Hololens Dev Kits Are Coming This Month, Cost $3,000

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hololens Dev Kits Are Coming This Month, Cost $3,000

Developers will finally get their hands on Microsoft's fancy new toy this month.

While all of the big tech players seem to be squabbling over who can make the Hololens augmented reality project [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/vive?os=%20vive]. We're not quite sure exactly how it will work, but we should start to get some answers towards the end of this month, as Microsoft has announced the release date of the Hololens dev kit: March 30.

If you're a budding developer who is interested, you can actually go ahead and Windows Insider [https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us/development-edition] program.

[gallery=5878]

"HoloLens is an amazing Windows 10 device, and the APIs responsible for holographic computing are already available in Windows 10. Starting today, developers will have access to documentation, and to the developer community, that will help them create amazing experiences," wrote Microsoft.

There are plenty of technical details on the official website [https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us/development-edition] for the development edition, which give a bit of detail about how the sorcery behind the device works.

Let's just hope that when the consumer edition eventually hits the market, it's a tad less expensive than $3,000...

Source: Microsoft [https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2016/02/29/announcing-microsoft-hololens-development-edition-open-for-pre-order-shipping-march-30/?ocid=Evergreen_soc_text_learnmore_tw_USA_holomark_Organic_0229Blog_1]

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
gact said:
I'm waiting to see how underwhelming they really are
That's one way to look at it.
I'm excited to see the different applications in everyday life that developers can come up with that no-one has even thought of yet!

Obviously waaaaay down the line, but if something like HoloLens became affordable/smaller, I could see the TV market going into a tailspin if you could digitally pin a screen wherever you want.

One can hope & dream :)

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Making it so inaccessible is probably their way of limiting a lot of expected bad coverage by potential reviewers. I think that, for now, all they have is an overpriced stinkbomb and it needs a LOT more time in development.

It's interesting because Oculus did the exact opposite, making the price kind of reasonable and allowing anybody with interest to purchase a DK from their website. Then again, they probably already knew they had something good on their hands.

kat-pottz

Jan 25, 2011
Is pic 3 teasing a conker ar game? (on topic) Hololens could be really cool but considering what they have been showing us so far it just seems the tech is way to young to be worth it for a good long time.

Apr 5, 2008
Whatever happened to that projector thing that extended a game's image to fill the entire room? That was one I was genuinely interested in.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
KingsGambit said:
Whatever happened to that projector thing that extended a game's image to fill the entire room? That was one I was genuinely interested in.
Likewise, that thing looked really damn awesome

i don't even remember what it was called to look into it

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
the.chad said:

Obviously waaaaay down the line, but if something like HoloLens became affordable/smaller, I could see the TV market going into a tailspin if you could digitally pin a screen wherever you want.

One can hope & dream :)
This is one of the main thing's I'm interested in as far as AR goes; its ability to revolutionize mobile computing. You could have as many virtual screens of whatever size you want without the need to carry around a bulky table/laptop. You'd still need some kind of physical input method, but the screen size would no longer be tied to the device's size.