Holy Crap, Saw Doesn't Suck

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Holy Crap, Saw Doesn't Suck

One of E3's biggest surprises this year came from a tiny corner of the Konami booth.

Read Full Article

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Hmmm, I hope there is a demo for the public to be released. Might be worth a look.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
The Great JT said:
Maybe this one shows promise.

But I remain skeptical.
Pretty much this. Plenty of games have seemed to have good demos and then turned out to suck when they actually get released. It has potential, I suppose, but I still very much doubt it will be anything better than mediocre.

Digression: Saw is a horror movie? When did this happen?

Reg0

Dead Eye
Jun 15, 2009
I had heard rumours of a saw game and laughed probably like most people would have, but after reading the review i think konami have gotten it right from the sounds of thing the game isnt based of the movie (strictly) and the game plays like a survival horror with puzzles,

to me it sounds like a cross between return to monkey island adventure with a more gruesome theme, probably over simplifying a little.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
It sounds like it would be a good wii title, with the unorthodox controls and all that. It could be an interesting title.

I bet the reviews come back: Great premise, enjoyable though clunky in places and too short with no replayability.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Stoic Person Eater said:
I'm very interested in the release of this game. It looks to be something totally different than the cookie cutter FPS and 3rd person games that have been released lately.

Also, brutal over-the-top violence is always a plus.
Ok, one thing I left out -- the violence is not nearly as graphic as it should be for this particular game. I'm not a fan of blood for blood's sake, but given the source material for this particular title, it should be way more graphic than it is.

And I still remain skeptical of the final product, but whereas before I thought the thing was a joke, I'm now cautiously optimistic. I really was quite impressed with the demo, short though it was. If the rest of the game stays as smart as the demo, it'll be pretty damn fun.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm relatively amazed the game isn't a bomb!
Now if they could just make the movies good we'd be on a roll!

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
i'm definitly going to check this out, since i just started watching the movies out of recommendation

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Chaossebba said:
i'm definitly going to check this out, since i just started watching the movies out of recommendation
The game I can believe being alright, the movies? Pfft...

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Stoic Person Eater said:
I'm very interested in the release of this game. It looks to be something totally different than the cookie cutter FPS and 3rd person games that have been released lately.

Also, brutal over-the-top violence is always a plus.
Ok, one thing I left out -- the violence is not nearly as graphic as it should be for this particular game. I'm not a fan of blood for blood's sake, but given the source material for this particular title, it should be way more graphic than it is.

And I still remain skeptical of the final product, but whereas before I thought the thing was a joke, I'm now cautiously optimistic. I really was quite impressed with the demo, short though it was. If the rest of the game stays as smart as the demo, it'll be pretty damn fun.
Perhaps the thought that "constantly watching your jaw get ripped from your skull" wouldn't be good for PR (or endurable) crossed the developers' minds. Still, as a fan of the first Saw - not a fan of gore - I understand we expect a lot of graphic violence when the franchise's title is mentioned.

Thanks for preview though, I am now also cautiously optimistic and eager to get a hold of the results.

Regarding narrative, one thing did leave me confused (and I'll put this in spoilers given it has to do with the plot in the movies):

If the game takes place in between the first and second movies then how can Danny Glover be alive if his throat was slit at the ending of the first one?

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I actually had this game listed in my mind as a sleeper hit, considering how much flak it got when it was first announced... I could see a couple ways that it would work, and one of them seems to be the direction they went.. I'm optimistic about it.

Still poor as heck, so I probably won't buy it, but I thought it might be decent.. Popular Opinion when a new game or peripheral is announced tends to be opposite to the reality of the success of the product... The more excited people are at the announcement of something, the worse it will do. People were spitting on Saw as soon as it appeared on the horizon :p