Holiday Gift Guide 2014 - What Should You Buy/Ask For This Year?

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Holiday Gift Guide 2014 - What Should You Buy/Ask For This Year?

Check out what gifts to grab for the geeky person in your life this Holiday season.

Read Full Article

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
That Rubber Band Machine Gun looks just like a Hellsing from the Metro series. Makes you wonder.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
On what basis are these items recommended? Would be nice if we could get a disclosure if any of that was sponsored. Just curious, you probably just thought these were cool things to show but with that whole kerfuffle of the last months going on I'd really like to know if it was sponsored :)

Otherwise, some very interesting stuff among that. Now I kind of want a Plushthulu... but it'd only collect dust... and no small children in the extended family to teach it R'lyehian in its sleep. :(

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
An okay selection and I did enjoy the "lottery" part. One thing I would say is that recommending The Walking Dead game that was originally based on a comic in the Film and TV section, when there's a section for both games and comics above and below is a tad nonsensical.

rofltehcat said:
On what basis are these items recommended? Would be nice if we could get a disclosure if any of that was sponsored. Just curious, you probably just thought these were cool things to show but with that whole kerfuffle of the last months going on I'd really like to know if it was sponsored :)
Well, it looks like they're using affiliate links - they get money every time something is bought using that link - which some people might have a problem with. Personally, I don't mind them so long as they're disclosed. Besides that though, I think everything's fine. Maybe the 2K disclosure they usually do, since Borderlands: TPS is there, but that's just looking for stuff to complain about at that point =P

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Congradulations. pages and pages of "suggestions" with only 2-3 things that caught my eye, that will be bought from the company and not from links. it's seriously always amusing seeing companies come up with "suggested holiday guides"......'s always mostly either things you've never heard of or things you'll never get......and maybe one or two actual good things.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
You can't go wrong with a Cthulhu plush. Everybody loves Cthulhu!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i can certainly recommend the G510 mouse. having it my self and i sure enjoy it. adjusting it to your surface really feels different.

still considering about the keyboard though. but i sure have to get alien isolation.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
This list was kinda bleh. Except for most of the items in the Comics and Movies/TV section, much of this list seems to be corporate sponsors trying less to get word of a product's existence out and more trying to offload old stock using the holidays as a tool to do so. I'm pretty sure I've seen that same Tardis cookie jar years ago. The books (and maybe the sound bar) are the only things that belong in the Science and Tech tab. Where are the flying drones, ipod docks shaped like Daleks, or Wifi cameras with Nerf launchers?
Except for the one game I got already(Bravely Default), no other game is worth buying/asking for until some major price drops happens. Also, someone in the FB comments mentioned that the Retron 5 uses stolen emulation code. A couple of sites have articles backing that claim up. Either way, you're better off finding the old systems/hardware-identical reproductions, and skipping emulation issues, and cleaning the contacts and case, if necessary, getting a cartridge adapter for PC, or buying the games off of the Virtual Console or similar services.

Unless you live in an area where the theaters fill up every weekend, Fandango has always been a near useless service. If you think a show will sell out, call ahead of time to find out what the seating is like an hour or so before you plan on leaving to get to the cineplex, then do the Fandangoing if you're really scared, or just go on a Monday or Tuesday, where the jerks constantly messing with candy wrappers and cell calls and the sugar fueled kids are lesser in numbers.

Cash that's not locked down to a single business is a better gift than a gift card, anyway. Get them a holiday card filled with cash if the "it's the thought that counts" mantra is bugging you and you can't think of a better gift. In fact, if you have a decent idea of what they want but don't want to risk the hassle/embarrassment of them saying they got it already/ or it's not their kind of thing, research the best deals to buy want they like and give them you results. Saving them some of that money and the headache of trying to do it themselves is more then enough of a give for most people.

The Roku is basically redundant, since every console, every laptop, and almost every tablet with TV out functionality fills the streaming role already, along with most new TV's over 40" having "smert fee-tures" that support every major streaming service. This is a gift for Grandma to watch Murder She Wrote without the hassle of PCs or vidja garmes boxes, not for someone on the Escapist, who probably has at least two boxes that do this kind of thing already. (Just don't get me involved if you do buy one for Gran-Gran. I got enough network/PC issues to explain to the extended family.)

A $120 grand TV set? Fuck that noise. That's the cost of a 4k cinema projector. You could get a 4k projector for you home for less than $4000 and a 105" screen for less than $200. If you're worried about black levels and have a budget of even $5000, chances are good you have a dedicated room for your home cinema that is either windowless or has the best drapes/blinds money can buy. Even if I had enough money to lite my Cuban cigars with a roll of Benjamins, I'd go down the projector route, instead of watching a $100k investment dive bomb faster the the 1929 stock market crash.

Mike_Kocsis said:
The reviews for that 105" tv are some of the best amazon reviews I've read in awhile.
Once again, overpriced crap for pretentious rich people makes for the best online reviews. Though, five pages in and I still haven't found a mention of the necessary $1,000-$15,000 HDMI cables to go with such an awesome TV set. I am disappoint.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Some pretty neat items on these lists, but I sure hope you at least got paid to make those keyboard, mouse and headset recommendations, because there is waaay better stuff out there.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
dont bother with the mouse i have one and the software for it is totally borked i have spent hours and hours trying to get it to work so now im stuck with a half functional mouse its a great mouse if you are happy with 3 buttons and a scroll wheel

on the other hand the Dr Who biscuit jar looks really cool

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
An okay selection and I did enjoy the "lottery" part. One thing I would say is that recommending The Walking Dead game that was originally based on a comic in the Film and TV section, when there's a section for both games and comics above and below is a tad nonsensical.
The whole Film and TV section was rather nonsensical, given that only 4/10 items actually belonged in it. Books, games, Lego sets and cookie jars are not films or TV shows.

Slegiar Dryke said:
it's seriously always amusing seeing companies come up with "suggested holiday guides"......'s always mostly either things you've never heard of or things you'll never get......and maybe one or two actual good things.
You do realise that's kind of the point, right? Listing a bunch of stuff that you already know about and have already decided you want would be completely pointless.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
The factoid for Pre-sequel is incorrect. The term 'Joy Puke' first appeared in the Borderlands 2 'Doomsday' preview video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW7qO_wpfvk

I would need to check to see if the term was actually ever used in any of the Pre-sequels preview videos.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Oooooh, do you have any information about the X-COM board game being out in time for christmas? I pre-ordered that for my brother, and on FFG's website it's still marked as "on the boat", i. e. on its way from the manufacturer to FFG'S warehouse...

sjard

Mar 21, 2008
Hmm, page 4... #1, #3, and #7 already have. Need more of 1 though (planning about 4 pounds worth next month, already have 4 pounds worth).

#3, well it's been a long time since i was excited about D&D... since just after i finished college in 93. I mostly moved on to generic point buy systems. Now if only the Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat books had had four or five more editing passes.

#7. Haven't played it yet, but it looks good. Got it to demo at an unfortunately now ULGS.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Is the Retron actually good? I've heard it had some dubious compatibility issues, which would kind of suck the fun out of the 'play all your old games' thing.