt like I was being choked. I was wide awake in bed and thought I saw a shadow move from one side of the window to the other and worried something was trying to scare us. Then without warning my throat suddenly went really tight, I've never had anyone's hands around my throat before so it was really scary.

This "John" then gave the puppet to Harris, who placed it in "a sealed glass case blessed with holy water" and proceeded to film it each and every night for 3 months before capturing this footage, which is either undeniable proof of the spirit world or that Ms. Harris has a rat problem.

Like I said, this footage may very well turn out to be nothing more than a viral ad for Annabelle 2: This Time It's Personal, but isn't the pursuit of the unexplainable and the unknown what we're all about here at The Escapist?

I dunno, I'm new here.

Source:The Daily Mail [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3194901/Creepy-moment-haunted-puppet-said-choked-previous-owner-starts-moving-inside-sealed-glass-container-middle-night.html]

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
It's daily mail. Of course it's a crock of shit. This is the same paper that has a list of of the things that cause cancer.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
chocolate pickles said:
It's daily mail. Of course it's a crock of shite.
Different from the usual though. If this was a standard Daily Mail article, it would be about how the puppet is a Muslim immigrant that's stealing our taxes and giving use house cancer.

OT: Fake, but I still would really love to know how they did it. Half the fun of special effects is trying to figure out what they used.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
JaredJones said:
According to The Daily Mail [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3194901/Creepy-moment-haunted-puppet-said-choked-previous-owner-starts-moving-inside-sealed-glass-container-middle-night.html],
As someone who lives in the UK, I'm sorry to say that anything quoted from the daily mail is pretty much false. They are one of the most missleading, one sided papers in the UK and are untrust worthy at best

Even true things, once published in The Daliy Mail, automatically become false by association

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Gravity sure is spooky... I am not seeing anything impressive here. It also doesn't help that the owner of the doll looks like someone who just got out of mental ward.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Why is this in the news section? Is there a rule against contributors just posting mundane stuff like this in Off Topic?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The daily mail = sensationalist hate paper. Oh with cancer and celebrities. I was all interested up until those tellling two words.
Puppets don't scare me much, I don't know if it is related to the clown thing, but it feels related somehow. Still wouldn't leave either around my kids though.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
As for the bit about the guy feeling like he was being choked: sounds like a good ol' fashioned case of Sleep Paralysis.

I was inflicted by Sleep Paralysis one night a few years ago...it was absolutely terrifying...but the adrenaline rush I received from it kinda made me hope that it happened again. :3

For those that don't know: sleep paralysis is basically waking up while you're still dreaming. Your mind basically paralyzes you while you're asleep so that you don't act out your dreams (people who have a tendency to sleep walk have a sleeping disorder where this does not always happen). As such, if you wake up while you're still actively dreaming, you'll feel as though you're being pinned down by some unseen force. Seeing shadows move and feeling as though something is in your room watching you are common symptoms seeing as how your mind is still dreaming despite your eyes being open (so essentially you're straight-up hallucinating :p), though symptoms can vary from person to person.

For me, this giant, gray, shimmering "gas" flowed through my apartment and started hovering just above me before horrific "silent screaming" faces began to emerge on the surface before sinking back in. Had I not known about sleep paralysis, I likely would have thought some paranormal shit just went down. But in cases like this it's best to just remain calm, close your eyes, and go back to sleep. :p

As for the puppet: yeah, doesn't seem all that spectacular to me.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I got stuff on my shelves that fall over all the time. It's called 'moving around due to me stomping on the floor until it reaches an inevitable tipping point'.

...does this mean I'm the ghost?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"I saw a shadow move from one side of the window to the other and worried something was trying to scare us. "

Uhmmmm, what a bizarre thing to say! Worried that it would.... scare us? Your ass was appearantly already scared! Try maim or kill?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
ritchards said:
I got stuff on my shelves that fall over all the time. It's called 'moving around due to me stomping on the floor until it reaches an inevitable tipping point'.

"WHAT A TWIST!"
Also: "The ghost was in you all along!" ;)

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
So, I'm not the only one disappointed something didn't jump at the screen before the end?

I think jumpscare games have ruined me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AidoZonkey said:
As someone who lives in the UK, I'm sorry to say that anything quoted from the daily mail is pretty much false. They are one of the most missleading, one sided papers in the UK and are untrust worthy at best

Even true things, once published in The Daliy Mail, automatically become false by association
I'm not even from the UK, and my reaction to seeing "Daily Mail" was "okay, fake then."

I'd be a little more impressed, however, if I could see more than a little motion. For example, a higher quality video. Or one where I could tell this was actually a sealed container.

ritchards said:

No, but I think it means FNAF5 is confirmed.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mikeybb said:
So, I'm not the only one disappointed something didn't jump at the screen before the end?

I think jumpscare games have ruined me.
And not just because you're missing your frontal lobe.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
VanQ said:
Why is this in the news section? Is there a rule against contributors just posting mundane stuff like this in Off Topic?
What do you expect? This site is quickly transforming into clickbait central. The "News" section in particular is becoming a joke. Seriously, have a look at the latest 3 pages of news articles - it's almost like Buzzfeed.